Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 15:48   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Pros and Cons for BVI Registration vs Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
As for a BVI registration, I don't see the point when Canada is free. ( $250 registration fee and no survey required if less than 15 meters )
You may have missed that the OP is talking about a catamaran. The simplified tonnage measurement (free) cannot be done on his vessel, that applies only to monhulls and simple multi-hulls i.e. those without cabin structure. He will require a tonnage measurement by a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage measurer.
Old 11-04-2016, 15:55   #17

Boat: PDQ32

I wanted to be a good Canadian and register my FP Orana in Canada however when they told me that since it was a catamaran I needed a tonnage survey. This would require hauling the boat out and hiring one of two recognized tonnage surveyors. The cost of this exercise would be considerable with the end result being a number that has no relevance for a pleasure boat.

Accordingly while I fly a Canadian flag the boat is identified with Delaware as the home port.
Old 11-04-2016, 15:55   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

You are right, I didn't see that it was a Cat. I have a monohull, albeit with a cabin structure, that qualified for the simplified measurement exemption.

Ford did however speak with TC today, hopefully he disclosed that the boat is a Cat and they would have advised him if there was a requirement for a survey.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:04   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
I wanted to be a good Canadian and register my FP Orana in Canada however when they told me that since it was a catamaran I needed a tonnage survey. This would require hauling the boat out and hiring one of two recognized tonnage surveyors. The cost of this exercise would be considerable with the end result being a number that has no relevance for a pleasure boat.
Not necessarily correct depending on the vessel. An appointed tonnage surveyor can do a "sister ship" measurement" without even seeing the boat. If he has done the same model before or it is a production vessel and the required dimensions are available online or from the builder ..... there are ways. If it is a custom boat it can also be done from original drawings if available. I could provide more info if I knew what model the OP has. eg. I have all the Lagoon data Contact info for appointed measurers is on the TC website, you can call around and find one that has the data required for the specific model.
Old 11-04-2016, 16:31   #20

Boat: PDQ32

I tried the sister ship approach for tonnage but unfortunately there were no other Oranas rsgistered at the time so that approach did not work.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-04-2016, 17:09   #21

What you realy want to think about is SALES TAX.
Once you bring your boat down here to the BVI you can use a yearly importation situation. That will last for several years.
However once you bring your boat up to the U.S. they will want to know where you paid the tax. This has nothing to do with registration.
U. S. vessels are either state registered and/or documented. In Florida you will need to register your vessel. They will want to see where and when you paid the sales tax.
The best for you at this point is to speak to your sales agent (whether BVI or Canadian) to get some real help......you are talking about many thousands of dollars in tax.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 17:57   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinvictus2 View Post
What you realy want to think about is SALES TAX.
Once you bring your boat down here to the BVI you can use a yearly importation situation. That will last for several years.
However once you bring your boat up to the U.S. they will want to know where you paid the tax. This has nothing to do with registration.
U. S. vessels are either state registered and/or documented. In Florida you will need to register your vessel. They will want to see where and when you paid the sales tax.
The best for you at this point is to speak to your sales agent (whether BVI or Canadian) to get some real help......you are talking about many thousands of dollars in tax.
Had my Canadian Registered vessel in Florida several times, no one asked to see proof of tax payment.
Old 11-04-2016, 20:21   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post
I am a Canadian in the process of placing a 45' Catamaran into Charter down in the BVI's.
I understand there is no taxes if I register the boat Canadian unless I bring it back to Canadian waters (unlikely), however is there any advantages to a BVI registration?
I plan to bring it to Florida in 7 years for us to winter on full time. Should I consider a Delaware registration?
Dear Mr.Ford,

BOTH are the same, BVI and/or Delaware. You need to incorporate an International Business Company (IBC) before register a boat. That will costs some dollars lol......Please take note as following:

"For the BVI yacht registration we'd suggest first to incorporate a BVI IBC with nominee directors for this purpose, then to register the yacht in the IBC name, however if you wish to own the yacht in the name of the BVI IBC, you must be advised that he will not be able to charter the vessel to persons resident in the BVI.
Following is information on the subject of yacht registration in the BVI:
NOTE: During the registration process, we suggest that a representative of our office in the British Virgin Islands be appointed a director or power of attorney holder of the British Virgin Islands company so that the beneficial owner has the legal capacity to inspect and take possession of the vessel on behalf of the company, in the country where it is lying, while our office has the legal capacity to prepare and file all documentation with the Registrar of Shipping in the British Virgin Islands. Once the registration of the vessel is completed, the representative from our offices will resign as a director or power holder. Neither the vessel nor the beneficial owner need ever visit the British Virgin Islands".

The same you need to do for Delaware registration. "Delaware Yacht Registration - To register your boat in Delaware, you must incorporate a Delaware LLC first.

Mr. Ford, you still need to forms IBC, pay them incorporated fees, directors' fees annually and income tax too.

As you are a Canadian, just register as a Canadian, pay Canadian import tax, GST or VAT if any. And placing your 45' Catamaran into Charter down in the BVI's. Pays income taxes, if any. You'll sleep very well every nights and Canadian Government will gain some dollars from you and they will or might buy more guns and riffles to fight the terrorists.

OR

may I suggest you to have your beautiful yacht register in LANGKAWI, the tax heaven of the East. Attached below are the advantages and benefits to register with Langkawi International Yacht Registry (LIYR) and you DO NOT have to pay any taxes at all:

The Benefits of Registering a Yacht under Langkawi International Yacht Registry (LIYR):
The purpose of registering a yacht is to protect the interests of the registering party (Owners). Explained below herewith are the following safeguards and benefits available through registration:
1) The Ownership of the yacht is recorded in the Registry. Such registration gives a good title to the yacht.
2) Malaysian Nationality (LIYR) for the yacht which accords legal protection on the high seas and in foreign ports.
3) The registered yacht could be used as a security for a mortgage to allow of the yacht to borrow money from a financial institution.
4) The registered yacht could be insure and covered by an insurance company.
5) Malaysian (LIYR) registered yacht can sail overseas or make port calls. Certificate is recognized worldwide.
6) The registration of the yacht would add to the value of the yacht as the history of the yacht is well recorded.
7) The registered yacht could have a name, call-sign and/or ID and therefore enable to apply for a Maritime Radio Station license.
8) The registered yacht could also have an EPIRB fitted on-board for easy identification in the case of an emergency at sea.
9) Enabling rapid tracing of a yacht in the event of theft, mishap or more serious maritime emergencies as the Rescue Authorities would not be helpless in case of an emergency.
10) The registered yacht may fly Langkawi Red Ensign for identification of her nationality. Yachts which fly the Langkawi Red Ensign are entitled to the support of Malaysian Consular and High Commission and Malaysian Royal Naval protection.
11) DUTY FREE – No Custom Tax, No GST, No VAT etc. Very low initial registration and annually fee.
12) No manning requirement, at present.
13) The yacht do not need to be in Langkawi for the registration.
14) Electronic documentation, fast and reliable Government’s Registry.
15) The Owners of the yacht may NOT be a Malaysian and/or Malaysian company.
16) Langkawi is the yachting HEAVEN of the East, equipped with state of the art facilities, berths, accommodation and services for you and your yacht.
17) Political stability in Malaysia.

Good luck.......

Elise.Call
Send SMS
Call from mobile
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 15:41   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 439

TC indicated to me that I should send form 2 "Builder's Certificate for First Title" (84-0040E) and Form 4B "Tonnage Measurement of a simple Multihull Vessel (85-0470E) to Lagoon and have them complete the required information.

However, Boatpoker is correct in that the form indicates a simple multihull means a flat platform.

Hmm, looks like another call is needed!
ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 16:09   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford View Post
TC indicated to me that I should send form 2 "Builder's Certificate for First Title" (84-0040E) and Form 4B "Tonnage Measurement of a simple Multihull Vessel (85-0470E) to Lagoon and have them complete the required information.

However, Boatpoker is correct in that the form indicates a simple multihull means a flat platform.

Hmm, looks like another call is needed!
If you do a "simplified measurement" it will be rejected. Send me a PM with your email address. I'll do the tonnage measurement, certificate of tonnage survey and declaration of coefficient. I'll need a few details from you but I have all the specs for a Lagoon 450 and can do a sistership measurement. You owe me a beer next time you're in Port Credit.

PS. I am a Transport Canada Appointed Tonnage Measurer.
Old 14-04-2016, 13:17   #26
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

very nice, Boatpoker!

has anybody in this thread registered in Malaysia? of course, none of that matters if you stay in Florida or Connecticut or California, or etc long enough to trigger their Sales/ Use tax regulation...
Old 14-04-2016, 22:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

Hi! Symphony,

Please send me your email address and I'll email you some photos taken recently in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and San Francisco, California. Picture will tells the story! and you have not travel far and long enough.

I have my 46 M Baglietto motor yacht registered in Malaysia and moored permanently in St.Croix, US Virgin Islands without any problem and hustle. Cheap registration, fast and easy. What's else you want ma?......

Best regards.

Elise.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2016, 10:07   #28
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Thank you, Helise.
A 46 Meter Baglietto is quite a boat!
Old 15-04-2016, 13:34   #29
Marine Service Provider