Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 22:05   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
How do you dispose of it. Let me tell you and both are illegal you chuck it in a dumpster or throw it overboard. No way any where is this a good thing or legal. Done with rant read the rules.

Thank you for being done with your rant. Up until this post, your rant was focused on dumping overboard. Don't know where that came from, but it was certainly not my intention for drop a bag, biodegradale or not, over the side. So at least for me, all your quoting was mute. As far as dropping a biodegradable bag with kitty litter ect in a dumpster, you offer no quote to "read the rules" from.

Already have the porta potty. Removed the holding tank system 1st thing after buying thr boat. I've had it for years, as a livaboard with 2 people. Don't have the issues that other have mentioned. May or may not upgrade to a composting toilet. I'm reading things here that indicate to me that the way I've been using my porta-potty is very close to a composting toilet and I might be able to make a simple mod to the SOP and maybe the hardware and have myself a composting head.

As far a the bucket idea goes. I believe I have a bucket now. It's not cedar and it looks a lot like a porta potty. Dosen't smell and it's not a puzzle to put together and take apart. But I do agree that it ain't fun to empty, underway or in a restroom. So the idea of composted waste is still at the top of my list. How to get there looks a lot closer and cheaper.

Thanx

Old 14-11-2010, 00:21   #47

Boat: Pearson 281
Minggat... the DIY Porta-pottie to composter idea sounds like a wortwhile project. Please keep us posted.

I haven't had much luck finding feedback on the real time effectiveness of the current crop of composting toilets... I've only seen a couple of reviews and only one of those from a user who ended up getting rid of his.
Can someone point me in the right direction? THX and a THX out to SV Faith!

Old 14-11-2010, 13:10   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
When you have figured out how to convert a porta-potti to compost please starta thread for it...it intrests me
Old 14-11-2010, 18:30   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Having slept on the idea, I'm thinking .... naaah. The compositing toilet thread has some bucket w/ seat, composter ideas that are a much more reasonable place to start than me trying to poke and cut holes in my little potra potty tank so I can experiment.

Besides, my boat is on the other side of the world from me and I'm half a year minimum before I can get back to it. I have much better things to ponder for the next 6 months
Old 14-11-2010, 18:51   #50

Boat: columbia 28,Kokopelli
what Id like to know ,,who are all the little tiny butted people, i mean come'on these little things are just ridiicously small and a severe pain to sit upon .where did the desiginers think all sailors were little people, cute as they are , i gotta have a real seat..
hard to get both items (a man here) to fit inside the bowl...jezzus
Old 14-11-2010, 18:52   #51

Boat: PETERSON 44
I reacted sorry. A prior post was "My solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a 100% biodegradable (made from corn) garbage bag with pine kitty litter". Now what do we do with the litter the bag and the rest. Disposing of this can be done legally but its pretty hard to do legally. So Ill let the ones who think this is viable explain how they do this. Much easier to get a marine system and be done.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:28   #52

A 5 gal bucket can be used with your favorit toilet seat (add brackets)

I like the bio bag idea...put pleas remember that we all use garbage bags one way or the other...but at least we start showing a willingness to reduce this consumtion.

about composting...those of use living abaord can only use so much compost...what to do with the rest?

I am not keen on the litter thing...its a contaminant and I dont know its composition.

also no one has menstioned the coast of empting a parta potty...mine emptys with a vacume, I giess the marina charges something for this?

Now my idea on how id use the bucket...when at the marina id use the toilet unless its an emergency...but then id empty and rinse the bucket pronto. when at sea id discard and rinse after each use.
winter at the marina here in cold canada id put a bag over the bucket and discard the bag in the dumpster...id do this for convinience.

Conffesion of a new sailor to be...I see no valide resons not to urinate in the sink...sure it unlawfull but its in no way detrimental to the enviernement...surly many of you do it also.
Old 15-11-2010, 11:48   #53

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Direct deposit is legal anywhere but no discharge areas. Depositing in a bucket and throwing it overboard is not legal in coastal waters. Believe it's 3 miles offshore to be legal dumping your bucket. You have to mount a seat off the transom to be legal inshore or jump in.
Or you could get some really good quality bungey cord, and make up a strong sling for when you are close to shore.

I'm not 100% sure it would throw the poo 3 miles but even if it did, suggest you wear rubber gloves and an apron, and be sure to check I'm not sailing anywhere near your firing range when you give it a go.

JOHN
Old 15-11-2010, 13:15   #54
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
iv never used a porta befor and was wondering if mine is worth keeping.

I kind of like the bucket idea for its practicalities, was going to use one offshore anyway.

is it legal to have only a bucket toilet onboard?
If staying single is your goal, that should about take care of that....

If you get married, it might help you pitch for a new boat.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 13:58   #55
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Bucket... bag the paper... dump the fish food...
I don't eat fish...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 18:22   #56
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I reacted sorry. A prior post was "My solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a 100% biodegradable (made from corn) garbage bag with pine kitty litter". Now what do we do with the litter the bag and the rest. Disposing of this can be done legally but its pretty hard to do legally. So Ill let the ones who think this is viable explain how they do this. Much easier to get a marine system and be done.
It can be done legally if you take it to the porta potti dump out and dump the bag...but then you have the bag left over...is easier to just use the porta potti
Old 15-11-2010, 21:29   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
.....Confession of a new sailor to be...I see no valide resons not to urinate in the sink...sure it unlawfull but its in no way detrimental to the enviernement...surly many of you do it also.
Old proverb;

..... He who is first to admit he pee in sink, is also last to be invited to participate in cruisers pot luck!...
Old 16-11-2010, 04:12   #58

" Old proverb; ..... He who is first to admit he pee in sink, is also last to be invited to participate in cruisers pot luck!... "

YEP!!!!!!
Old 16-11-2010, 04:24   #59

I hope thisi is Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Thank you for being done with your rant. Up until this post, your rant was focused on dumping overboard. Don't know where that came from, but it was certainly not my intention for drop a bag, biodegradale or not, over the side. So at least for me, all your quoting was mute. As far as dropping a biodegradable bag with kitty litter ect in a dumpster, you offer no quote to "read the rules" from.

Already have the porta potty. Removed the holding tank system 1st thing after buying thr boat. I've had it for years, as a livaboard with 2 people. Don't have the issues that other have mentioned. May or may not upgrade to a composting toilet. I'm reading things here that indicate to me that the way I've been using my porta-potty is very close to a composting toilet and I might be able to make a simple mod to the SOP and maybe the hardware and have myself a composting head.

As far a the bucket idea goes. I believe I have a bucket now. It's not cedar and it looks a lot like a porta potty. Dosen't smell and it's not a puzzle to put together and take apart. But I do agree that it ain't fun to empty, underway or in a restroom. So the idea of composted waste is still at the top of my list. How to get there looks a lot closer and cheaper.

Thanx
I don't know if this helps or not but here is two cents from the research I have done. It seems the composting idea works best if you keep the two "materials" separate. One design I saw ( sorry I do not remember where) showed how it was designed with the liquid going into one compartment and the solid going into another. The thought ocurs that for guys this is not to hard of an accomplishment. This is probably not legal but if it is do able ( I figure no one likes the idea of another thu hull fitting but....) what if a thru hull fitting was put in the head or maybe a closet area for liquids with a hose similar to what the astronauts use in space that could be rolled up and tucked under the sink or in a closet? For gals maybe a funnel could be kept near by that fits into the hose?
Like I said the hull thru and legality are probably issues but it is a thought.
Old 16-11-2010, 04:35   #60

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
what Id like to know ,,who are all the little tiny butted people, i mean come'on these little things are just ridiicously small and a severe pain to sit upon .where did the desiginers think all sailors were little people, cute as they are , i gotta have a real seat..
hard to get both items (a man here) to fit inside the bowl...jezzus

I don't know but IMO it is the same guys that design kitchens for cheap houses and galleys for smaller boats. They should have to live on a boat with the heads they design for a year at sea, I bet that would change them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: