Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2013, 16:00   #736

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Glad you are O.K. my advice to you would be keep up your spirits but choose your battles more carefully. There are many ways to stick it to ''the man'' that won't leave you with it sticking to you.
Old 28-07-2013, 16:01   #737

When you break the law in a foreign county; you do not get to decide in retrospect that it was an unfair law!

It is no problem to extend a visa in NZ if you go thru the proper channels and can prove adequate funds.m The whole place runs on tourism and foreign migration at this point.
Old 28-07-2013, 16:11   #738

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Great story Sean.(neighbour for a couple of days.) I've enjoyed following the thread. Always fun to seeing the excesses of officialdom getting slammed. At the same time, to round things off you have been disciplined by God for your own shortcomings.
Best wishes for you continued adventure.
Old 28-07-2013, 17:59   #739

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Frant meets Rant ROFL

The OP had my sympathy in the beginning, but reading his description of his boat, it sounds pretty disgusting and was the cause of his problems. This has nothing to do with rights, or right or wrong.
It's got to do with reality and basic cause and effect.

To cruise you have to be able to handle the weather, your boat, officialdom in foreign countries, other cruisers...

Here in Panama we were told we'd be better off if we wore long pants, even jeans ok, going to deal with officials. Did we have to? Of course not. But we did. It's seen as a sign of respect. Others told us to be prepared to wait for hours. We never did. 10 minutes was the longest.

So, the OP was right, in his opinion. Probably, but look at all the BS he has had to go through.

I'd have spent a day or 2 cleaning up my boat, and gone cruising.
But then Sandy would never let our boat look like that in the first place lol

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
Old 28-07-2013, 21:39   #740

Boat: Moody 425

Glad you made it.

Thanks for sharing your story, even though it means once again opening yourself up to a full blow by blow critique from the peanut gallery.

I am glad there are people like you doing what your doing, in the way your doing it. If there weren't then the world would be full of boring people on shiny boats doing what precisely they are told.
Old 28-07-2013, 21:43   #741
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Hey Alexandra. Is that you anchored right in the middle of the approach channel to Iririki? If it is, you've already made yourself unpopular.
Old 29-07-2013, 01:23   #742

Boat: wharram tiki 26

No Ties, if so you will now have the opportunity to express your grievances face to face.
Old 29-07-2013, 01:29   #743
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
No Ties, if so you will now have the opportunity to express your grievances face to face.
Believe me, if it is him & he doesn't shift his butt he will be in deep doodoo. Imagine, arriving in the country and the very first thing you do is break the law. That's right, it's illegal to anchor in the approach channel. Still, I'm sure it will be someone else's fault and an unfair law.
Old 29-07-2013, 02:23   #744
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Believe me, if it is him & he doesn't shift his butt he will be in deep doodoo. Imagine, arriving in the country and the very first thing you do is break the law. That's right, it's illegal to anchor in the approach channel. Still, I'm sure it will be someone else's fault and an unfair law.
i'm sure you will do the right thing and offer to tow him the 100 meters or so to the quarentine anchorage..........nice to see such co-operation amongst seafarers
Old 29-07-2013, 02:31   #745
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I am out of NZ. I had a rough passage, which took more than twice as long as it should have. When the wind is strong it is impossible to sail against, and my course is limited to a small range. I was blown east of raoul and nearly to tonga before the wind dropped and shifted enough to allow me to make it west.
Good you are safe

Quote:
In NZ a country which requires most students to wear a school uniform, you are taught at a young age that it is wrong to look different,
and everyone should look the same. If someone is different,
they are discriminated against and punished for it.
Rubbish, absolute rubbish. Some kids wear a school uniform so the country is against difference?

Quote:
The current visa rules in NZ are unfair to visitors by yacht.

I needed to overstay my visa because I wanted to experience winter
in New Zealand.
Say what. I want to experience a winter therefore I can break the law? You are unbelievable.

Hope you don't intend to visit Australia, our guys have a good sense of humour but also will expect you to comply with the law.
Old 29-07-2013, 02:46   #746
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would have thought it was more due to having to tack into a poorly lit and marked anchorage in the middle of the night.

i'm sure the quarentine fellas will set him right,and politely ask him to move the 100 meters to the left when they turn up in the morning.
It is not poorly lit and marked, it is very well defined and charted. He was not displaying a Q flag and I suspect went ashore before proper clearance so quarantine may catch up with him eventually. Meanwhile he is acting like a spoilt jerk yet again.
Old 29-07-2013, 02:54   #747
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It is not poorly lit and marked, it is very well defined and charted. He was not displaying a Q flag and I suspect went ashore before proper clearance so quarantine may catch up with him eventually. Meanwhile he is acting like a spoilt jerk yet again.
well there must have been a marked improvement in the last 2 years to the lights, since i was last there, now the kiwi's are running the place
Old 29-07-2013, 03:02   #748

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I can finally understand why the feminists in Wellington seemed so extreme.
ROTFLMFAO .

Still, I guess finally understanding something, anything, is a start
Old 29-07-2013, 03:07   #749
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
well there must have been a marked improvement in the last 2 years to the lights, since i was last there, now the kiwi's are running the place
I guess that just depends on how good a seaman you are. Personally, I find it one of the easiest anchorages except Ava Leava I have ever approached at night. Your constant defence of Alexandra as a vehicle to throw punches at me is getting a little ridiculous and boring Atoll. You can't surf the good wave of one decent island saving story for ever, let it go.
Old 29-07-2013, 03:15   #750
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I guess that just depends on how good a seaman you are. Personally, I find it one of the easiest anchorages except Ava Leava I have ever approached at night. Your constant defence of Alexandra as a vehicle to throw punches at me is getting a little ridiculous and boring Atoll. You can't surf the good wave of one decent island saving story for ever, let it go.
your constant petty attacks on the op are also getting a bit boring
,as you might have read in alexandras post ,that his steering is very loose,probably making tacking difficult.

for me i make no destinction in who i help,be it islanders,super yotters or grotty yotters,you however seem to have an enourmous chip on your shoulder against all yotties!
Closed Thread