Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-08-2015, 09:41   #1

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter
Passport cards?

My wife and I are renewing our passports (U.S.) and have been informed now that a passport card is available as an addition. It is supposed to be valid in Canada, Mexico, Burmuda, The Bahamas and thru out the Carribean only for land and sea travel. My question is: Who has experience with these? Did you have any problems with them in forgien ports in leu of regular passport? Any other thoughts or experiences would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2015, 11:11   #2

Re: Passport cards?

Considered this option myself, the last time I had to renew my passport. After looking into it, frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would get a passport card. The price difference is minimal and there is no meaningful benefit.

Yes, for now, it is a smaller card that will get you into a couple of nearby countries. But what if that changes? You used to be able to go in and out of those countries with just a drivers license. Then 9/11 happened and they decided you needed more. What will they decide the next time something happens?

A regular passport works anywhere in the world. It makes no sense at all to have both a regular passport and a passport card. Given the limitations of the passport card, and the possibility that at some point in the future, some of the countries that now accept the card, could change there minds, I'm just not seeing it.

Get a regular passport.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Considered this option myself, the last time I had to renew my passport. After looking into it, frankly, I cannot understand why anyone would get a passport card. The price difference is minimal and there is no meaningful benefit.

Yes, for now, it is a smaller card that will get you into a couple of nearby countries. But what if that changes? You used to be able to go in and out of those countries with just a drivers license. Then 9/11 happened and they decided you needed more. What will they decide the next time something happens?

A regular passport works anywhere in the world. It makes no sense at all to have both a regular passport and a passport card. Given the limitations of the passport card, and the possibility that at some point in the future, some of the countries that now accept the card, could change there minds, I'm just not seeing it.

Get a regular passport.
Same opinion. Most countries want to put a stamp on a page in a book which you cannot do with the card. So the card is very limited in where you can use it.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

I got both the passport and card last time I renewed. You really need a passport for most boat travel. I use the card when I am in a country that 'requires' that you have your passport on you when you are on land. I have the card in my wallet and leave the passport on the boat. In practice, I don't think it matters much.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:02   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I have had both for many years and just renewed both about a year ago. My reason is that I travel back and forth between the USVI and BVI countless times per year and don't like to keep adding pages to my conventional passport to make room for stamps. My passport card looks fine in the event it gets wet. It fits in my billfold/money clip. I have it with me most of the time for those impromptu "Hey is there any chance you could run over to ______ ASAP?"
I look at as a decent backup to the paper version in the event it gets lost or stolen.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: