Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 06:32   #16

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes!!!!! I had one of those drones over my boat!!

Watch the video of what happened!!!!!!!

Its only 17 seconds loong...

Make sure it doesnt happen to you!

I think I just wizzed myself. Effing hilarious.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:04   #17

Re: NOAA Drones Busting Boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I expect they were looking for those bigger fish, and the unauthorized dive was just bycatch.
Maybe, but they were still breaking the law, still diving in a sensitive area where they could easily be doing serious ecological damage, so I'm with the guy who said, eff 'em, they were breaking the law, they deserve whatever punishment they are going to get.

Or, as Beretta used to say, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Call me over-sensitive if you want, but I'm getting really tired of people who knowingly and deliberately break the law, and then whine incessantly about how unfair it is when they get caught.

(And, please, Lake-Effect, I hope you understand I am simply using your post as a spring-board. I do not intend to direct my peevishness at you, personally.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:25   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Sorry, they don't have telephoto lenses that big! "
Ah, forty years ago "they" had telephoto lenses on satellites that could make out the stripes in parking lots, and tell if the "blinds" on airline aircraft were open or closed while they were loading at the airport. And that was just the unclassified stuff. The only resolution limit was atmospheric twinkling, and even back then, they were also working on ways to correct for that.
If you've got the wallet, you can get incredible resolution in all kinds of ways. Drone a thousand feet up? No problem, you can buy that much technology at Walmart.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:04   #19

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

If you're going to get all concerned about "big brother" watching you, maybe you should start thinking about your employer asking his IT staff to create a report on how many of his employee's are surfing the internet using his computers during business hours. Once the heavy hitters are identified then he can ask for a report of what websites they visit.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:36   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

People are making much to do about nothing over these drones...

US Law Enforcement has been using helicopters and fixed wing aircraft for years doing the same thing... looking down on people in plain sight committing crimes!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 20:58   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This is the X-2, a US Navy sailing drone being tested by Scripps in San Diego. The X-3 has hydrofoils and will reportedly do 30+ knots. Harbor Wing is the builder. The idea is to use these autonomous sailing craft to patrol large expanses of ocean. And don't even think about boarding one, it would ruin your whole day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0321.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	62827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0325.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	62828  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0352.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	62829  
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 21:07   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe, but they were still breaking the law, still diving in a sensitive area where they could easily be doing serious ecological damage, so I'm with the guy who said, eff 'em, they were breaking the law, they deserve whatever punishment they are going to get.

Or, as Beretta used to say, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Call me over-sensitive if you want, but I'm getting really tired of people who knowingly and deliberately break the law, and then whine incessantly about how unfair it is when they get caught.

(And, please, Lake-Effect, I hope you understand I am simply using your post as a spring-board. I do not intend to direct my peevishness at you, personally.)

I think it's quite piggish to go out on to the water and then not honor the ecological boundaries.

Some friends and I went "swimming with manatees" in the Crystal River. Strict rules applied. The manatees had roped off areas where humans were not allowed. The manatees knew that, and that's where the great majority of them were, sleeping. They could have cared less that we were there. Even in the open areas, if a manatee was resting on the bottom we were not allowd to approach it. In fact, we had to wait for them to approach us, which they sometimes did.

But one drunken fool went inside the lines. He didn't realize that there were volunteers in some of the canoes, with radios to call Fish and Wildlife. The volunteer took a picture of him inside the ropes, and C & F fined him ... $500. They really weren't kidding.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 21:31   #23

I'm not a diver, but I've never heard of this 'crime' before. I know that it is bad to anchor on a reef, but to dive a shipwreck or a reef do you always have to get authorization from somebody or some company?

I'm assuming that if they are using big drones to catch this, that it is in a far remote area, and it doesn't seem like a non-commercial diver or two would be much of an impact.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 23:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I'm not a diver, but I've never heard of this 'crime' before. I know that it is bad to anchor on a reef, but to dive a shipwreck or a reef do you always have to get authorization from somebody or some company?

I'm assuming that if they are using big drones to catch this, that it is in a far remote area, and it doesn't seem like a non-commercial diver or two would be much of an impact.
I'm not sure of the particulars, but a lot of countries have permit processes to go through. Essentially they have an overhead to police the reefs and nearby ecology, and they're trying to recoup those costs.

The spots in Mexico have always been fairly cheap. In Baja you can buy a $50/person/year pass which gives you access to (I think) every national park. I've never had a problem paying permit fees for outdoor areas.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 00:31   #25

Boat: Skookum 53'

Santa Claus is watching you.
Old 19-06-2013, 05:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
No, this is an ecologically sensitive area that is completely off limits to all diving activities. The coral in the area is highly stressed, and it is also part of a bird sanctuary.

The real point, though, is that it is the Florida Keys. There are miles and miles of great diving and snorkeling places. There is absolutely no reason why anyone just HAS to dive in this one, restricted area (other than the fact of them being selfish, inconsiderate boobs who deserve whatever they get).

In addition, it should be pointed out that these drones are not out specifically looking for people who are violating the restricted area. That they caught these people out there was just a coincidence. A happy one, if you ask me.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Darn !! I guess Im gonna have to start peein over the side only at night !! Might get busted for indecent exposure !! Or defileing the coral or something !! LOL
Dont worry, its no big thing.
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:23   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post

Dont worry, its no big thing.
Heard they do have thermal imaging......
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:54   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, this is an ecologically sensitive area that is completely off limits to all diving activities. The coral in the area is highly stressed, and it is also part of a bird sanctuary.

The real point, though, is that it is the Florida Keys. There are miles and miles of great diving and snorkeling places. There is absolutely no reason why anyone just HAS to dive in this one, restricted area (other than the fact of them being selfish, inconsiderate boobs who deserve whatever they get).

In addition, it should be pointed out that these drones are not out specifically looking for people who are violating the restricted area. That they caught these people out there was just a coincidence. A happy one, if you ask me.
http://www.nps.gov/drto/planyourvisi...&PageID=204070

The Research Natural Area at Dry Tortugas National Park doesn't limit diving in sensitive areas. It limits where you can fish and where you can anchor. The swim and snorkel areas mentioned in the brochure are Garden Key and Loggerhead Key safety areas of separation between boats/dinghies and swimmers.

I have been there when a research vessel temporarily had areas cordoned off with buoys and we were asked by personnel on that boat to not enter that area as they have equipment on the sea floor performing current/wave/temperature/salinity studies, etc. I would imagine if the OP story is true, they were busted for anchoring in the wrong location, not diving.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:19   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Darn !! I guess Im gonna have to start peein over the side only at night !! Might get busted for indecent exposure !! Or defileing the coral or something !! LOL

Peeing over the side is legal. What is not legal would be like peeing into a bucket and then shooting that over.

Indecent exposure is a risk though if you are in a populated area.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote