Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2010, 05:01   #46

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Unfortunately even the use of ammonia, bleach and heavy chemical cleaning solutions can arouse suspicion and warrant further investigation.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 16:48   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I have been considering having my vessel flagged Canadian as I was thinking of moving to BC and have heard stories from sailors about how US flagged vessels are not treated kindly in some South Pacific countries....this just reinforces it some.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:24   #48

Boat: Professionaly build 44 LOD steel round bilge Centre Cockpit Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Canadian Customs told me when one of my crew members had a criminal record (30 years old and not even on his US record any more) before they politely offered to give him a ride to the Vancouver bus station so he could catch a Seattle bound bus. Since then I contact CA customs before I even start out from my US home port, they are always polite and helpful.

And yes the captain of the vessel is responsible for everyone on board and the laws of the country for which they are flagged, I wouldn't start about how some authorities over step their bounds, better to just make sure everything one is clean....it is MY boat and my HOME..no reason to endanger it unnecessarily
Must have been one heavy Dude!
I know (Fact) of a case where this Fellow (Canadian Citizen) got convicted in 1993. A Criminal Record check in 2005 turned out negative. Yes I saw the RCMP paper myself and also know this Feller regularely crosses into the US for shopping trips. Dont know what to belive anymore.
Old 05-12-2010, 13:43   #49

Boat: 40' Northstar Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passage50 View Post
Must have been one heavy Dude!
I know (Fact) of a case where this Fellow (Canadian Citizen) got convicted in 1993. A Criminal Record check in 2005 turned out negative. Yes I saw the RCMP paper myself and also know this Feller regularely crosses into the US for shopping trips. Dont know what to belive anymore.
I used to cross the border between Canada and the US several times a week as a truck driver. I worked with people who had criminal records and never had a problem. Usually it was something fairly minor they had done when they were young. Occasionally one of these guys would meet the wrong customs officer on the wrong day and be denied entry. Once that happened they would need to get a pardon if they wished to continue to cross the border. One example was a fellow who had been caught shoplifting as a teenager. He had spent most of his life as a truck driver and never had a problem till he was in his sixties.
ahnutts! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 16:47   #50
Eternal Member

Turned out he had been selling heroin while in prison and had 4 felonies under his belt.
Old 05-12-2010, 17:28   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
as far as uscg goes---i was just boarded on my mooring because i have bullies for neighbors who love cop calling for no reason--i feed food to my hungry neighbors, so everytime i have guests, these creeps call uscg and the harbor police.. last time everyone was tired of the bs and so coasties did a doggie sniff -- took em 3 hours to realize there was nothing on board nor was there EVER anything on board----they did not check windows or ports or any surfaces for residue, just doggie sniff. my kat hated it. i think it took so long because they found my black lace.......

btw--there was NO reason at all for th e feds to have been called--ditto harbor police--- therefore, both entities are now looking at the false callers....no criminals here except the false caller...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:09   #52

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
too bad you couldn't have dropped a 'bag' of goodies off on your neighbors boat and sent the feds over for a visit with them! (can't believe I said that!)... cheers, CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 19:24   #53
Eternal Member

When the Canadian Customs did search my boat, their search dog was more interested in my dog sitting on the dock (she was pissed) while a dog she didn't know who I was obviously agetated about on HER boat....she never liked labs after that.
Old 05-12-2010, 19:25   #54

capt phil-- their time will come--karma happens nicely on water, and expeditiously and sans aid.
realistically speaking, the homeless insecurity folks are cruising the smugglers alleys off fla and kali---they WILL approach, but they dont board unless there is just cause or a report--SO FAR. they like 0300.
is always good to travel clean and sober, humans and boat.
\
that dobie was a scary doggie. reallllly scary. bubby didnt like having a strange dog on his boat.
Old 05-12-2010, 20:05   #55

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
You are right as usual, 'Z'...bad karma is a bitch but it will catch up with them, hopefully at the worst possible time and in a not so pleasant way. When I was in SD, I invited ICE aboard one day after their 5th cruise past my boat... had a couple of 'south of the border' types helping out with painting... no problems, everyone had papers and it gave the agents a chance to board without resorting to threats. Found them to be polite, complimentary and nice guys, if a little stiff. They always waved when they cruised by after that. I've had similar encounters with 'coasties' as well... always invited them aboard for a beverage and small talk... met some great men and women up and down the coast in the service... figured good karma might come my way which it did... CP
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:51   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
that dobie was a scary doggie. reallllly scary. bubby didnt like having a strange dog on his boat.
The whole thing sounds kind of nasty Zee. Tell Bubby I said "cats rule and dogs drool". Tell her if she is thorough in spreading fur everywhere it will be as though the dog was never there.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 23:24   #57

bubby doesnt hesitate to spit hiss and scratch--i taught him well...at least i had my doggie sniff test done so i am home free..LOL...i dont know what previous owners did on htis boat, so i wanted to do that-- i just didnt expect it to come to me!!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:57   #58

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
True story, different vehicle, but same problem.
Friend purchased a car from a police auction. Found out later than it was a siezed assett from a drug dealer. Was concerned that it may have been used to transport drugs, and that there may be a residue in the car, and a narc with a good memory for certain type of vehicles.
Friend took the vehicle back to the police and asked that it be thoroughly examined, and issued a clean slate.
Police said:
A. How do we know that YOU haven't transported drugs since you purchased it.
B. What happens if we issue a clean slate, miss something, and find it later in an unrelated check. (Remember the officer with the good memory above).
Friend promptly sold the car.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:19   #59

wow--i forgot about the consequences of buying the WRONG car or boat--i bought both -- at different times-- the boat was removed from me by the druggies from whom i was purchasing it(seems they liked the survey replacement value and decided that was a better price than the 7500 i was paying-)--and the camaro was used for transport-- yipes-i didnt know this-- and the gal was well enough known that i was harrassed and stopped for picking nose with wrong finger, driving while white, throwing a hair out the window.. many nuisance things--i finally understood when the police officer called me by her name--i hurriedly GAVE the car away and ran from it--is now in kansas under water--perfect place for it!!!!

but those are the specific reasons why i wanted a doggie sniff test on my formosa--
Old 06-12-2010, 09:37   #60
Eternal Member

I lent my car to the friend of my boss...turned out he used it for a drug deal. After that every time I went anywhere day there was a cop on my tail (town I lived in was also the county seat and just down the road from state police plus the drug run was made over state lines..... So many police n one place I guess they didn't have anything better to do.