Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 09:52   #1

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
No Registration Papers for a Danish Yacht !?

I am in the process of buying a Danish sailboat. The boat is in escrow.

The current owner has not registered the boat with his government. As far as I can tell, the only proof that he owns the boat is a four year old bill of sale, when he purchased the vessel.

He's cruised the boat in America and the Caribbean.

This sounds very fishy to me-- as an American, when I am checking into a country the very first thing they want to see are passports and the vessel registration.

Does anyone here know, in fact, that Danish vessels do not require any documentation? Or know a professional who could definitively tell me?

Of course, I am certain that I can register the boat with the US. But the lack of documentation makes me wonder how liens or loans are recorded on Danish vessels, and if this boat may indeed be encumbered in some way. How are loans and liens recorded on EU vessels?
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: No registration papers for a Danish yacht!?

If you're thinking about buying a boat with dodgy paperwork outside the US, read about Javier Martin and Don North.

Serial Killer Javier Martin Captured in Santa Fe, Darien - Panama Guide
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 07:28   #3

Boat: LM 22
Re: No Registration Papers for a Danish Yacht !?

For danish recreational vessels the rules with respect to registration is available on Fritidsskibe - unfortunately only in danish. I'll try to summarize them as I understand them:

For vessels with a gross tonnage of less than 5 it is not possible to get registered in the danish ship register.

For vessels with a gross tonnage between 5 and 20 it is optional to get registered in the danish ship register.

For vessels with a gross tonnage of more than 20 it is mandatory to get registered in the danish ship register.

Besides the obvious certificate of the ship being registered in the danish ship registry it is also possible, for a nominal fee to get a certificate specifying that the relevant ship is NOT registered - if this is the case.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, yacht