Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-11-2010, 11:40   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Is the USCG boards your boat and finds evidence of drug use through a "residue test" they can seize your boat. It used to be that you needed something major to have a boat seized (like a roach)

Old 02-11-2010, 11:45   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If something is found what a Captain can do is put the individual under house arrest and report them to the authorities as soon as they enter port. That should, at least, help save the boat and license.
If something is found by the Captain then toss it overboard. No evidence - no conviction.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46   #18
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

I had a problem with 'ROACHES' once....
But I got these little hotels for them.... once they check in they neva check out...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00   #19

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
If something is found by the Captain then toss it overboard. No evidence, no crime.
Aye, that's pretty much what the couple crossing the Bay of Biscay did with their find. The couple that was wanting to "learn how to sail" kept their appointment and of course it wasn't long before the lady in question "Needed to use the heads". She came running up in a state of panic grabbed her man and took off down the docks. They knew they had been rumbled.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:03   #20

Boat: Maxum 37'
Quote:
If something is found by the Captain then toss it overboard. No evidence, no crime.
Ditto, In this case doing the "right thing", can be more trouble than it is worth. The stuff goes overboard instantly, the passenger responsible goes ashore at the next landfall. Thats my policy, and I make it clear on boarding. On the firearm seizure, In the US federal laws only apply in federal waters, once a ship enters the bay or docks they are subject to local laws. NY is undergoing legal changes to enforcement of firearm laws. I would avoid taking anything that even looks like a weapon into those waters until they straighten it out. (see post on piracy thread).
Old 02-11-2010, 12:12   #21

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
But as they say prevention is better than a cure is there not some way of getting a bit of background info on your potential charter party?
Requesting scans of their passports upon booking and then submitting those scans to local authorities or something, running them by Interpol before they even set foot on your boat?
Old 02-11-2010, 13:42   #22

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
if some one who was to board your vessel had a criminal record
Might be handy to get in to australia.

Or do you not need one to sail there any more?
Old 02-11-2010, 14:06   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I had a problem with 'ROACHES' once....
But I got these little hotels for them.... once they check in they neva check out...
That must have been the Hotel California
Old 02-11-2010, 19:55   #24
Eternal Member

Quote:
If something is found by the Captain then toss it overboard. No evidence - no conviction.
Does the crew member with the criminal record that would make the whole boat suspect count. A crew member with a 30 year old conviction had 3 or 4 Canadian customs agents and a drug dog pouring over my boat for a couple of hours, and they are alot more civil than US Customs agents
Old 02-11-2010, 20:35   #25
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
But as they say prevention is better than a cure is there not some way of getting a bit of background info on your potential charter party?
Requesting scans of their passports upon booking and then submitting those scans to local authorities or something, running them by Interpol before they even set foot on your boat?
If they complain just say it is to make going through customs smoother (because it will). If a crew member does not respect the fact that their "baggage" from the past and/or their "luggage" being carried on the boat could endanger your boat than maybe they don't belong there in the first place. "If you have something you don't want the customs to know about fine...just not on my boat"
Old 03-11-2010, 06:01   #26
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You as a private citizen, generally dont have acces to police records, so unless they choose to tell ,no this isnt a process that can be used and I thank the authorities for that so as to retain whatever civil liberties I have.

In modern "western" democracies, the capitian isnt automatically responsible, yes the vessel could be siezed, but generally if the capitan is innocent and unaware of the contraband and wasnt seen as particulary negligient then he will not be charged. ( this is only where there is personal ammounts etc).

Dave
Old 03-11-2010, 18:22   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Got to remember that not all criminals get caught. so won't have convictions. The only guaranteed way is not to let anyone onboard. even the law abiding can get sucked / conned / coerced into doing things that they would not normally do - especially when abroad.

Picking up complete strangers and taking them home always has some risk

A verified work record and evidence that they do have things to lose (job prospects / assets) would be a comfort. or being proffessional crew with the references to match.......but that's just shrunk the potential pool radically. and will have a cost in time, effort and 's.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 18:53   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Had one owner ask for his handgun back after delivering his boat back from Mexico for him. Even though I asked him several times before accepting the delivery if he had any firearms aboard (to which he replied 'of course not') he risked his boat, my licence, and probable jail time for me, the skipper. Why he would risk a million $ yacht for a crummy side arm is beyond me! He had hid it aboard before leaving the boat in Mexico. Needless to say, he has a hard time getting any delivery skipper to accept a job from him... I wrote up the incident in letter to The Log in San Diego. Trust no one!
Old 03-11-2010, 19:36   #29
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You as a private citizen, generally dont have acces to police records, so unless they choose to tell ,no this isnt a process that can be used and I thank the authorities for that so as to retain whatever civil liberties I have.

In modern "western" democracies, the capitian isnt automatically responsible, yes the vessel could be siezed, but generally if the capitan is innocent and unaware of the contraband and wasnt seen as particulary negligient then he will not be charged. ( this is only where there is personal ammounts etc).

Dave
As a private citizen you may not have access to police records, but if you contact customs and ask about one of your crew members before you get there they will usually be glad to oblige (better than dealing with the problem after it gets there).
Tough in the US the captain may not necessarily be held responsible, the owner of the vessel will.
Old 03-11-2010, 20:49   #30

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
The OP cited an Owner who picked up a random bunch of backpackers in Thailand. Prior to getting busted and having his boat seized.

I'd hazard a guess that the odds that one of any random bunch of backpackers in Thailand is carrying a few grams of something illicit are probably near 100%.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: