Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 06:06   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Newport RI Anchoring Ordinance

Newport RI has passed an ordinance that states you can anchor for 14 days then you have to leave the harbor, or take a mooring for 4 days. They also state that vessel owners may not leave the city limits when off their boats. Unattended vessels can be removed from anchor and charged storage rates. They claim the charted special anchorage area is a city anchorage and they can control it. We have traveled almost 10,000 miles up and down the east coast anchoring in every state and this is the first place we have been threatened with fines or seizure for anchoring my boat. I thought the Florida outcome stopped these local laws. We need to fight these laws or they will keep making and enforcing them. If anyone has experience with the legal side of this you could help out. Does anyone know if the Florida case went to fed or state court?

Mike
S/V Bay Tripper
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:47   #2

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Newport RI anchoring ordinance

Welcome to New England. Shorter season, everybody is expected to stay on their slip or mooring all summer other than day trips, and if you're in the water much past October on anything other than a Marina slip they'll threaten to confiscate your boat. It's mostly all deputized marine police divisions around here with training varying from former coast guard captains to no experience or training . None of them seem to have heard anything about the Florida anchoring show down when I asked.

Sent from my C5215 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 15:43   #3
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat

I live in narragansett/ point judith R.I. Every year when I would sail back there and visit in the summers I would get a ticket on my boat if anchored more then 3 days. One of the reasons I keep the boat down south now. A very unfriendly area for cruisers.
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:11   #4

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

(complete thread drift alert)
I love Point Judith! My Uncle owned the f/v Rhonda Denise and the Iron Horse and fished from the point for years. Tara's is the greatest bar ever.

Sent from my C5215 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 16:41   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I was told that the anchorage north of Goat Island is federal, not city controlled. The holding is better and there is more room there. I always stay there, but I have not stayed more than 14 days in a row and my boat does not look like a derelict.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 18:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Newport RI has passed an ordinance that states you can anchor for 14 days then you have to leave the harbor, or take a mooring for 4 days. They also state that vessel owners may not leave the city limits when off their boats. Unattended vessels can be removed from anchor and charged storage rates. They claim the charted special anchorage area is a city anchorage and they can control it. We have traveled almost 10,000 miles up and down the east coast anchoring in every state and this is the first place we have been threatened with fines or seizure for anchoring my boat. I thought the Florida outcome stopped these local laws. We need to fight these laws or they will keep making and enforcing them. If anyone has experience with the legal side of this you could help out. Does anyone know if the Florida case went to fed or state court?

Mike
S/V Bay Tripper
Jefferson would have a seizure. SO would Caesar Rodney.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 18:52   #7

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The anchorage North of the Newport Bridge toll booth is a nice spot.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 19:14   #8

Boat: Able 50

In defense of Newport, it is a really busy place and through recent years they have had a lot of trouble with POS boats being anchored and abandoned.

Dutch Harbor isn't too far away for anyone wanting a long stay.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, newport