Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 20:25   #631

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Nobody gets to pick and choose which laws of a foreign sovereign state they will adhere to and which they will ignore with impunity. You may not agree with immigration laws, but you chose to arrive in a foreign country and in doing so tacitly agreed to abide by ALL of the laws of that nation or face penalties. In this case, you've infringed the immigration laws of a foreign country and could (should) have been liable for some quite severe consequences. It seems to me that you've got away very, very lightly.

BA you're not painting yourself in a very positive light by making comments like that.
Old 07-07-2013, 20:27   #632

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Well you would not wish to bring wood nor plants to Australia, Big fines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Which is a riot in light that you walk the beaches all sorts of wood is found on the beach, naturally. The USA in the same and it's maddening.
Non native invasive plant species cost the state of Florida alone about $1 billion annually. We don't have American Chestnuts anymore because of imported chestnut wood containing a non native pathogen.

The reason the world is becoming a nanny state is because there are so many selfish children like you and the OP out there who think that laws designed to limit and control problems like this aren't worth paying attention to. Selfish children require a lot of supervision because they're always breaking things and making messes on the carpet.
Old 07-07-2013, 21:12   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
On the immigration issue: I do not thing it is wrong to overstay. It does not hurt anyone or cause any damage. It is not a reasonable law, has no basis other than a few selfish reasons perhaps, and I do not have regrets especially as I had no alternative.
Yes, it does. It makes things significantly harder for those who wish to immigrate legally, by creating a presumption in the mind of the immigration officer dealing with them that you're intending to break the rules.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, in order for my wife to legally live with me in the UK we've had to spend ~$5,000 on visas over ~3 years as well as submit to an extremely intrusive examination of our finances. The thing is, we're some of the lucky ones, in that we can actually meet the immigration rules. I know plenty of people who can't - husbands and wives who can't live in the same country because they can't meet the strict visa requirements. Visa requirements brought in because people like you have ignored laws and upset the electorate.

So yes, your overstaying does hurt people, badly. But because the people you hurt aren't like you - and you'll never meet them - you evidently don't care.
Old 07-07-2013, 22:21   #634

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I agree with the O.P. on immigration. Think about it for a minute... As the laws stand in most western countries today if you are a poor person you have a snowballs chance of ever seeing the world. Comfortable and white and middle class ? No worries mate.

Is this right?

The younger generation that some say are selfish etc. are also a lot less nationalistic in their views and have a lot less fear of the other. I mean you would not get this generation to sign up and give their lives away like their great,great granddaddies did in 1914 i am sure.
This thing here the interwebz is the most likely the fault, people have a sense of community that today has no boundaries.

I have been disgusted by the lack of generosity of spirit shown here by some. I mean we all can read rules and regulations and are aware of the consequences of breaking the rules are.
The Kafkaesque nature of a lot of what governments require of people to do the right thing is truly bizarre in some instances. Ask me how I know.

This guy and his antics will not make it harder for others to cruise. Bureaucracies will make rules regardless of what you may do and how righteous you feel when upholding them.The rules will not get less, never.

This guy has accomplished more than a lot of cashed up padded armchair naysayers here would achieve.You may not like the way he is going about things, but i for one think this may be the attitude taken by more and more young people who have thought deeply about the world they live in today.
Old 07-07-2013, 22:46   #635

You know, I have to agree with the OP as well. I get so sick of stupid laws and the folks making them. In my eyes every human being is my brother or sister. Some of my bros and sis' aren't very nice this is true. But why do I have to put boarders up to keep them away? Why can't I travel somewhere on this earth that I don't own and stay for a bit.

He is right, it is pure selfishness. I don't want you in "MY" country. I agree, that NZ is doing him a huge favor based on their their laws, regs, and policies. But that doesn't mean those things shouldn't be changed or done away with.

Yes, we need laws and things that are generally acceptable to society so that society can function in a state of happiness and security. Why do we need this? Because some people just won't behave and do bad things to others. Staying a little longer somewhere because you enjoy the place is no crime though. At least it shouldn't be. The problem is when the law makers are no longer listening to the general society and become self serving and a hinderance to good things.
Old 07-07-2013, 22:55   #636

Fear mongering and the idea that the gubbermint will look out for you bolsters the idea that our borders need protecting.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:07   #637

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserbill View Post
The problem is when the law makers are no longer listening to the general society and become self serving and a hinderance to good things.
Yes, they are - people the world over get very upset about "illegal immigrants" (many of whom will be just like the OP - not intending to stay forever, but overstay their visas or maybe get offered a job and start working). They then elect politicians who promise to "do something" about it - and the reality is that they only have control over some aspects of immigration.

This is why I'm going through such an expensive and intrusive process in the UK. When in opposition, the Conservatives made a pledge to get "net immigration" below 100,000 per year. Since they can't do anything about EU immigration, they are trying to make it really hard for everyone else - and particularly married couples, in the hope that the UK spouse will emigrate, rather than adding an immigrant to the numbers.
At one point a couple of years ago (before they brought the new rules in, but were discussing them) I thought I might have to leave the country to be with my wife. This being a country where I have an excellent job, where I spent 6 years of my life in the armed forces and which one of my mates was killed fighting for.

So while I disagree with the current immigration/visa rules, I think it is utterly mule-headed to support those who wantonly flout them. There is the world of difference between what us essentially an extended holiday (the OP and most of those supporting him) and people like me who have to follow the rules in order to live with our families in our own country. And ignoring the rules only makes life a lot harder for people like me.
To paraphrase the Khazi of Kalabar, "there is no mountain in all India high enough to adequately display my contempt for his attitude". If you want to open the world up, talk to your MP/Congressman about it, don't encourage people to break the law in other countries.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:13   #638

My friend with all due respect my situation here is a lot similiar to yours although it has been near on a decade that i have been jumping thru hoops.

Thinking young people today look at politicians with as much disdain as your good Himalayan quote,People feel estranged from those who are in charge today. Read up on the ''culture wars'' this is not new though.
Old 07-07-2013, 23:14   #639

Aw, you took my post as an encouragement to break a law somewhere. On the contrary, I just said I didn't agree with certain rules. Because of the way things are, which there is little we can do in this downward spiraling world, I agree with the bible and we should obey the laws of the land we are in. OP should not have overstayed his visa and kept his boat in a seaworthy state. That still doesn't mean I agree with the law though. But, I will follow them.
Old 08-07-2013, 00:19   #640
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

NZ is such a great place to live that all these wastrels will be lining up to go there if they don't restrict immigration through legislation. As has been demonstrated NZ officials are great people who will cut you a huge amount of slack, even if you willingly flout the law. Did you know that ALL medical treatment for accident is covered by NZ ACC programme, regardless of nationality?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:35   #641

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
NZ is such a great place to live that all these wastrels will be lining up to go there if they don't restrict immigration through legislation. ------------------------------ Did you know that ALL medical treatment for accident is covered by NZ ACC programme, regardless of nationality?
Just like the USA.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:41   #642
Armchair Bucketeer

The problem with unrestricted immigration is that their are 500 million Chinamen etc who could do "your" job better and cheaper than "you". and given the chance would be happy to........which would kinda put the kybosh on funding your overseas travel by boat (or even jumbo jet!), even if it makes getting visas at the other end easier!

Having said that, I do believe that immigration is a good thing - it is just a numbers thing.

I did half go through the UK immigration process with the late wife, plenty of hurdles and PITA but doable (albeit would have been easier if one us had been stalking the other, so had more evidence of a relationship!)......FWIW, her attitude on the UK letting her in and then making her a citizen equal to us locals was "[very] stupid". But then again she had a rare skill set and no great dreams of life in the west (something that had to be done short term - mostly for the easy travel passport, plus just to see where it led business wise).
Old 08-07-2013, 01:42   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
Nobody gets to pick and choose which laws of a foreign sovereign state they will adhere to and which they will ignore with impunity. You may not agree with immigration laws, but you chose to arrive in a foreign country and in doing so tacitly agreed to abide by ALL of the laws of that nation or face penalties. In this case, you've infringed the immigration laws of a foreign country and could (should) have been liable for some quite severe consequences. It seems to me that you've got away very, very lightly.

BA you're not painting yourself in a very positive light by making comments like that.
Hi Knowazark well said I agree.I walk through & into the boat yard here in Opua were he is just about everyday.His boat is an utter tip,what should have happened instead of all the help he has got he should have been deported back to where he came from & his boat sold to defray the cost of his ticket.We get lots of cruisers here & got 434 boats this season many stay here for the season I dont know of one that overstayed a couple needed to stay longer & got help,I have made many friends from the cruising folk this guy has done a lot of damage with his attitude & talk on this forum & around the area.We as you know are a small country & dont need the expense of looking after & having to look for guys like he is when the average cost is $100000 a day for a search. The sooner he goes the better.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40   #644

What is it about the O.P. that makes him an emissary of satan himself. Sure he has a boat that make lack a lick of paint and he overstayed his visa, big deal.

Enlightenment is sorely needed.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:59   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
What is it about the O.P. that makes him an emissary of satan himself. Sure he has a boat that make lack a lick of paint and he overstayed his visa, big deal.

Enlightenment is sorely needed.
At least with me, it's his attitude that he's done nothing wrong and was (at least initially) being persecuted by the NZ authorities. If instead he's admitted from the start that he'd messed up by overstaying his visa and was looking for advice I would have been a great deal more sympathetic.

Quote:
I am preparing to leave New Zealand and I went to check out.
<snip>
Are these guys pulling my leg because they are bored and have nothing to do, or are they genuinely up to no good? Any experience with customs and immigration in bay of islands new zealand?

Quote:
On the immigration issue: I do not thing it is wrong to overstay. It does not hurt anyone or cause any damage. It is not a reasonable law, has no basis other than a few selfish reasons perhaps, and I do not have regrets especially as I had no alternative.
Note the total lack of acceptance that he'd done anything wrong, including a complete failure no mention why immigration were involved, and the self-justification.
Closed Thread