Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 12:36   #1

Physical Address Required for CG Documentation

I just renewed by documentation. The Coast Guard send me back a note saying a PO Box is not sufficient and that register my vessel I must provide a physical address. Further this address must be the actual residence of the owner of the boat.

This seems impossibly strange. What do you all that have no physical address do?

I could provide my sisters address, but technically that would be invalid since it is not the primary residence of the owner.

I could provide my Marina address, which would be valid until I leave, but then I might never see my renewal notices. Plus unless I call them every time I move (which might be kind of fun) I would still be out of compliance as soon as I go cruising.

Just curious how others handle this dilemma.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39   #2

FYI - Coast Guard just called back. They promised no mail at the physical address. That will still go to the PO Box. They said provide Marina address while I am there. Provide my sisters address if I am out cruising.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 14:07   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Get a Florida address with St. Brendan's Isle - a mail forwarding service in Green Cove Springs, Florida.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 15:17   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Get a Florida address with St. Brendan's Isle - a mail forwarding service in Green Cove Springs, Florida.
Be careful. If the CG considers this the "physical" address of the boat Florida may come after you for taxes on the boat. Maine did that to me because I used a Maine hailing port in the registration, so the states are cross checking addresses with the CG database.
Old 07-07-2010, 17:00   #5

Montana doesn't want taxes unless the boat spends more than 90 days in-state
Old 07-07-2010, 20:45   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There is a thread on taxes while cruising but the bottom line is you need a physical address of either a relative, friend or service and you should coordinate all your stuff to that address. Then when you are out for years cruising the chances of bureaucrats wanting explanations of why this asset is here and that asset is there can be avoided. So long as all your stuff is going to one address they will not question whether you are physically living there - which is rather difficult when you are in Bora Bora. It is just a game and if you don't require the bureaucrat to actually have to think about something, you will be fine.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation