Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 15:17   #661
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreamcat View Post
Hi At the moment here in Northland where Opua is has one of the highest shortages of work in NZ ,there is not enough work for locals let alone bloody bluddgers like he is.
yeah we have the same problem in the uk,the aussies,kiwi's and pole's have taken all the jobs
Old 08-07-2013, 15:25   #662
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
The OP SAYS he was ready to leave, but it sounds like he was trying to be one step ahead of the authorities because he was an illegal immigrant and knew the authorities were on to him. The immigration authorities wanted him to leave but couldn't order him to leave on an unseaworthy vessel (in case it then foundered and they got sued by an overly litigious next of kin of an illegal immigrant) so they made sure the vessel got inspected and was in some kind of seaworthy state. Once the state of the vessel was established then the authorities could order him to leave on the vessel.

If you believe the whole "I was trying to leave but the mean nasty man from immigration stopped me" thing then I've got a bridge you might be interested in buying.

And for the record, I have no issue at all with the guy sailing around the world on the smell of an oily rag. Its not the way everyone wants to do it, and I'm sure there are times when it's not easy but he's out there doing what he wants to do on his own terms. The caveat is, if you're going to do that, don't break the laws of the country you've entered of your own volition and then whinge like a little girl when you get caught out.
actually the immigration giving him help to leave is now quite a common process in nz,according to the article below,it costs them far less than just putting the offenders on a plane

$9m bill for deportations | New Zealand News UK
Old 08-07-2013, 15:32   #663

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

I do think that the O.P. is not going to be a problem for Australia. (My country of birth and nationality). He will not be able to obtain a visa for entry into Australia with his overstay record in NZ. Highly unlikely that he can survive the Tasman crossing in any event.
I suspect that the O.P. has neglected further details pertinant to his mis adventure with authorities, (I left my boat in Opua from Oct 2012 till Feb 2013 and have first hand dealings with the Customs and Immigration and Quarantine officers at Opua office). Upon entry into NZ a ships master will be required to sign a Temporary Import Permit. This will generally allow the vessel to stay in NZ waters for 12 months without the payment of (refundable) duty and taxes or without a bond guarantee for payment of the same. The master will be required to sign a declaration that the vessel will be forfeited for payment of duty and taxes at the expiry of 12 months if the refundable payment or bond is not forthcoming.
The Opua officials are amongst the least officious and as displayed by their conduct with the OP amongst the most accomodating officials with their application of NZ entry laws amongst thousands of international sailing guests to NZ. The O.P. has simply done the wrong thing by us all.
Old 08-07-2013, 16:00   #664
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I agree with the O.P. on immigration. Think about it for a minute... As the laws stand in most western countries today if you are a poor person you have a snowballs chance of ever seeing the world. Comfortable and white and middle class ? No worries mate.
The evidence of rising mass tourism , cheap flights , etc do not lend any credence to your supposition. Its quite possible to see plenty of the planet on a tourist visa
Quote:

The younger generation that some say are selfish etc. are also a lot less nationalistic in their views and have a lot less fear of the other. I mean you would not get this generation to sign up and give their lives away like their great,great granddaddies did in 1914 i am sure.
Perhaps thank god, they are getting sense, instead of blindly " serving their masters" in stupid causes

This thing here the interwebz is the most likely the fault, people have a sense of community that today has no boundaries.

Quote:
I have been disgusted by the lack of generosity of spirit shown here by some. I mean we all can read rules and regulations and are aware of the consequences of breaking the rules are.
The Kafkaesque nature of a lot of what governments require of people to do the right thing is truly bizarre in some instances. Ask me how I know.
The man significantly overstayed an already generous visa time limit , what spirit

Quote:
This guy and his antics will not make it harder for others to cruise. Bureaucracies will make rules regardless of what you may do and how righteous you feel when upholding them.The rules will not get less, never.
Bureaucracies , are made up of people, people respond to their experiences , events shape rules.

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 16:01   #665
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Fear mongering and the idea that the gubbermint will look out for you bolsters the idea that our borders need protecting.
What's , some crazy right wing logic at work here

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 16:04   #666
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
My friend with all due respect my situation here is a lot similiar to yours although it has been near on a decade that i have been jumping thru hoops.

Thinking young people today look at politicians with as much disdain as your good Himalayan quote,People feel estranged from those who are in charge today. Read up on the ''culture wars'' this is not new though.
Young people have shown disdain for their rulers since 1787 !!!

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 16:05   #667
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
Aw, you took my post as an encouragement to break a law somewhere. On the contrary, I just said I didn't agree with certain rules. Because of the way things are, which there is little we can do in this downward spiraling world, I agree with the bible and we should obey the laws of the land we are in. OP should not have overstayed his visa and kept his boat in a seaworthy state. That still doesn't mean I agree with the law though. But, I will follow them.
" downward spiral "

Where , when ?, and when was it an " upward spiral " by the way

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 16:07   #668
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
What is it about the O.P. that makes him an emissary of satan himself. Sure he has a boat that make lack a lick of paint and he overstayed his visa, big deal.

Enlightenment is sorely needed.
Big deal , please try this in the US and report back.

Dave
Old 08-07-2013, 17:59   #669

Boat: wharram tiki 26

goboatingnow thank you for showing me the error of my ways.
Old 08-07-2013, 18:03   #670

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by frant View Post
I do think that the O.P. is not going to be a problem for Australia. (My country of birth and nationality). He will not be able to obtain a visa for entry into Australia with his overstay record in NZ. Highly unlikely that he can survive the Tasman crossing in any event.
I suspect that the O.P. has neglected further details pertinant to his mis adventure with authorities, (I left my boat in Opua from Oct 2012 till Feb 2013 and have first hand dealings with the Customs and Immigration and Quarantine officers at Opua office). Upon entry into NZ a ships master will be required to sign a Temporary Import Permit. This will generally allow the vessel to stay in NZ waters for 12 months without the payment of (refundable) duty and taxes or without a bond guarantee for payment of the same. The master will be required to sign a declaration that the vessel will be forfeited for payment of duty and taxes at the expiry of 12 months if the refundable payment or bond is not forthcoming.
The Opua officials are amongst the least officious and as displayed by their conduct with the OP amongst the most accomodating officials with their application of NZ entry laws amongst thousands of international sailing guests to NZ. The O.P. has simply done the wrong thing by us all.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-07-2013, 18:39   #671

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
yeah we have the same problem in the uk,the aussies,kiwi's and pole's have taken all the jobs
Yes you dont have to tell me ,I am British & lived in NZ for forty five years,but at least the kiwis get visas before they leave as required & under the new law can only get a work visa if they have one UK grandparent & then its only for two years Max.
Old 08-07-2013, 19:19   #672

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstreamcat View Post
Yes & Ive just been down to see him at the yard & tell him to his face.He is now back in the water sitting on a work berth for free the next thing he is going to be wanting is a free food parcel.
Isn't it ironic that the icon of oppression the "oh my God the Nanny State is coming" crowd picked for themselves turns out to be so adept at suckling at Nanny's teats? Funny that.
Old 08-07-2013, 22:02   #673

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Are you guys for real ? Who has mentioned the nanny state in the last 10 pages?
Has this bloke asked for handouts?
The way you jokers carry on i'd expect to see a smug smile on yer mugs if the bloke came to grief on a passage.

Do you have any Idea how many undocumented people there are amongst you, shock horror there may be one living next door to ya. I tell ya this, N.Z.government has shown a lot more humanity than has been displayed by the moral majority here.
Old 08-07-2013, 22:34   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
" downward spiral "

Where , when ?, and when was it an " upward spiral " by the way

Dave
If you have to ask that question then I feel sorry for you. Hope you have a wonderful day Dave.
Old 08-07-2013, 22:38   #675
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Actually, "nanny state" was mentioned four times in the last ten pages, in the posts that were not deleted that is. I have spent a lot of time reading this thread so thought that I would pass on that useless bit of info.

Coops.