Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 17:42   #16
DtM

Re: Proof of Sailing Competence in the Med

Hey Barra,

have you picked up your new (to you) boat yet?

It is a great feeling and I hope you enjoy her and the time in the Med.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 15:18   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls View Post
Barra,

We went through exactly the same situation a couple of years ago. You have to be an EU citizen to get an ICC, so as that was a no-go, we decided that we would like to have a certificate in the document folder that showed some sort of qualification beyond the Australian boat license, and we ended up going for a bareboat skipper and VHF radio course (Which was a lot of fun), and got some nice pretty certificates for the file.
Over that 6 month season in France, Italy, Greece, and Turkey, our documents were checked by various officials four times. Now I couldn’t understand exactly what was being said, but from what I could figure out, they didn’t care one bit about our sailing qualifications, they just wanted to know if we were EU citizens with a foreign flagged boat trying to avoid VAT! As we didn’t fall into that category we had no trouble at all.
(We didn’t sail into Spain so can’t help you there, and FYI we were told that the Croatian Authorities require a VHF radio operators certificate.)

Burls
Croatia safety inspection were not in the least bit interested in our radio certificates they wrote my QLD Drivers licence number down as although it is a motor vehicle license it also documents my boat license even though you need to access the Transport Departments computers, Quite honestly i think with most of these countries you could create your own certificate as long as it's flowery and official looking....
Old 13-07-2012, 17:10   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
It is now possible for non EU including US and Ozzies nationals to get an ICC. Croatia is the only med country that demands you have some sort of cert. they have a long list of what's acceptable.

Dave
Old 13-07-2012, 17:28   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Not one official or person asked about our sailing credentials in 12 months we were in Europe including Spain, France, Portugal, and the Canaries. For the record we didn't have any on paper. Nor had we taken any classes.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 23:14   #20

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It is now possible for non EU including US and Ozzies nationals to get an ICC. Croatia is the only med country that demands you have some sort of cert. they have a long list of what's acceptable.

Dave
Dealt with officials at Kremik Sibenik and Primosten all they were really interested in was Insurance, ships documents and any form of drivers licence, where i come from our motor vehicle drivers licence number covers our boat licence if you have one, it is not possible for anyone to tell by looking at the licence.
More interested in Vignette than every thing else...
Old 22-07-2012, 02:20   #21

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres
When checking out of Italy in Otranto 2 weeks ago, I was asked to show my licence to drive the boat. This is the first time I have been asked. In Cavtat the next day, the Croatian Harbourmaster was only interested in registration, crew list and insurance.
Cheers
Gary
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 09:24   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

After 18 years sailing in the Balearics we've never been asked to show any sort of 'licence' to operate the vessel with the one exception that getting a permit to a Spanish National Marine reserve required a reference to the skipper's qualifications. We've been boarded by the Aduanas three times & they've never asked for skipper's papers. What they are concerned about it how long we, as non-EU visitors, had been in the country. Six months is the maxium. They weren't even interested in how long our non-EU boat had been in the country--and that surprised us!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 19:12   #23

Barra

I note that the Phisa 42 is still for sale. Did you not purchase it? If so why not.
Tirade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 14:33   #24

Boat: between boats

Hi Tirade

yes I purchased the Phisa 42 and we sailed her around the western med over the summer. Change of plans with work means i wont have the time to sail her back to Oz as originally planned (should be mid atlantic right now but instead im at a desk).

So long story short we have relisted her to sell as plan A (since shes VAT paid and worth more in europe) or to put her on a boat back to oz as plan B. If your interested drop me a PM as theres a huge advantage in avoiding the brokerage via direct sale obviously.

No complaints with the boat just her location.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 14:48   #25

Barra

My email address is tirade@goldklip.com I would be interested in looking in more depth, to consider possibility of purchasing the boat.
Tirade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:03   #26

Boat: between boats

sent you a PM Tirade - let me know if you get it ok
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing