Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 08:49   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Paper Work - What Should I Have Received with New (to Me) Boat?

I have recently purchased a self build Bruce Roberts from a friend of mine in the UK. She first went into the water in 1999. Can anyone tell me what paper work I should have recieved.

poddanell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:34   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,931
Images: 54
Hello, poddanell, and welcome to Cruisers Forum. Hope you enjoy the place.

In general, I would tend to think that the paperwork you should have received is whatever it will take to "register" or "document" the boat with whatever governmental agency handles that sort of thing where you live.

Is it the UK? Perhaps some UK members can chime in with more specific suggestions.

Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43   #3
Registered User
bastonjock's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincolnshire UK
Boat: Mac 26x
Posts: 169
when i bought my boat,i received a load of papers that showed the original transaction and purchased of the boat,the then owner gave me a receipt for the moneys and signed over the boat to me. I also have the VAT cert which is most important if you are ever going to go sailing on the continent.

There were also old insurance certs etc,plenty of proof to show that the vendor owned the boat.
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 15:09   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,316
To have the boat, it is good to have a proof of ownership. The contract is one such a thing.

To register, you must approach the registering agency. I bet visiting your agency's website will lead you thru the process.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 15:57   #5
Registered User
CharlieCobra's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Posts: 1,289
All I got beside a photo album with copies of older reg forms was a signed off Documentation sheet. That's all I needed to Doc the boat under my name with the USCG. The Documentation is proof in lieu of title.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 16:11   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You need an official form of boat title registration. This is normally from the country where you are a citizen. The documentation of the transaction of the sale may be part of the process for securing that document but on it's own means nothing. Some country needs to validate that you personally own this boat. A bill of sale is alone not sufficient.

Other than that a valid passport is required for all persons aboard. Visas may or may not be required. Licenses for any VHF / HF radios would also be a very good idea. Not knowing the requirements would not be a good idea. You will always be presumed to have known. Without proper documentation it could be assumed you stole the boat. Should the situation come to that they can toss you in jail and they do not need to probve the boat is not yours. It's serious stuff.

The Documentation is proof in lieu of title
USCG documentation is title - always - any place. It is renewed annually at no cost - don't forget.
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 00:49   #7
Registered User
Zanshin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 57
Posts: 1,628
Poddanell - what country are you in? If you are in the UK and the boat is UK then it might be registered as Part I or Part III (see UK Ship Register - Pleasure Craft/Small Ships)
-Zanshin (SV Zanshin)
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:05   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Posts: 399
As impotantly, financially, is whether the boat is in EU and if so whether you can prove VAT either on the sale to you or on the parts as she was built. It would help responses if we knew where you and the boat actually are.

Sarah & Pip
s/v Roaring Girl
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat, Nearly New, Just Needs a Little Gelcoat Work ... ad_astra Off Topic Forum 4 29-08-2009 12:21
Boat Work Help on Tortola ? Tspringer Construction, Maintenance & Refit 1 27-08-2008 08:56
How Boat Things Work GordMay The Library 0 02-07-2008 02:17
Looking Forward to Some Boat Work! exposure Construction, Maintenance & Refit 8 20-05-2004 17:45

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.