Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 05:07   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What?

That was for the previous post with the opinion stated as fact on a subject that has gone round and round. As I said earlier, when I get back to my boat in Mexico a composting toilet is still at the top of my list, regardless of the strong negative OPINION posted that seemed to be poking the bear with a stick.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:13   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by useDaGreyMatter View Post
The thought occurs to me, the bacteria stuff they use for septics that you flush down the house toilet once a month is fairly easy to find at least in US, could that be used as a replacement for the chemicals?

uuh

Refer to post #23

Old 12-11-2010, 05:38   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
OPINION posted that seemed to be poking the bear with a stick.
Bears are cute and cuddly and should never be prodded with a stick

By the way, I was reading a book of essays about the Pacific and one was written a hundred years ago. The cruiser shot 3 bears in one day and thought the rest of his cruise might be similarly fruitful.

We may still find things to argue about but we have come a long way!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 18:07   #34
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
A friend of mine cruises extremely bare bones...last year he had a non functional engine, cooked on a camp stove, carried his water in Gerry cans, had candles for light, caught rain water and used a bucket (except when a marina in Calif required he have a porta-potti).
Foe next year he got a new engine, a two burner propane stove, an oil lamp and kept the bucket.
Old 13-11-2010, 12:58   #35

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What?

You eat the composted bit?

You are very environmentally conscious. But its been done before in the film/book soylant green

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(set in 2022 - lol)
Surely you've seen the movie Judge Dredd with the robot running round squawking "eat recycled food! Its good for you!"?

On to practical matters. One of the live-aboards at our club uses a bucket and seat with bag, and fills it with kitty litter, Then takes the bag out to the garbage dumpster every day or two. He's been doing it for 3 winters so far, and has no problems with it. A good lid on the seat is key and using odor suppressing kitty litter.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:52   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
Surely you've seen the movie Judge Dredd with the robot running round squawking "eat recycled food! Its good for you!"?

On to practical matters. One of the live-aboards at our club uses a bucket and seat with bag, and fills it with kitty litter, Then takes the bag out to the garbage dumpster every day or two. He's been doing it for 3 winters so far, and has no problems with it. A good lid on the seat is key and using odor suppressing kitty litter.

Sabre
at the marina a bag over the bucket seem more practicle then dealing with a porta potty, we pass by the dumpster on our way to the shower or on the way to work every day.
Old 13-11-2010, 15:12   #37

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
My vote goes for the bucket all the way.

I have a porta potty, but hate using it. It's puzzle-like operation is confusing to each new user. It has a tiny tank. It has a tiny flush-tank. It releases a burp of foul stench each time it is flushed, regardless of chemicals or enzymes used. The smell is probably one of the worst smells in the world.

Emptying it is a terrible chore, and I avoid using it at all costs.

Essentially it takes up space in the cabin.

Now the bucket, that thing gets used for trash collection, and lives on deck. That is much more utilitarian on a small boat.
Old 13-11-2010, 15:44   #38

Boat: Pearson 281
Unfortunately the 2.5 gal bucket is too short for me to use with my portable seat. I never have liked porta potties.
I seldom use my toilet. My solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a 100% biodegradable (made from corn) garbage bag with pine kitty litter. When I have been pulled over for a check I show them the locked cabinet where the head through hull lives and when they ask if I have a holding tank... I show them the bucket and seat along with one of the bag/littler combinations and they are satisfied.
Old 13-11-2010, 18:30   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=Butler;559458]

My solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a 100% biodegradable (made from corn) garbage bag with pine kitty litter. .

[QUOTE]

This is the part that jumps out at me. I have my doubts that the original cedar bucket idea included a plastic bag. And my brief trial of the bucket didn't either (Say EEeeeewwwww). But there have been a lot of responses with mention of a plastic bag, which sort of defeat the "green" concept to me.

So how easy are these biodegradable bags to find? I'm not going to count on finding any here in Indonesia.
Old 13-11-2010, 19:19   #40

Boat: Pearson 281
Point taken on the availability of fully biodegradable plastic bags in far-away places Minggat...,I understand that such availability would be a problem.
My frame of reference for this response was as an as yet local sailor in Southern California offering a suggestion for anyone in a similar area or with internet access and an address. It didn't occur to me that the question of porta-potty vs bucket was anywhere on the radar of long distance international cruisers
I myself am perfectly happy to use bucket alone when I can dump straight over otherwise...
At the risk of sounding like a commercial these fully biodegradable bags, if available, offer a high-tech truly green solution to waste disposale as opposed to regular plastic bags or half-assed wannabe disposable bags that merely shred in landfills but do not fully degrade.

As soon as I can I will post the url for the producer for those who don't find them on the shelf... they are a bit pricey but very handy for any wet waste issue aboard.
Old 13-11-2010, 19:34   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44
youre kidding. Your buying a bag pooping in a bag throwing it some where and saying its a green thing. Get a porta potti or proper head. throwing waste overboard concealed in a bag is not green not good even 3 miles out. get a head. No you can not discharge throw waste or buckets of waste overboard unless you are outside the limits of marpol.
Old 13-11-2010, 19:38   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
....My solution is a 5 gallon bucket with a 100% biodegradable (made from corn) garbage bag with pine kitty litter. ....
Just to clarify the earlier comment for those who do not appear to have read it.
Old 13-11-2010, 19:50   #43

This thread is so far out. Normally Im no fan of regulations but complying is easy. Also well its a law. I learned a little reading this. Its lengthy but direct from the USCG.
You cannot dump any plastic anywhere does not matter how far offshore.

"MARPOL, Garbage, Trash. Waste and Sewage Plans

"This may be very old news by now, but judging by the shape of some of our waterways, there are lots of boaters that "just don't get it" yet. So, a refresher course is in order:

"What's a MARPOL? Sounds like a new animal at the San Diego Zoo. Nope, it's the Marine Pollution Treaty, and one section that is very important to all boaters is Annex 5, regarding trash and garbage disposal in our waterways."

To read the rest of this blog post, go to:

http://marine-safety.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html

Old 13-11-2010, 20:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Just to clarify the earlier comment for those who do not appear to have read it.
How do you dispose of it. Let me tell you and both are illegal you chuck it in a dumpster or throw it overboard. No way any where is this a good thing or legal. Done with rant read the rules.
Old 13-11-2010, 20:24   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
How do you dispose of it. Let me tell you and both are illegal you chuck it in a dumpster or throw it overboard. No way any where is this a good thing or legal. Done with rant read the rules.
It is not my system. It was mentioned by another poster. Your reply made it sound as though he was advocating use of regular plastic bags.

I am (becoming) a compost guy. Even according to "your" post, (I say "your" because you clearly cut and pasted it from here, without attribution (unless you write for the Marine Safety blog).

Cutting and pasting others work without giving credit is probably worse then the infractions listed on this thread that seem to bother you so..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: