Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 15:45   #76

Boat: Gulfstar, trawler, 43, Cielo e Mar
Makes sense, and that is some (Orange) air freshener.

Old 26-12-2010, 15:51   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
very social as well,about 2 ft from the helmsman..............the girls loved it!!!!!not.

Old 26-12-2010, 18:03   #78
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
If you have a problem and don't want to dump oveboard

Use wagbags....a bag that has a littylitter and perfume.

we got these from West Marine

we used them in "the County" in Maine

BTW you may need more TP than is in each kit.
how do you *legally* dispose of them (human waste is considered bio-hazard and cannot be just dropped in a dumpster). I believe wagbags are intended for animal waste.
Old 28-12-2010, 07:33   #79

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
how do you *legally* dispose of them (human waste is considered bio-hazard and cannot be just dropped in a dumpster)......
Tell that to the multi million dollar disposable diaper industry!

Some good organic material included in our landfills is a service.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:58   #80
Eternal Member

Next time you are in the marina office ask them if it is ok to dump your "bucket" or portapottie in the dumpster....see what they say
Old 28-12-2010, 17:09   #81

Don't ask. What would you expect for an answer? The millions who use disposable diapers don't ask. Heck, the boaters who put "paper" in the trash and not in the head don't ask. Just do what's right until someone says you can't. Then think of some way to keep doing what's right. You have to live with yourself. You can leave the others behind. Or try to at least. Make a difference and change this world for the better how you can and where you can. @#$% in the trash! it will green up our landfills.

Some ruels are nuts. Here in my state, they recently enacted a law requiring divissions of proprety to have septic permits before you build a house. It was obviously a ploy of a special interest group or two. Now you have to spend more than the septic system cost to get a licensed engineer in to hold your hand through a permitting process. He charges and needs a licensed surveyor to charge you to make a site plan from which he works. Then the thing can be designed with state workers needing to come approve the design and the soils. Of course, once this is done whether you build the thing or not, your taxes go up because it is now an improveble lot. The state allows composting toilets but you still need a septic to put water into your house. They say that grey water needs a septic. Oh. and a holding tank with someone coming to pump out and take it to an approved facility doesn't qualify! Now, in effect, it is illegal to be out in the rain and have untreated water run off your clothes and body! Nuts. But it ensures the government jobs program more work and the engineers and surveyors too. But check this out, you can install the thing yourself if you want. No check on what actually goes in! Furthermore, you can legally bring water into a barn and forego the whole process. Fine to dump your excrement in the yard to "compost" it or wash yourself in the barn, heck, so long as you don't make a physical connection to the pipe going into your house (freefall through the air to a tank) or call your house a barn, you can carry your "compost" to an above ground compost pile via a flush toilet! Just don't put it in a septic system without paying those who lobbied for their job creation and it's tenure or you'll be fined! Nonsensical.
Old 28-12-2010, 17:26   #82

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Sure, it's nonsensical, until your neighbour's raw sewage runs into your backyard while you are having a party. Or his undersized septic bed finally gives out and contaminates your well water. Your right to do what you want ends when it meets my right to not suffer from e coli.

Oh, and while the taxes went up on your "improved" lot, the value of that lot also increased, likely much more than the taxes, didn't it? I don't see the problem with requiring septic approval when severing a new lot for building.
Old 28-12-2010, 18:48   #83
Eternal Member

Back to the original thread....though the bucket is technologically alot simpler than the portapottie regulations have actually made it a bit more complicated.
A bucket is easier to dump over board than a poratpottie....but you have to be at least 12 miles off shore to do it (legally)
Old 28-12-2010, 18:49   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
Tell that to the multi million dollar disposable diaper industry! Some good organic material included in our landfills is a service.
Human waste (ie, not composted) isn't good organic material; it is a bio-hazard, as Wolfenzee says. Human waste, unlike animal waste, is especially danger to humans - it can make you very sick and can, and does, cause death. It should not be put in dumpsters, even if others are getting away with it.

That issue was raised and debated in a thread on composting toilets on this site; dumping a mix of partly composted and fresh human waste was seen as okay by some to put in the dumpster because others dump diapers. Not a good argument in my book.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:11   #85

worked 4 years for a garbage company (yah running in back of the truck 10h a day)
anyway my run was in the suburbs (bungalows only) we use to call my run the $hit run as every day ended at the sewage site...I would empty 4 6yard containers of human wast...28 years later I still remember the smell...the point I want to make is that we never got sick...and belive me no special protocol was taken and yes we got splashed most every day.

one last remark...these trash companys play the big bucks game...they get subventions and have all kinds of recycle bins and truck...but at the end of the day most everything gets buried at the dump yard...only a small % gets recycled.

not making anyones trial...really I dont care anymore...last year I got fined for peeing in the field I was working inn...dont know the english term? but you know when driving a tractor to turn the earth over...I said to the officer that next week I was going to spred entire truck loads of pig manure in those field how many fines will you give me then??
all this to say that some laws just dont make sens anymore...as for this thread I am still debating on a larger porta potty or a proper head with holding tank?? however if I go the head way I want the option of pumping out my holding tank when at sea...right now the instalations iv seen cant do this.
Old 05-01-2011, 17:17   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
we use to call my run the $hit run as every day ended at the sewage site...I would empty 4 6yard containers of human wast...28 years later I still remember the smell...the point I want to make is that we never got sick...and belive me no special protocol was taken and yes we got splashed most every day.
uhhh....

thank you for sharing.
Old 05-01-2011, 17:38   #87

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
He did have a point, though.

And... my vote is still for the bucket.

The porta potty is pure evil.

If it's okay to put disposable diapers in the trash, it is okay to put poo in the trash.
Old 05-01-2011, 19:42   #88
Eternal Member

ok or may not be ok by the letter of the law. If you think of the environmental impact of pumping out a holding tank 1/2 mile offshore in a tidal area it is ok...but that is different from what the USCG says is ok. USCG law supersedes what is actually environmentally safe. Though if you install relatively expensive and temperamental devices to treat waste Even though I use an enzyme that breaks it down completely in less than 24hours...that is not legal to pump overboard with in 3 mile of shore.. Considering the profit marinas make when ever you pump out, it is a scam of sorts.
Old 06-01-2011, 18:56   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
.. Considering the profit marinas make when ever you pump out, it is a scam of sorts.
Yeah, just dump it in the trash.
Old 06-01-2011, 19:18   #90
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
Yeah, just dump it in the trash.
I have stayed in alot of marinas that have special portapotti dump stations, but never seen one that charges for them (even though they charge for regular pump out)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: