Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-01-2011, 16:43   #106

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Just heard a story about a guy who waited until hhis bucket got full and when he tried to dump it in a local dumpster...just as he was lifting the bucket of fermented **** over his head, the bucket went the opposite way it was intended.
Serves him right. Maybe it didn't tip the way HE intended, but....

I $ee a reenactment of that on video being priceless.
Old 20-01-2011, 17:35   #107
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Yes diet has quite an effect (you produce less waste when you are away from the junk food on shore) as does weather....being at sea in a nasty storm will cinch things up nice and tight...I never do remember having to use the head in realluy nasty weather (except to pee)There is still a very big gap between what is possible in one way or another and what is acceptable by the USCG or some other such entity, as well as what is feasible on a boat (I am speaking of ful time live aboard for two on a 30ish' boat and budget so we don't start talking about expensive and big alternatives)....the whole point of the thread is for the sake of simplicity.
Old 20-01-2011, 17:35   #108

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
I think my husband would have loved to have a video camera handy last week. We were sailing in a friendly social race recently, I thought for the sake of expediency , a quick bucket and chuck it would do. I was in the pilot house about to get through the companionway to toss the pee over the side, and made the mistake of looking into said bucket and thinking, hmmmm I should drink more water , a slight wind shift, the boat lurched... and there I was with it all over my face, mouth open,,,, of course ... As I was spitting furiously , Pete was laughing his head off saying that I shouldn't worry because of the homeopathic benefits, and that he was sure it would be great for my complexion. * laughing*
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 21:25   #109

sorry I made a mistake, I qas 360lb not 260lb.
cheers
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 02:48   #110

OH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergypsy View Post
I think my husband would have loved to have a video camera handy last week. We were sailing in a friendly social race recently, I thought for the sake of expediency , a quick bucket and chuck it would do. I was in the pilot house about to get through the companionway to toss the pee over the side, and made the mistake of looking into said bucket and thinking, hmmmm I should drink more water , a slight wind shift, the boat lurched... and there I was with it all over my face, mouth open,,,, of course ... As I was spitting furiously , Pete was laughing his head off saying that I shouldn't worry because of the homeopathic benefits, and that he was sure it would be great for my complexion. * laughing*

Leave it to a guy to come up with a comment like that.
Did you kill him or just throw him over board?

joking of course lol

Barb
Old 21-01-2011, 02:50   #111

[QUOTE=Minggat;601236]
Quote:
A composter big enough for 2 full time live aboards would take up more than it's share of space on a boat....QUOTE]

Where does that come from? Me thinks you're too busy speculating and not enough time listening to those actually that have composting toliets.
Have to agree. all that i needed is emptying it as needed.
Old 21-01-2011, 14:06   #112
Eternal Member

So I can rationalize some of my arguments against composting toilets on boats I looked up the specs[[http://http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/855115/CategoryID/5000/SubCatID/16885 /file.htm ]]...right off the bat they are about $1500, weight 50lbs, take up a tremendous amount of space and aside from the fact they are too big to fit through any hatches on my boat if I did install one (with out having the front go past the center line) I would loose all my bunk space in the forward cabin worst of all I would have about 24" clearance from the seat to the cabin top. All the moving parts, chemicals, etc go against my KISS principle I like to keep to.

Product Weight/Shipping Weight 50/95
Shipping Carton Dimensions (W by L by H) 28'' by 35 1/2'' by 36''
Depth Required to Remove Drawer 46''
Vent outlet center distance from left side 11 1/4''
Height to center of vent N/A
Unit Height/Width/Depth 31 1/2'' by 22 1/2'' by 32 1/2''
Old 21-01-2011, 14:53   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
So I can rationalize some of my arguments against composting toilets on boats I looked up the specs[[http://http://www.kalyx.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/855115/CategoryID/5000/SubCatID/16885 /file.htm ]]...right off the bat they are about $1500, weight 50lbs, take up a tremendous amount of space and aside from the fact they are too big to fit through any hatches on my boat if I did install one (with out having the front go past the center line) I would loose all my bunk space in the forward cabin worst of all I would have about 24" clearance from the seat to the cabin top. All the moving parts, chemicals, etc go against my KISS principle I like to keep to.

Product Weight/Shipping Weight 50/95
Depth Required to Remove Drawer 46''
Vent outlet center distance from left side 11 1/4''
Height to center of vent N/A
Unit Height/Width/Depth 31 1/2'' by 22 1/2'' by 32 1/2''

What you find depends on where you look ... Nature's Head Composting Toilets - The Ideal Waterless Toilet for Your Boat, RV, Cabin, Big Rig or Yurt!

Mine was less then $800. I don't know what it weighs but a lot less then the empty holding tank, pipes and head combo that came out. It sits on the same spot my head (ok now that sounds funny) did but now I have space under the settees for other crap then excrement.

If your comparing it to a portapotty I guess it's about the same size and weight but requires emptying less often and is easier to empty.

Each to their own.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:29   #114

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:

OK, You win. We will call off the CTP (Composting Toilet Police) and let them know that you are exempt.

Do you always consider the shipping carton size vs access when you buy the smaller things that are inside of the cartons?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Old 21-01-2011, 17:12   #115

Boat: Boro Temptress 10.4 metres .
;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
Leave it to a guy to come up with a comment like that.
Did you kill him or just throw him over board?

joking of course lol

Barb
Nah, it was quite funny and I tend to save my ' " careful or you will be sharkbait" line for larger transgressions. I did try to swear him to secrecy and then thought, hmm better if I just get in first.
watergypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 18:18   #116

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Wonder if they would go ballistic if a hose leading into the Cockpit drain with a funnel on the other end??
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 16:47   #117
cruiser

Mine cost under $25 to build.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:02   #118
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
OK, You win. We will call off the CTP (Composting Toilet Police) and let them know that you are exempt.

Do you always consider the shipping carton size vs access when you buy the smaller things that are inside of the cartons?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Yes I did consider the actual measurements, my boat was designed 75 years ago and the forward cabin was designed around a standard size marine toilet (which takes up less than an 18" cube).
As much as I hate portitpotties with the excessive regulation of marine toilets in some countries , specifically the Republic of California, have led me to look into upgrading my cheapie, knock off type that is designed more to satisfiy USCG regs than act as a full time toilet. There are more elaborate versions that have permanent installation, allow for pump out and have removable holding tank to carry to portipottie dump station.
Old 24-01-2011, 13:42   #119
Eternal Member

Actually not being permanently installed the USCG regs for a MSD do not apply.Advertisements for portipotties read "For the day tripper or the week long cruiser". There must be more elaborate /durable versions that would work for long term cruising and/or live aboard
On reading around the differance between a porta pottie designed for camping/rv, etc and one that is designed for a boat (a MSD) is significant but subtle. The main differance being a nozzle for deck pump out as well as hold downs...the companies that make these just out of coincidence produce better quality equipment, the best example is Thetford, price is not that bad if you look around either.
Old 25-01-2011, 19:35   #120
cruiser

The one I sell tops for are the size of a five gallon plastic pail.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote