Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 14:36   #1

Boat: lagoon 410 41'
Passport Issues

hi, my wife and i are picking up our new boat in puerto rico. the boat is us flagged, and uscg documented. i have a passport but my wife does not. we have read conflicting reports that because PR is a us territory passports are not required. our plan is to sail the boat directly from PR to FL without any stops in foreign countries. any advice on whether or not my wife needs a passport would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

ps: also what would happen if we did decide to make stop in nassau? would they allow us into the harbor and allow me off the boat but require her to stay on board, or would they just turn us away?
captntimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 14:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Passport Issues

Having the passport for your wife will avoid difficulties. I'm not accustomed to requiring a passport for entry to the Bahamas; however, a passport to return to the US has been required for many years now after foreign travel.
Old 23-05-2016, 09:10   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Your problem will be if you need to bail out someplace due to whatever problems that may arise. We always have a bail out plan and take the necessary precautions to have the proper stuff on board if we need to implement our bail out plan.

food for thought
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 09:11   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Your problem will be if you need to bail out someplace due to whatever problems that may arise. We always have a bail out plan and take the necessary precautions to have the proper stuff on board if we need to implement our bail out plan.

food for thought
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 09:20   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I lived in PR for years and understand your passport confusion. The answer is that technically on the PR to FL trip you are correct - she doesn't need one. But stopping the NAS will automatically negate that. She now needs one. Entering the US at any FL gateway is difficult without a passport, now you're either going to tell them you went to NAS and there's trouble, or you're going to lie and there may be bigger trouble. Even if it's PR to FL any cranky customs guy could make your life miserable for a few hours while he figures it out.

Personally, I wouldn't want to start out my new adventures with my new boat like that. It's not the answer I would want to hear either, but unfortunately it's probably so. She should have the passport.

Good luck with your new boat!

On edit - does she have an enhanced drivers license????
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote