Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 05:22   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I always cringe when I read these posts. A full size normal toilet for a boat is USD$225 at Westmarine JABSCO Head at West Marine
Finding and fitting the holding tank would be a bit of a pain but not that difficult.

The increase in the value of the boat would far outweigh the cost.

The other solution of a new portapotty (etc) used in the manner that Minggat sounds excellent. If the old one has the slightest aroma buy a new one. They are only $150. In boat bucks thats cheap!

Just because you have one doesn't mean you must use it, you can 'go check the anchor' often. It can stay pristine and be on standby for guests. Not just girly-whirlies but any other form of human life that may occur on your boat occasionally.

At $150 or $225 for a toilet using a bucket its not a money thing, its something else (or maybe the lack of something else)... some kind of statement.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56   #17

the toilet on my boat looks fine but its bolted and can only be emptyed by vacume, the bucket while underway can be use in cabin or cockpit then easaly rinsed overboard and stached away. To me this seem like practical...one thing I dont like about the porta potty is the chimacal additive we put inn to brake down wast..dont know what it is but I refuse to dump anything unatural in any waters.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14   #18

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
We used a 5-gallon bucket with a seat attached for several years. If you're going that route, I recommend adding a good amount of cedar kitty litter in the bottom, and keep a bag nearby for scooping a cup in over recent additions. . . . Also, pee overboard or while swimming whenever possible to keep the liquid volume low. That helps keep the odor down.

Long story short -- we upgraded last year to a Raritan PHII, with a home-made epoxy+glass lined 35 gallon holding tank. Luxury! Those 5-gallon pails, even with cedar, get to be a bit ripe after a few days. . . .
Old 11-11-2010, 09:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Almost all marinas in SoCal require a MSD.
There are "portable" MSDs for ~$170.
Not a bad price to pay to avoid the "humiliation factor"
Old 11-11-2010, 10:20   #20
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
not sure but I reckon pretty soon they will require anyone boarding a recreational boat to insert a locking plug into their rear end to prevent any unwanted or unintentional discharge of solid waste material into protected waters ..
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03   #21

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Here's a resource I found while looking into this type of waste disposal a few years ago. maybe someone could use it as well. There's a free book that is actually pretty decent. Humanure Handbook.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
.....one thing I dont like about the porta potty is the chimacal additive we put inn to brake down wast..dont know what it is but I refuse to dump anything unatural in any waters.
In the years I've been using a porta-potty, I've only used "chemicals" a few times because they were handy and a little better smelling. As has been mentioned, keeping the waste on the dry side helps hold down odor AND composting. Without adding it, the stuff can still break down.

I think you might be mistaken by thinking the additives are harmful and un-natural. They are enzymes if I'm not mistaken. Life does not do too well without enzymes.

It just takes a little common sense to make it work. Sometimes a little thinking outside of the box helps too.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
In the years I've been using a porta-potty, I've only used "chemicals" a few times because they were handy and a little better smelling. As has been mentioned, keeping the waste on the dry side helps hold down odor AND composting. Without adding it, the stuff can still break down.

I think you might be mistaken by thinking the additives are harmful and un-natural. They are enzymes if I'm not mistaken. Life does not do too well without enzymes.

It just takes a little common sense to make it work. Sometimes a little thinking outside of the box helps too.
I guess your right? The term chimical toilet send the wrong impresion to the uneducated...plus thers a vent tube to the outside on my toilet.
Old 11-11-2010, 15:25   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
My boat originally had a "proper head" (ceramic bowl w/bronze pump and holding tank), the last owner replaced it with a porta-potti, removed the holding tank and sealed up the thru hull...I was not happy with his decision but have been living on board for 3 1/2 years now. I discovered a very nice enzyme made by Rutland that breaks down everything very quickly and give no odor (a friend of mine and his wife used it for 5 years on their boat). I have never used my porta-potti...I always managed to use the shore-head.
I just don't like porta-pottis but they ar4e better than a bucket.
Old 11-11-2010, 20:46   #25

If I was the original poster I would build a composting toilet based on 5 gallon buckets either his own design or someone elses or even a commercial kit. The important thing is to keep the urine seperate from the solid waste container (detergent bottle for liquid) and exhaust on the solid waste container. (nicro vent or computer fan 12 volt)
Old 11-11-2010, 21:33   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
If I was the original poster I would build a composting toilet based on 5 gallon buckets either his own design or someone elses or even a commercial kit. The important thing is to keep the urine seperate from the solid waste container (detergent bottle for liquid) and exhaust on the solid waste container. (nicro vent or computer fan 12 volt)
The original poster was wondering about the legalities of a bucket as an alternative to the pota-potti, most probably because of the simplicity.....A composting toilet is with out a doubt the most complicated (and unreliable) way to handle waste on a boat.
Old 11-11-2010, 22:09   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Old 12-11-2010, 02:26   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
What?

You eat the composted bit?

You are very environmentally conscious. But its been done before in the film/book soylant green

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(set in 2022 - lol)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:12   #29

Porta potty VS bucket VS Head

I cannot yet claim more then one experience on board and underway but from the gals viewpoint let me share my 2 cents.
If the gal is all that "fine" that using a bucket or Porta potty upsets her, you are probably looking in the wrong place for your lady friends. "Looks" and "high class" will never endure certain basic requirements of this life style over time. She might be a 10 landlocked but that does not mean she's even a 2 underway.

I do HIGHLY recommend the seat. I have one we use for camping and was used as back up before we got 2nd toilet installed in house and will carry it on the boat as back up when I am that far along in this.

The only real difference is when camping we take along a box of kitty litter to kill the smell so we do not have to empty it in the middle of the night.
after use put one good sized scoop on top of your "product " and go back to bed, same theory as the old fashioned earth toilet. Either Kitty litter that contains baking soda or add you own baking soda is best.

As an alternative I recently was looking for a porta jane type device, never found that particular one but if you would like to solve the #1 issue Google pee standing up women plastic or the one I like best from research is pStyle - Stand up and pee with the pStyle | Krista's Cups: pStyles, DivaCups, and more!

That's my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:20   #30

The thought occurs to me, the bacteria stuff they use for septics that you flush down the house toilet once a month is fairly easy to find at least in US, could that be used as a replacement for the chemicals?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: