Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
As a small businessman, my philosophy is that I will provide whatever means makes it easy for the customer to get his money into my pocket. That means accepting cash, check, credit cards and Pay Pal. Of course, if I get stiffed by a customer, my exposure is likely a lot smaller than a boatyard. But still, in this day and age, I don't understand not accepting credit cards and personally get pissed off when I get surprised by that policy.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:44   #17

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
I just checked two other yards here in Seattle, they both take cards, so that's 3 I know of here. I would guess in a major U.S. city once one business accepts cards most of the others will have to follow suit to not lose business. Do you really think the business eats the fees? I'm sure I'm paying for them from increased pricing. My guess if you want the business from the racing crowd, you'll take cards. They're not going to spend extra time running around getting a cashiers check.

(One of the yards web sites I looked at accepted cards and cashiers checks, apparently not personal checks.)

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I worked at a small yard as a pup.... we did not take plastic.

The number of deadbeats who routinely pay by card and reverse the charge as soon as they have the goods is staggering. AND, this was 25 years ago during high times!
Old 09-11-2010, 20:00   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"but not sure i would trust a place that can't even accept credit cards"
Ever try to buy a new car using a credit card? Guess what, they don't want to sell it that way, even if the service and parts department take the same cards.

Between customers reversing/stopping charges, and the 3% or so that most US merchants pay (plus sometimes a 30 day delay on deposits)...you wouldn't want to take credit cards all the time either.

It just is what it is.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:23   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In all actuality, it is pretty easy to beat any tradesman anywhere.

Unless he has possession of your property.

That is why they talk to each other...Marinas, Yards....they all talk to each other.......They give each other the "heads up".

I have seen it when boats skipped on their slip rent....They will never get a local slip....

When I worked in a yard, I know for a fact the service manager (my best friend) made a few "calls" to the other yards that were equipped to handle that particular type/size/draft of vessel on a number of occasions.
Professional courtesy? I don't know.....
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 20:37   #21

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
I've been looking into marinas for costs and noticed some sites state that only cash/check accepted and no credit cards... I guess it helps to live close to be able to pay their fees.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 21:11   #22

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
No Cash No Splash.. Its the norm here in Australia as I would imagine too many yards have been stung. It does however also mean that the owner can get stung. Overcharging for services rendered and then refusing to splash until the bill is paid is a risk we all face. But is does make good sense if your the owner of a yard to do it this way.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:52   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
From a consumer perspective and off topic at the same time - I would not purchase boat parts or anything else off the internet (e.g. eBay) if the vendor did not accept credit cards (Paypal can also be set up to use your credit card). Banks and the credit card system can get really pissed if the vendor has a high number of "charge backs" and will terminate their credit card privileges. And if the vendor does not accept Paypal that is even - in my mind - a good indication of a disreputable vendor.
- - But yard bills and for a major "moving-on" vehicle/vessel it is indeed rare that credit cards can be used. Can you imagine the monthly credit card finance charge on a $300K boat. Which is a kind of silly example but I did buy a new car on a credit card once back when cars were less than $20K. But it was an almost emergency transaction and was paid off the next day.
- - My yard bills usually average $1K or more and the person/boat is normally sailing away to parts unknown. I do agree it is inconvenient to have to accumulate cash over several days but as a small business owner I have been "burned" by boat owners more than anybody else so I understand the policy. But I do think that until the business does get "burned" they still accept credit cards. So I would surmise that such a boatyard/provider is located in a "nice" community versus the highly transient boat locations.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:53   #24

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Put an extra fuse in the ignition circuit as an "anti-theft" device. Tell owner where it is after you get paid.
While presenting your rigging bill at the dockside,"discover" a split pin at the base of the mast. Tell him you will shoot up the mast and check it, once you finish the paperwork. Diplomatically, of course.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08   #25

Boat: hunter 42 - s/v Compass Rose
if your margins as a small business are only 8-10%, paying VISA 3-5% plus the cost of the gear and the service, and then waiting till the end of the month to get your money - may be the difference between making it and not making it that month.

Over the last few months more and more places are not taking cards in our area...some even give you 2% off for cash...My kind of place.
kd3pc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:00   #26

If people would only use cash, there would be no problems !! Cash is accepted most everywhere, and where it is not, then you did not need to be there.
seagypsy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17   #27

Our yard bill is payed complete upon haulout. The guys that take care of our boat deserve to be paid promptly.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38   #28
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When we had our shop (small, family run business), we accepted credit cards, but passed on 5% charge to customer. I think the banks only took 2 or 3%, but we had to make the effort of taking the credit card slips to the bank, which was quite an effort when we would rather be diving, swimming or sailing.

To be fair, we always explained our reasoning, and offered to hold the goods while the customer went to get cash (never happened, tho!)
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote