Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 11:47   #1

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Private Sale in Mexico - Reimporting Question

I know that it is technically illegal to sell a foreign owned boat inside Mexico. People obviously get around this by making sure the money never changes hands within Mexico and the use of the illusive 'offshore delivery'.

My question is to anyone who has a actually bought a boat in Mexico and re-registered/imported it, what the easiest and most legal way to go about changing over the Mexican paperwork.

I have heard that one must clear out with the boat papers still in the original owners name with me as the captain/agent, sail 12 miles offshore into international waters, take a photo of the gps and a current newspaper (for the date) and then sail back and re-check in with the boat now in my own name... and apply for a new temporary import permit.

This seems a bit weird to me, since some Mexican officials see their job as an entrepreneurial exercise - that they would just pretend that they didn't see me clear out under a different set of paperwork just 2 hours before... without some creating some hassles.

Also I would only be hanging around for 6 months before heading back to Australia when the season was right, thus I will not really need another 10 year TIP...

Any thoughts or suggestions? I checked Lat 38's extensive Mexico info and didn't read anything on re-importing after sale... but would be happy to be pointed in the direction of some other site.

Cheers!
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:13   #2

Re: Private Sale in Mexico - Reimporting Question

(bump)
- sorry just trying to get the question onto the front page at a more popular time period for responses than when I originally posted
Old 07-10-2011, 17:36   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Couple of questions... if the boat is foreign owned, what is her country of registry or documentation? Is she US documented? I've executed a couple of sales of foreign vessels lying in Mexican waters where both the buyer and the seller were absent and of differing citizenships. Need more info to advise you but better to do it privately so PM me... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 17:39   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are bringing to usa and wanting usa documentation, a document service could tell you . in san diego i use dona jenkins. try her.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 18:32   #5

Perhaps I didn't ask my question very well because it doesn't matter what countries the boat rego paperwork is in

I'm asking about the process within the Mexican Government for a foreign owned and registered vessel with a current Mexican TIP (temporary import permit) being bought (in Mexico) by another foreigner who registers it as a foreign vessel and will now need an NEW Mexican TIP.
Old 07-10-2011, 18:51   #6

I sold a boat while in the Carribean. All the paperwork and transfer of ownership was done by a service in the states. When the new owner was leaving where the boat was located, I went and checked the boat out. At the next place , he checked the boat in with his new papers. I'm not saying this is foolproof, but it worked this time. Depends on the next Customs agent I guess. If he focus' on looking for previous check out, you'd have to say you sailed direct from San Diego I guess!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 19:03   #7

True. I would like to come back to the very same place though!
Old 07-10-2011, 19:16   #8

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
Perhaps I didn't ask my question very well because it doesn't matter what countries the boat rego paperwork is in

I'm asking about the process within the Mexican Government for a foreign owned and registered vessel with a current Mexican TIP (temporary import permit) being bought (in Mexico) by another foreigner who registers it as a foreign vessel and will now need an NEW Mexican TIP.
The simple answer is - you can't. There is no LEGAL way to change ownership on a boat with a TIP - think about it, the TIP allows someone to import their boat without duty to use for themselves, then export it out of Mexico - hence no duty due. If you want to be up-front and legal, the original owner will have to officially import the boat in to Mexico and then you can buy it from him. There will be some (actually a lot of) import tax due. Of course, going to the original country of registration after that may be interesting...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 19:50   #9

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
The simple answer is - you can't. There is no LEGAL way to change ownership on a boat with a TIP - think about it, the TIP allows someone to import their boat without duty to use for themselves, then export it out of Mexico - hence no duty due. If you want to be up-front and legal, the original owner will have to officially import the boat in to Mexico and then you can buy it from him. There will be some (actually a lot of) import tax due. Of course, going to the original country of registration after that may be interesting...

Michael
There's even more to it than this. If the original TIP is not properly cancelled there will be hell to pay later. When they issue the TIP they ask for a credit card in lue of a cash deposit based on the value of what's being brought in. Also if the person who sells it leaves the country, he/she will not be permitted to re-enter with a vehicle or boat until the old permit is closed and you have to have it with you with the permit attached for them to verify that it's the same one you brought in, in order to close it out. If beyond the term of the permit, they will be turned away at the border and given the business card of an attorney in Mexico to arrange to see about getting it straightened out. It's a PITA doing it right, but if you do otherwise it can lead to large problems. In the last few years things have changed down there with the use of computers at ports of entry.
Old 07-10-2011, 23:15   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
There's even more to it than this. If the original TIP is not properly cancelled there will be hell to pay later. When they issue the TIP they ask for a credit card in lue of a cash deposit based on the value of what's being brought in. Also if the person who sells it leaves the country, he/she will not be permitted to re-enter with a vehicle or boat until the old permit is closed and you have to have it with you with the permit attached for them to verify that it's the same one you brought in, in order to close it out. If beyond the term of the permit, they will be turned away at the border and given the business card of an attorney in Mexico to arrange to see about getting it straightened out. It's a PITA doing it right, but if you do otherwise it can lead to large problems. In the last few years things have changed down there with the use of computers at ports of entry.
I know this to be true about cars,motorcycles and light aircraft you have got to post a a fee and leave by certain date or lose fee and like the others said cant return untill lawer has been contacted..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:31   #11

Have the boat US documented. Rename the boat when you do so. Change the name on the boat when you get to Mexico. Sail to a port and "arrive in mexico" in the usual manner.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, sale, mexico