Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which vessel is the Stand on vessel in the scenario of this post
Boat in front 43 97.73%
Boat with side-tow behind 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 06:38   #121

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Overtaking Vessel Wanting you to Speed Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I was taught the onus is on the boat entering the fairway from the fingers/slips to post a lookout, give a warning signal (whistle, horn, etc.), proceed at a slow enough speed to avoid a collision, and ultimately yield to boats already in the fairway, similar in concept to vehicles proceeding up an on-ramp to a freeway yielding to cars already traveling on the freeway.
IME, they only put "Yield" signs on the on-ramps in the US. In most of the civilized world, there are "Merge" signs, and incoming traffic is expected to smoothly join the traffic flow.

That said, I agree that the rule 2 normal observance would be for the boat entering the larger channel to do so cautiously, but given that there are no explicit rules to that end, and unlikely "Yield" signs at the mouth of the finger channel, it would be hard to give it the most weight.

IMO, the other rules that apply are, in no particular order:

6 - both vessels; obviously if neither could stop in time to avoid collision, they were both going too fast;
9(f)/34(e) - both vessels; although I consider it impractical for vsl 1 to sound a prolonged blast passing every obscured finger channel, so would weigh more heavily on vsl 3;
15 - the rules don't make a distinction about relative size of channels, so this is a crossing situation and vsl 1 failed to keep clear of vsl 3; by extension rules 8 and 16 also apply, and a fail of rule 17 for vsl 3.

I would split the blame vessel1 60%/vessel3 40%.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:10   #122

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltysailor2 View Post
Even though I have years of experience on the water I am always looking to learn more. That is why I posted in the first place.

Your post has a great take away for me. I am very aware that power boats have less control at slower speeds. But I am going to pay even more attention to that than I already do.

By the way many people have been commenting on the skills of the opperator of the power boat. I did not recognize him when he was behind me but I do know who he is and he in an excellent boat handler.

In your subsequent discussion(s) with the other skipper... were you able to discover WHY he wanted you to speed up?

-Chris
Old 12-07-2014, 11:38   #123

Boat: cat 27

I'm curious what most CF members call the very narrow body of water inside a marina between docks which has slips on either side of it?

Slipway.

...and I agree with those who say the rules are the rules, but understanding when a boat behind you is struggling to maintain steerage, and accommodating that boat, is the sign of a courteous sailor.

I've chicken jibed in a channel to drop behind a power boat that needed to maintain steerage behind me. No sweat off my hide and a lot safer than making him tailgate me.
longbordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:30   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbordz View Post
I'm curious what most CF members call the very narrow body of water inside a marina between docks which has slips on either side of it?...............

............I've chicken jibed in a channel...........
I'll toss in my idea that "narrow" within a marina would be less than 50' wide and "very narrow" less than 35'.

I had to google "chicken gybe"! Sure, I've done it,-'just didn't have a name among my sailing crowds,-thanks for the word!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:38   #125

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'll toss in my idea that "narrow" within a marina would be less than 50' wide and "very narrow" less than 35'.
As usual I probably wasn't specific enough but I'm talking about the last waterway you travel on and where your slip is located, which is typically 35-50 feet (at MDR anyway).
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 15:28   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
As usual I probably wasn't specific enough but I'm talking about the last waterway you travel on and where your slip is located, which is typically 35-50 feet (at MDR anyway).
It's likely my inability to be as specific as you. Though I frequent many locales, I don't "have a slip". The distance between slips at my current location is about forty feet at all times. I don't understand the MDR factor.
Old 12-07-2014, 15:56   #127

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I think the reason "narrow channel" is not absolutely defined in the rules ifs because it is more about maneuverability of the traffic than the absolute geographical distance.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:00   #128

Boat: Skookum 53'

The lawyers would have a field day with a specified width. Do you measure it at MLW? Or HMW? What was the state to the tide at the time of the alleged incident, so we can know exactly how wide the channel was at the time.
Old 12-07-2014, 21:22   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The lawyers would have a field Payday with a specified width. Do you measure it at MLW? Or HMW? What was the state to the tide at the time of the alleged incident, so we can know exactly how wide the channel was at the time.
Fixed that up for ya...

Ambiguity, the bread and butter of the legal system...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 21:37   #130

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Had to stop forward progress when the tug and dredging barge started toward the marina's exit. While conditions were calm, I'm confident that with single engine and thruster, control could be maintained under more challenging conditions.

Old 12-07-2014, 23:11   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
In your subsequent discussion(s) with the other skipper... were you able to discover WHY he wanted you to speed up?

-Chris
He never told me why. If I have the opportunity to ask him in the near future I will and then post it here.
Saltysailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote