Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-05-2013, 19:50   #1

Pet Policies -World Cruising

We are planning a world cruise next year and would love to be able to take the kids dog (25 kilograms). Does anyone have any experience or info how to manage this? Example we want to dock in various places and leave the dog on the boat for obvious reasons we can't wait around for the quarantine period to pass in various countries we visit. Seems like the maximum you can leave the dog onboard unattended is 12 hours - how does one get around this huge problem? Forget it this too complicated we'll just have to take a dog minder - any volunteers?

Old 13-05-2013, 00:31   #2

Boat: Custom 55
Re: Pet Policies -World Cruising

Hi, It would be good to know where you are bound. Different countries have radically different rules. Here are a couple of basics which might be of help to you.

Essentially all of Central and South America, and most of the Caribbean, while they do have published rules on pets on board, are very lax when it comes to checking up on them. Make sure you can document vaccinations, and get an international health certificate from a local vet anytime you're in a larger town. When we're cruising down south, we try to have a health cert that's less than a few months old when we enter new countries.

In practice, nobody really seems to care! I would not worry about this portion of the world with my dog.

When we check into countries, we typically don't mention the mutt unless we're directly asked. We simply smile and shrug, and say that we assumed that the rules only applied to livestock. Of course, we have all of the health documentation handy. We have found that the expression that's so common in the developing world that 'it's better to ask forgiveness than permission' holds very true in this case. I'm sure I'll be crucified by some for this. Fire away.

Conversely, I would not want to take him to the South Pacific. Way more hassle than it's worth, and assuming you were to make the normal run to Oz or NZ, you would have a heck of a hassle to negotiate.

We're going to the Med for our next cruise, and our research so far indicates that we shouldn't have much trouble.

I hope this helps. We wouldn't go anywhere without our dog! (Except the S. Pacific...)

TJ

Old 16-05-2013, 05:00   #3

Hi TJ,
Thanks so much for your very helpful reply it gave us a much better picture of how it works. It gives us food for thought we are looking at the option of having the dog minded now as it really does make things simpler. We would love him to come with us but the problem is we will be doing lots of exploring that will take us off the boat and that doesn't meet his needs unless we take someone to help out we shall see. In terms of our itinerary we expect to cross the Pacific- travel to the Americas and eventually get to Europe
Cheers, Ana.
Old 16-05-2013, 05:06   #4
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JUst be careful what you read about Pets in Europe, most of the literature makes the assumption that you are travelling by an 'approved' method, ie commercial air, sea or via specific land crossing into the EU. The rules are different if you arrive via an unapproved means, such as a leisure boat.

( for example the Pet passport scheme doesnt really apply for private yachts)

In general Europe is NOT rabies free and hence there isnt too many issues with bringing in pets The UK and Ireland are rabies free and have far more strenuous procedures.

Having said all that , I would still advise you to comply with the Pet Passport scheme and microchipping the animal.

As a dog lover. I dont think dogs and cruising boats go together IMHO anyway
Dave
Old 16-05-2013, 05:46   #5

Thanks for your advice re Europe - looking more and more like Charlie will not be joining us! I do heed your comments about dogs not being particularly compatible with sailing. Thanks Dave : )
Old 16-05-2013, 06:08   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

noonsite has the info i needed for travelling with my cat on board...is a good resource.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 06:38   #7
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
noonsite has the info i needed for travelling with my cat on board...is a good resource.

Not to harp on about noonsite but heres what I mean about sites that take general purpose information which can mislead people

noonsites info on bringing pets to the UK

Quote:
The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) allows pet dogs, cats or ferrets into or back into the UK without quarantine.........

To bring dogs or cats into UK under PETS from any of the listed countries you must have them microchipped, vacinated against rabbies and blood tested. This procedure must be followed ....... If your pet is resident in another country, the procedure may differ so check in advance with DEFRA. Animals that do not meet all the rules must be licensed into quarantine but may be released early if they can be shown to meet PETS requirements. PETS documentation. For animals being prepared in an EU country, an EU passport is required and for animals being prepared in a non EU country, you will need to obtain an official third country vetenirary certificate but please note that Gibraltar, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland are also issuing passports. ........

however the DEFRA check list , clearly for example that you must use the 'approved route' which is not mentioned at all on the noonsite entry.

Similarly noonsite reports for the UK

"Firearms and ammunition, including gas pistols and similar weapons, may not be imported."

which of course is nonsense. ( There are procedures thats all) ( ps no a gun thread) .

As I said be careful about generic information regarding pet procedures in the EU.

dave
Old 16-05-2013, 06:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosen2477 View Post
Thanks for your advice re Europe - looking more and more like Charlie will not be joining us! I do heed your comments about dogs not being particularly compatible with sailing. Thanks Dave : )
Poor Charlie! Just another disposable friend? Good lesson for the kids.
Old 16-05-2013, 06:55   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

if you read thoroughly you will also read the recommendation for seeking info from EACH country to be visited--this is excellent info---a good guideline is noonsite----can go from there.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 03:48   #10

Actually Svdestiny if we decide to leave our dog behind he will be staying with our eldest child who is not joining us on our trip. Clearly that is not bad role modelling for him or the other two younger kids. On-board or onshore he will be in good hands and dearly loved. Thanks for your concern.
Old 18-05-2013, 05:28   #11

That would be an ideal solution. Sorry if I was offensive, obviously you do care about Charlie.
Old 18-05-2013, 05:45   #12

there are always ways round things..
Old 18-05-2013, 07:04   #13

About as much trouble as carrying a gun everywhere you go, but at least with a gun, you can decide you made a mistake and throw it overboard.
Old 18-05-2013, 07:41   #14

a couple of friends just circumnavigated the planet with a border collie onboard - good dog..... provided border collies need a lot of exercise... (what they did is install a small doggie-trademill in one of the hulls!! for exercise during the passages - brilliant) they went from europe to the french west indies (st barths) - no problems there - and stayed there 3 months. then mexico, 1 month, no probs.
after that, a pacific crossing to french polynesia, again french territory - and again, no probs, provided you clear all steps with the authorities in Papeete right when you arrive) Then someone told them that if they go to OZ, but go to new zealand first and stay there 3 months, provided all of dog's required paperwork and vaccinations are top notch, then the required quarantine time into new zealand (when coming from french polynesia) is shortened to either 10 days or nil, and if you stay in new zealand for 3 months and comply with doggie health requirements for entry into OZ, then the quarantine time in OZ is drastically reduced - 10 days i heard. So browse the internet, make a few phone calls, speak to a good cruisers association in New Zealand who know about crossings into OZ, and the obstacles should start to fall, and you should be able to circumnavigate with your dog with no problems. (google the quarantine requirements for entry into OZ from new Zealand)
sail safe
alexxx
Old 20-05-2013, 04:41   #15

Thanks Alexxx for that great info that really helps! Great comments from everyone it's been great to learn from others experiences.

Plus no problems svdestiny you obviously care about the welfare of our furry friends and I respect that thanks for your comments : )

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: