Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 13:14   #1

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Ports of entry and insurance for Ireland and the UK

Working through the voyage planning process for some places I have never been. Any recommendations for ports of entry in Ireland approaching from either the north or west? I prefer smaller ports with a decent anchorage, marinas are not in the budget. Preferably with an approach from the ocean that's short and simple. I have purchased a copy of Reed's, there's a lot of information there, but looking for a little " local knowledge".
Noonsite keeps going on about needing insurance papers to clear in but I haven't seen anything thing about that on the official government websites. Is there some legal requirements for that or is it just something required for marinas, which I don't use? I have checked with a number of insurance companies in the UK, they all virtually refuse to sell to USA flagged boats, so it looks like that won't be happening.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 14:25   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Ports of entry and insurance for Ireland and the UK

Just about anywhere. Then call customs or go to the local Guarda Post. Northern Ireland would be the same I think. The bonus is that if your in and out of the UK you stop the clock for the EU and Britain.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 14:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

You will find this website useful for locating anchorages.
https://eoceanic.com/sailing/harbours/europe/ireland
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 15:09   #4

Boat: Knysna 440

We are a US flagged vessel. Our insurance company is in the UK. We decided to insure with them for a variety of reasons. If you are curious feel free to PM me and I would be happy to explain. We were previously insured with Lloyd's of London.

Our current insurer is Topsail Insurance. We work with Laura Clothier and she can be contacted via email at: laurac@topsailinsurance.com Please let her know that SV Caterpillar referred you.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 04:17   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
Just about anywhere. Then call customs or go to the local Guarda Post. Northern Ireland would be the same I think. The bonus is that if your in and out of the UK you stop the clock for the EU and Britain.
That's what I am trying to find information about. So I can clear in anywhere without having to go to a major port, such as those listed as ports of entry on Noonsite?
Old 23-05-2018, 04:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post
We are a US flagged vessel. Our insurance company is in the UK. We decided to insure with them for a variety of reasons. If you are curious feel free to PM me and I would be happy to explain. We were previously insured with Lloyd's of London.

Our current insurer is Topsail Insurance. We work with Laura Clothier and she can be contacted via email at: laurac@topsailinsurance.com Please let her know that SV Caterpillar referred you.
Topsail said no a few years ago, I had sent a quick email inquiry rather than taking the time to fill out their forms for a quote. I will try your contact and see what they have to say. Only need third party coverage for a few months to keep officials happy in ports from Ireland to the Canaries.
Old 23-05-2018, 04:49   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Insurance on a Colvin?

Seems unlikely it'd be issued and I would think fully against the libertarian spirit of most Colvin owners and no doubt Tom himself.
Old 23-05-2018, 05:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Insurance on a Colvin?

Seems unlikely it'd be issued and I would think fully against the libertarian spirit of most Colvin owners and no doubt Tom himself.
Not something I would normally do unless I have to rent a parking place in the states, they all want it. I have looked at it before sending countless emails to everyone recommended to me by other cruisers who get it for a few hundred a year, but have been uniformly rejected by all. I prefer to do the right thing, but I am not above manufacturing my own documents if need be. Last time I had the real thing in the states it was expensive at $500 a year!
Old 23-05-2018, 11:09   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

My Ireland and UK experience is dated - 2002 and 2003 but I will share it anyway.

We arrive in Ireland at Baltimore, a very small town. We had to take a bus to a different town to check in with the Guarda (police). The process was that we were recorded on the police blotter. I noted the date, place and the page number in the blotter in my log book. We were never asked to prove that we had checked in. Ireland was a great visit.

On to Northern Ireland. Upon arrival we phoned customs. They checked us in on the phone. They said we were officially in the UK and no further action was needed. Again we noted the particulars in our log. We then proceeded to Scotland, Through the Caledonian Canal and down the east coast of England, making many stops. Again, our status was never questioned, until going up the Thames to London.

While on our way towards London a marine patrol boat came up to us and a officer stepped aboard without so much as a "we are boarding you". Obviously they can do that in England. They wanted our information. I got out the logbook and showed him the date, time and the officer's name that I spoke to on the phone. I even noted in the log that the officer said no further action was necessary. The boarding officer said that that was incorrect but he accepted it because he was sure that was what I was told. He left me a form to fill out and send to them.

We arrived in Ireland in June and in London in late September or early October. In that time we went to many anchorages and a few marinas. We were never asked about insurance until our arrival at St. Catherine's Dock, where we were for the winter.

We were often greeted and welcomed by the people we met along the way. These are great places to visit. I remember visiting the pub at the marina in Grimsby and we couldn't pay for our own drinks.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 11:33   #10

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Hi as a UK citizen you do not need any insurance or certificates to show that you can sail, some big marinas will ask for insurance but, along the west coast of Scotland there are many mini marinas who wont care, , in regards to boarding in a previous reply , customs , police , fisheries protection can at any time board a vessel within the UK 12 mile zone but very rare indeed , although during the Irish troubles I was approached by a RN frigate who checked me over as I sailed the Irish sea, In regards to Ireland I don't know but if you hit port in Northern Ireland you will have checked into the UK , but if you check in the republic of Ireland you will then need to check into the UK , and it gets even easier when we leave the EU
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 12:04   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Crosshaven in Cork, Nice friendly town and marinas..
Dun Laoghaire outskirts of Dublin, not so nice but ok..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 06:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
Topsail said no a few years ago, I had sent a quick email inquiry rather than taking the time to fill out their forms for a quote. I will try your contact and see what they have to say. Only need third party coverage for a few months to keep officials happy in ports from Ireland to the Canaries.
Reply from Laura: we don't have stand alone third party; however if you fill out this application we can offer full coverage.
The usual response[emoji20] but full cover is neither needed nor in the budget.
Old 25-05-2018, 06:18   #13

Doing research on this area and it's beginning to look like I should plan on spending a little more time looking around , particularly Ireland rather than just a quick stop on the way south. I have a preference for remote uninhabited places and small towns unless I need a place to leave the boat for a job.

Tags
insurance, Ireland, ports