Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2007, 20:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
"We could yell at these guys all day long to no avail. My neighbours and I have to deal with erosion not only from boats but the freeze and thaw in winter time. Does anyone have a practical legal idea to get them to slow down? (cops won't hand out tickets unless they r speedin) We have considered potato cannons, but they may be a little lethal. My neighbour and I purchased waterballoon launchers on Sunday but haven't set them up yet. This weekend its going to be war"

I feel your pain! I used to live on a slough where the speed limit was 5 mph. Almost everyone went about 9 or 10 with resultant big wakes.
Swimmers of the human and canine kind were always at risk.
We saw ducks get killed. The cops didn't do diddly.
Our neighbor across the river was ready to put up an electric anchor windlass with a BIG chain attached to a big concrete footing on the other side of the river, to be raised to just below the waterline whenever he saw an egregious violator coming.

Steve B.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:54   #17

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I keep my boat in Deep River, about 7 miles up the CT river from Long Island Sound. Tivoli is a big sturdy sailboat, however, each time one of the big powerboats overtake us we have to really hang on, it becomes dangerous at times. They are flying, I mean really going fast and they look right at you as if to say, so.... In the sound it is one thing to open up their engines, but in the river there is no room to manuver, we just have to take it. I think it will never change, it is very frustrating.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:16   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"a practical legal idea to get them to slow down?"
Now, if you hadn't gone all fuzzy and said "legal" I'd have said to float out lots of polypo lines and net. Fouls the props something horrible. Or, put out a few danger marks that say "MINEFIELD -- KEEP CLEAR" and then put out some mines. Blame it on Homeland Security.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11   #19

Suck it up ...if they are not speeding or breaking the law ...deal with it.
Buy some bumpers for the boat...
Put up a reminder sign......or move

A Potato cannon is just a good way to get thumped.I follow the rules if the sign says 10 ...I'll do ten.

If some guy launches a spud at my boat because he doesnt like the wake my boat throws at 10 he had better have a good Dentist
Old 05-06-2007, 11:25   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capct

A Potato cannon is just a good way to get thumped.I follow the rules if the sign says 10 ...I'll do ten.

If some guy launches a spud at my boat because he doesnt like the wake my boat throws at 10 he had better have a good Dentist
Even if they are not speeding they may be breaking the law if their wake is causing damage. The attitude of 'this is fine because it is legal and everyone else can piss off' is part of the problem. In the end you are saying that your rights and conveinence outweigh everyone else. Don't take offense at this, I see it more and more (and not just on the water).

Yesterday while I was at the boat yard (the creek is a 6MPH zone only on weekends and holidays, though we are working on a full time speed limit) a largish flybridge cabin cruiser (read bayliner type thing) was on plane in the creek (which I think is silly as it does get a bit restricted in manuverability). The operator came off plane just before my dock and sent a very large wake through the marina. I thought that was ever so &@)$&*@)&@*^#&@(&@#*^@*#^ considerate of him.

And no, I don't think one should be launching potatos at speeding boats, torpedos would be much more effective.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Capct is exactly the kind of guy my neighbor's chain/windlass idea was aimed at.

Grr!
Old 05-06-2007, 16:09   #22
cruiser

Quote:

This guy is obviously just on this forum to get a rise out of people. I wonder if he has a boat or not?
Old 05-06-2007, 17:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Even if they are not speeding they may be breaking the law if their wake is causing damage. The attitude of 'this is fine because it is legal and everyone else can piss off' is part of the problem. In the end you are saying that your rights and conveinence outweigh everyone else. Don't take offense at this, I see it more and more (and not just on the water).

Yesterday while I was at the boat yard (the creek is a 6MPH zone only on weekends and holidays, though we are working on a full time speed limit) a largish flybridge cabin cruiser (read bayliner type thing) was on plane in the creek (which I think is silly as it does get a bit restricted in manuverability). The operator came off plane just before my dock and sent a very large wake through the marina. I thought that was ever so &@)$&*@)&@*^#&@(&@#*^@*#^ considerate of him.

And no, I don't think one should be launching potatos at speeding boats, torpedos would be much more effective.

I said nothing of the sort .....Read my post...read his post...he is saying he wants to start shooting people for doing the posted limit,cause his whips moved.
I said if they are not breaking the law suck it up....

Hell even if they ARE breaking the law it doesn't give him the right to start using a compressed air cannon to arbitrarily start shooting boats.....and if he does anyway......he should expect a response in kind of some sort

Trying to suggest I have an attitude is absurd when buddy here is suggesting shooting people ....that is just a bit over the top sullivan
Old 05-06-2007, 17:15   #24

Well, this has officially spun out of control. I would caution everyone to not be so literal.

Carry on.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:26   #25

Boat: 30' Hunter
If you took the time to actually understand my post Capct I said “We have considered potato cannons, but they may be a little lethal.” Myself nor my friend would never shoot a potato cannon at a fellow boater nor did I say that, I was just giving an example of the length one might go, it was supposed to be humorous. It’s really a matter of respecting the environment as well as people’s property. That was the point of my post. The lowest posted speed limit through out the whole system is 10km, (it needs to be changed in some places) as far as NO WAKE signs we (the property owners below the locks) have 20-30 thru a 2 km stretch. I guess as Maddog said don’t take it so ”literal”.

The only "rise" I got was in my pants from my wife.
I just wasted my time replying to this.
Some people just don’t get it.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:44   #26
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Even if they are not speeding they may be breaking the law if their wake is causing damage.
i agree with you but there are plenty of reasons why this may not be true: show me a case that has been tried in a court of law that awarded damages caused by a wake.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:06   #27

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Wow, lively thread! potato cannon? WTF? will get a digital camera to monitor things for reporting. but hey launching spuds...that is funny.

Well , I just wanted to update what our lovely, efficient city council decided on as the late nite continued last nite. After long, usual city debates from liquor licenes, permits, easements and a big issue relating to business owners and illegal immigrants (a whole seperate topic all together)

Well, the update was is that somehow, someway, the city alderman (most are non boaters) opted for a no wake zone 500' from any dock or marina. They didn't adopt the proposed plan to keep it no wake through the city of Green Bay. Now it'll be entertaining to watch which motorboaters can't gauge their speed or be disrepectful to other boaters this summer.

Amazing how non boating legislators do things. But we don't imagine this ordinance change will remain in effect.

Hey all, spuds are best as french fries!
Old 07-06-2007, 00:53   #28

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Quote:

You are a troll & a tosser. This is a "CRUISER'S" forum. I guess most of the contributors here would agree that true cruisers despise the restrictions placed on us by over-regulation and bureaucracy. BUT, we do live by the principle of "let me do my thing and I'll let you do yours, but please, respect me & my boat by being considerate because that is exactly how I intend to behave towards you"

If you want to blindly adhere to a set of rules for their own sake because you don't have the sense or desire to take responsibility for your own actions then unfortunately your idyllic place of residence (USSR), no longer exists.

Yes, if I had morons showing total lack of respect by their ignorant actions then I would retaliate, and have in the past whilst still retaining all my teeth.

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:39   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I guess most of the contributors here would agree that true cruisers despise the restrictions placed on us by over-regulation and bureaucracy.
Perhaps, but here at Cruisers Forum you have to be registered to be allowed to post here and you have already agreed to follow the rules when you registered. Any of you can be asked to leave if a reminder is not sufficient so no one participating in this thread is beyond that requirement.

All members are reminded that this is a private forum where you are are here as our guests and we choose to promote a better type of discussion than this thread is headed toward. This entire forum is considered a no wake zone!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:03   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
This entire forum is considered a no wake zone!
Ha ha ha... that's a good one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: