Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-04-2008, 15:33   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
But that now contradicts the information posted earlier in regards to USCG inspections and requirements. You guys are confusing

The point that is missing is there is no mandatory inspection by the Coast Guard here in the U. S. They can board your vessel to check compliance or you can ask them to have your boat inspected but it is not required.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 15:55   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
USCG Minimum Saftey Standards

Wheels,

Here are the USCG's minimum safety standards.

Most on-the-water safety inspections are done by the Coast Guard Auxilliary, a volunteer organization, not the Coast Guard itself. A boatowner can request an inspection. If he passes, he gets an annual sticker to prove it. The Auxilliaries are picking up a lot of slack for the Coasties these days, including watch-standing at Coast Guard Stations and training of USCG personnel.

USCG Minimum Safety Standards

Personal Flotation Devices
All boats must carry one Type I, II, III, or V PFD for each person on board, plus at least one Type IV (throwable) device. Type V allowed only if worn.

Distress Signals
If you use your boat on salt water or on the Great Lakes, you must carry USCG-approved "visual distress signals."

The Coast Guard recommends combinations such as these: Three hand-held red flares (day or night); or One hand-held red flare and two parachute flares (day or night); or One hand-held orange smoke, two floating smoke (both day) and one electric distress light (night only). SOLAS grade is not required.

Fire Extinguishers
You must carry fire extinguishers if you have an inboard engine, any closed compartment where fuel or flammable liquid is stored, permanent fuel tanks, or enclosed living space.

Ventilation
All boats built after August 1, 1980 must have ventilation systems that comply with Coast Guard standards, and bear a label which so states

Backfire Flame Control
Gas engines, with the exception of outboards, must be equipped with a USCG-approved flame control device, attached with a flame-tight connection.

Sound Signals
While a sound signal device is not specifically required to be aboard boats less than 39 feet, the use of sound signals is required by all vessels at certain times: in reduced visibility (fog) and under certain meeting, crossing, and overtaking situations. So for all practical purposes, you must carry a power whistle, or a power horn and a bell.

Lights and Dayshapes

Boats over 23 feet when at anchor must display a 360-degree white light at night and a ball shape during the day. Boats under 23 feet do not need to show lights or dayshapes, unless anchored in or near a narrow channel, or near areas where other vessels normally navigate. Sailboats under sail and power must show a conical dayshape, point down. Vessels under 39 feet are not required to do so if under Inland Rules.

Old 13-04-2008, 16:31   #33

Here in NZ the only mandatory requirement for pleasure vessels not undertaking an international voyage and for the carriage of safety equipment is the single one that sufficient lifejackets must be carried, and are to be worn "if conditions warrant".

Obviously one is required to comply with Collision Regulations insofar as lights and shapes are concerned (but you only rarely see a pleasure vessel complying insofar as showing day shapes) but apart from that I cannot think of any other regulation that affects the fitting out of the vessel - the is no regulation requiring the carriage of flares, for example. There was a decision some years ago that the best way to manage those things was through education.

However, one will be charged if an accident/incident results from operating an unsafe vessel.

I have never known of anyone being inspected to see if lifejackets were being carried but that does not mean to say that it does not happen - we have, however, been interviewed by the police doing rounds of remote anchorages checking for yachts that have entered illegally.
Old 13-04-2008, 20:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
ML1 you're obviously south of the border, the Bombay Hills border that is. On Akl harbour some of the CG weekend warriors do/have stopped boats and asked to see life jackets. They don't have any official power to do so but just as a education thing (I think) with some of the more shonky looking boats. No idea what happens if you don't have any. They even tried stopping me on my commercial barge but didn't get that good a reception shall we say. No-one who can't put a twin outboard big rubber duck along side a big barge moving at 5knts on a clam day is telling me what to do.

Here in NZ any yacht yacht races has to comply with International Yacht Racing Rules which do have a list of goodies you much carry. Even Cat 4, the lowest 'sheltered harbours' sort of thing, has flares, fire extinguishers and lots of basic safety gear. Not hard and just the basic stuff any good boaty would carry anyway. They can be inspected at any time and often do before or on crossing the finish line of a big race.

Day shapes here, yeah right. Many have them but 99% of the people on the water wouldn't have the faintest idea what they mean.

All sound signals are made by stereo, rattling empty beer bottles or just a drunken boater looking for spare beverage supplies. Strangely most people would understand those but not any official sound signals, sad really.
Old 14-04-2008, 03:24   #35

Yes, if the weekend warriors tried wanting to inspect me they would get told where to go too . I see lovely Helen is going to give them more of our money too.

Don't know what they are like up your end but the little I've had to do with or seen of the police on the water here has been very good. They get around a bit too, we've seen them way over around D'Urville Island just wandering around checking on things so 60 or 70nm away from home. They often bring the big boat into the marina and go up and down the aisles, which are little more than a boat length wide for them, just nosing around. A couple of times seen them follow some boat in to chat to them about some observed misdemeanour - I suspect the only punishment is the fact they do the chat in public , so an "educational" thing. Would personally like to see them or someone else take the weekend Dad's Army ones over.

I think some of the yacht clubs have "rules" approximating a relevant ISAF Category too for those taking part in cruising events from what I have seen, but not into that gregarious holding hands type sail somewhere together stuff myself.
Old 14-04-2008, 03:36   #36

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Yes, if the weekend warriors tried wanting to inspect me they would get told where to go too . I see lovely Helen is going to give them more of our money too.
In defence of the NZ Coastguard, AFAIK they get no government funding and are reluctant to take anything from Her Majesty Helen Klark as it would probably cost them more to deal with the associated bureaucracy. They have no enforcement mandate and are about safety & education. In saying that you will always get some who get all overcome with testoserone when given a powerful boat & a uniform. It is up to affected boaties to first, make sure they are squeaky clean and then report the self appointed sheriffs to their parent unit.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 06:07   #37

Yes I was being a bit nasty . Partly driven by we are too big for them to tow but mostly because I would like to see SAR for air land and sea better organised, professional and more reliably funded which I think means a gov't owned body of some sort (not a great fan of government bodies but can't see much public money ever going to individual volunteer charity type organisations) or to contestable contracts with private providers (which would be an anathema to current Government ideology).

Regarding no Government funding, and that is what Coastguard, etc all claim (usually carefully saying no "direct" Government funding), I think a financial person might have a different view given the money that comes via the Lottery Grants Board.

Why I say that is NZ Lotteries Commission is a Crown Entity (so is owned by the Government) and its profits from the state lotteries (Lotto, etc) are given the preferential status of being tax free. They still pay GST and lottery duty (and the small impost for support of problem gambling) but total tax is only about 11% of sales so the Government essentially foregoes the 33% (or from the other day 30%) company tax off the profit it would otherwise have also got if it had set it up as a State Owned Enterprise. The profits, including all the foregone tax but less a small amount (only around 1% I think) goes to the Lottery Grants Board for distribution to charities, etc - the Lottery Grants Board is administered by the Ministry of Internal Affairs (so again the Government).

So, from a financial point of view the taxes foregone by the Government are definitely a Government gift to those the money is distributed to by the Board. Furthermore, the Lotteries Commission is set up to generate money for the Government (it is owned by the Government) from the state lotteries and the Government foregoes the use of that money for other purposes choosing for it to be distributed to the charities, etc plus three statutory bodies it funds (Creative NZ, NZ Film Commission, Sport & Recreation NZ). So again it is a gift from the Government to those that share in it.

I think the main unstated gripe is that the money is contestable and the potential recipients have to put up a case for it - which I personally think is a good thing when money is going to volunteer type organisations in order to promote efficient and responsible use of it. But no one, least of all charities like to have to fight for money by justifying what they are going to spend it on. In any event Coastguard got enough money this year from Lottery Grants Board (the Government in disguise ) for around 10 new vessels so the world can't be all bad for them .

Well, that is my interpretation . As you see, no free lunches when I'm around but must be about time to reward myself with a late night beer .

John
Old 14-04-2008, 18:07   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
I have no problem with CG checking as many just have no idea really. I don't like the somewhat over inflated egos that are occasionally on the boats and the manner in which they 'ask' at times though.

Police wise we have one boat and a dozen or so that run her. So they just don't have the resources to do much really after they have rescued sinking boats, ferried people from Waiheke to hospital and so on.

As for the ARC (Regional Council) it's them who makes the rules but again they just don't have the resources to enforce either.

Just luckily 99% of boaters on the harbour are generally pretty good.
Old 27-07-2008, 02:49   #39

Boat: warwick 44
there is CG, Poilce and ARC doing basically the same thing why don't they almagamate there would be less over heads and less over lap of "services" . oh thats right the would mean a puplic organization a goverment department and local goverment would have to work to gether! how foolish of me
Old 11-08-2009, 02:28   #40

NZ Cat 1

Can anyone point me in the direction of the actual Cat 1 list? I'm having a bit of a brain freeze in locating it...
Old 11-08-2009, 13:21   #41

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Only recently put online, here they are
http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/Upload/...ling_09-12.pdf

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 14:33   #42

NZ Cat 1

Brilliant thanks!! Quite detailed...
Old 13-08-2009, 04:55   #43

Boat: Hanna Tahiti 35ft
Hi,
I'm hoping to do a couple of years' sailing in either Asia or the Americas and have been looking for a yacht. But I live in NZ and have discovered the CAT 1 regulations. It seems that not only must my boat have the safety check, but also the skipper, or someone aboard, must have a few thousand miles of bluewater sailing under his belt before the boat can leave the country. Is this true? I have no objection to safety equipment, and I'd get the stuff regardless, but the compulsory nature of all this is yet another example of our nanny state. It annoys me so much I'm now looking in the USA and Australia for boats, rather than here. I'd like to know what the regulations are for Australian boats (broadly speaking). Is it possible to simply push off and sail north from Cairns, or are there legions of officials with forms to be filled and boxes to be ticked? I have heard the waters around the USA are relatively free of people trying to save us from ourselves; any info. on Australia would be welcome.

There is some sense to the NZ regs, of course; there always is. The waters near NZ are rough and the government sends out a frigate if you screw up. This costs money that could be spent on welfare or politicians' subsidised holidays. But I think the big issue is how free we should be to risk our own lives.

Colin
CMcC
Old 13-08-2009, 07:05   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
No issues with the boat in terms of leaving Cairns, apart from the fact that whilst in Qld waters you will have to abide by the standard provisions of the Transport Operations (marine Safety) act. All normal stuff like flares v sheets etc. Theoretically you need to have an Australian Registered ship if travelling in international waters. But plenty don't have that.
Old 13-08-2009, 17:12   #45

Boat: Trismus 37
Have a look around NZ as there are probably several overseas registered yachts for sale that you could buy and take offshore without having to go through Cat 1. A lot of cat 1 is common sense but some is over the top, and it is only cat 1 until you arrive at your first foreign port it then becomes cat 2, not that any one is going to check as it is only policed by NZ. There is some leeway given based on your experience and yacht setup. Its main validity is for racing yachts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: