Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 14:40   #16

Re: Passports, and how much info gets back to your home government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Like the OP, I'm not concerned about the nefarious crook who is out to steal my data. That's relatively easy to deal with. It's the institutions who claim to have my best interests at heart; governments, corporations, organizations, etc... These are the ones who make me nervous.
Fair enough; I certainly don't want anyone digging around in my personal life anymore than the next guy. But at the same time, we do submit our itinerary (at a macro level) to the State Department so they're aware of our movements.

We avoid the narco-cartel areas, but I think there's a much better chance of the State Department needing to notify me of a travel warning in my area from cartel violence than a more amorphous threat to my privacy.

Just my personal choice; I'm all about people being able to do what they want to do.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:21   #17

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Most countries you cruise to and from with the exception of the US probably have an entrance/exit procedure. They not only like to keep track of who is in their country but also who has left. You just need to get used to it. It does provide employment, particularly in second or third world countries.
As far as your home country keeping track of you, there isn't much of an incentive to do it unless you are on a 'blacklist' of some sort. But with the advent and proliforation of computers, even the poorest of country's will have access to folks moving around the world, I'm afraid. Easier to drop off the grid at home! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:30   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Down in Florida US officials are paranoid about boaters having traveled to Cuba, so be prepared for a real grilling if you re-enter the USA in a place like Key West--at least that was our experience. They insisted on grilling each of us (my wife and two children) separately in a different room, and all of us got questions about "Cuban cigars" and things like that. I believe Cuban authorities will let you in and out without stamping your passport, if you so desire.
Old 21-05-2013, 15:46   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

If the country you enter has you fill out a paper form using carbon paper to make copies there's a good chance that the US is never going to know about it.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:49   #20

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

A very good point! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:59   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I think the prudent thing to do is mind your "P's" and "Q's", and purely to assume that knowledge concerning you will surface wherever and whenever it is most likely to confound you.

Ann
Old 21-05-2013, 16:13   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
If the country you enter has you fill out a paper form using carbon paper to make copies there's a good chance that the US is never going to know about it.
Well, I don't know about nowadays, but about 15 years ago we were in Fiji, a place that certainly used carbon paper for forms (and pretty daggy carbon paper at that!). A large motor yacht was anchored near to us in Suva harbour, and one day the Federales (or whatever they are called there) arrived, boarded, and took the skipper away in cuffs... along with some firearms he hadn't bothered to declare. Turns out that he had declared them in his last country (NZ) and the officials sent word along the route. He was in a world of hurt and IIRC served some time in a really ugly jail in downtown Suva.

Extrapolating from this to today, I suspect that even third world countries communicate with most of the major first world players, even if they sometimes use carbon paper for the forms.

But really, if you can't deal with this sort of non-anonymity you are in for a rough life no matter where you go, cruising or not!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 21-05-2013, 16:18   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

As of next year and 2015 for sure Canada and United States will be exchanging both entry and exit information when you check into the country. Something to do with a North American security perimeter. Is it a concern? No not really however it is part of that slippery slope a lot of us have concerns about.
Old 21-05-2013, 16:30   #24

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I thought it was interesting that during the hunt for the Boston bombers it came out that the EZ Pass system was on the lookout for them in case they tried to flee down I95 or I90. I also found it interesting how quickly they were picked out amongst a crowd of hundreds of thousands of people based on surveillance and amateur video and stills. Almost every major entry and exit point of countries is now under constant video surveillance also, and with face recognition technology they don't need your passport to figure out if you were there. I suspect it is only a matter of time that if the NSA or the CIA wants to find someone they will instantly be able to locate that person anywhere on earth and get a log of where they have been, if they can't already do so.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:04   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
As of next year and 2015 for sure Canada and United States will be exchanging both entry and exit information when you check into the country. Something to do with a North American security perimeter. Is it a concern? No not really however it is part of that slippery slope a lot of us have concerns about.
Following 9/11 when we all dashed for the Panic Rooms one of the first things to emerge was the ubiquitous no-fly lists. No problem everyone says. If you're not one of the bad guys, then what's the big deal about governments and private trans-national corporations sharing info about you -- you're a good guy, after all.

Shortly there after flying became very difficult for me. I was constantly delayed at checking in, at security and at boarding. I was constantly targeted for "random" searches, my bags were always doubly-checked, and my motives for travel were always given tight scrutiny.

One day I get a friendly agent who, after giving me the once-over and then finding me fit to exist, tells me the reason for all the added attention is that my name is on the No-Fly list. WHAT!?! I say ... I'm a good guy. Never hurt a fly. Pay my taxes on time. Have no criminal record -- hell, I haven't even had a traffic ticket for over 20 years.

Too bad ... I'm on it, or rather some Michael O'Reilly is on it. Takes me years of riggamorohle, but I finally sort things out -- kinda.

So yes, I feel no comfort over the idea of expanded surveillance; especially by those who are only looking out for our collective best interest. Be wary -- especially of those who claim good intentions.
Old 21-05-2013, 17:11   #26

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Mike! Apply for a TWIC card; about $160 USD, good for 5 years. You'll have your chance to clear your name. You'll be thoroughly vetted by the FBI and Homeland Security. Once you pass the checks...smooth "sailing" through any airport or port of entry. Next to your passport and driver's license, the TWIC card is among the best (national) ID card to have. (You must be a US citizen to apply for it.) Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:26   #27

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Starting in 2003 the US Department of Homeland Security, working through the US Embassy's and consulate offices, began to train local Immigration and Customs how to deal with aliens entering their countries.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 19:05   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hi Mike! Apply for a TWIC card; about $160 USD, good for 5 years. You'll have your chance to clear your name. You'll be thoroughly vetted by the FBI and Homeland Security. Once you pass the checks...smooth "sailing" through any airport or port of entry. Next to your passport and driver's license, the TWIC card is among the best (national) ID card to have. (You must be a US citizen to apply for it.)
Thanks Mauritz, but I'm a Canadian, so no TWIC for me. Actually, I would be very hesitant to voluntarily give the US government, or indeed any government, organization or corporation, any more personal information than is absolutely necessary.

I'm not overly paranoid (despite how all this sounds), and I'm certainly not one of those who think we need to barricade ourselves against nasty government nazis. But I am increasingly concerned about the decline in personal privacy, both in the public, as well as the private sphere -- all in the name of security and safety. Who doesn't want more security? And if the price is more scrutiny, more surveillance, more information being collected about all of us, well, that's OK because I'm a good guy. I have nothing to hide...

It's the banality of evil.
Old 21-05-2013, 19:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Thanks Mauritz, but I'm a Canadian, so no TWIC for me. Actually, I would be very hesitant to voluntarily give the US government, or indeed any government, organization or corporation, any more personal information than is absolutely necessary.

I'm not overly paranoid (despite how all this sounds), and I'm certainly not one of those who think we need to barricade ourselves against nasty government nazis. But I am increasingly concerned about the decline in personal privacy, both in the public, as well as the private sphere -- all in the name of security and safety. Who doesn't want more security? And if the price is more scrutiny, more surveillance, more information being collected about all of us, well, that's OK because I'm a good guy. I have nothing to hide...

It's the banality of evil.
Spot on mate
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government