Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 13:11   #616
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
The OP has managed to sail downwind for a bit, not a great resume. Besides, he's not Ni Vanuatu so I have no interest in employing him
well i hope for your mental well being you never end up in a foreign country broke,unable to work legally on a small boat,a long way from home,as they say pride comes before a fall
Old 07-07-2013, 13:45   #617

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Already been there but managed to bounce back without bludging or breaking the law.
good for you.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:17   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
well i hope for your mental well being you never end up in a foreign country broke,unable to work legally on a small boat,a long way from home,as they say pride comes before a fall
Depends greatly on how you wound up there. The OP appears to have gotten into the situation voluntarily, so there is little sympathy for him.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:30   #619
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Depends greatly on how you wound up there. The OP appears to have gotten into the situation voluntarily, so there is little sympathy for him.
nz is actually not the easiest place to leave from,with quite a small weather window between the end of the spac cyclone season,april,and the onset of the southern hemisphere winter may-june,the loss of nina and other vessels on a fairly regular basis high lights this,unless you are happy sailing in less than optimal conditions
Old 07-07-2013, 14:39   #620

Boat: Trismus 37

We left NZ for Tonga last July, had a good run all winds from the SE quadrant, Just the first week out it was colder than it would have been in April/May.
Old 07-07-2013, 14:40   #621
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
That's pretty bloody offensive to someone who has made the effort to assimilate into another culture and has learnt the language and customs.
But also very funny .
Old 07-07-2013, 14:43   #622
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
We left NZ for Tonga last July, had a good run all winds from the SE quadrant, Just the first week out it was colder than it would have been in April/May.
i guess you weren't in a 28ft boat single handed
Old 07-07-2013, 14:53   #623

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

+ Stays – I put dynex dux 7mm standing rigging to replace the 3/16″ wire. This stuff cost $1.80 a ft, and ended up being cheaper than stainless. It does not rust, corrosion crack or fatigue like stainless. It weighs 1/8th as much. I considered galvanized wire as it would have been the cheapest route, and also very strong, but can corrode easier (unless you seal it with tar), and it still weighs a lot. I used 1/2″ bronze turn buckles (12,000lb breaking strength) to upgrade from 5/16″, and my chainplates are 1/4″x1.5″ aluminum bronze. Overall everything is 4x stronger than the stock rigging with the weakest link being the tangs on the mast which are quite strong. I have two backstays for redundancy.

Lord I couldn't read all 42 pages, but did want to post the op comments on his rig in case it hasn't been posted already. The boat looks a mess at time of pictures, but the rig seems fine, not what I'd do, but fine. He seemed thoughtful in getting the boat ready, not getting the boat pretty.

Was wondering if the new laws enacted since the Queens day race has actually decreased the need for rescue or loss of life. Anyone find any data on that?

My parents loved NZ, the only place on their circumnavigation I thought they would never leave :-)

Cheers,
Erika
Old 07-07-2013, 15:22   #624
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

As you all can see, quite a few posts have been deleted or edited to take out the rubbish. You are reminded to post within the rules of the forum. If you do not know what they are then perhaps a few moments reading them could save you having your posts deleted or actions being taken. Thank you.

Coops.
Old 07-07-2013, 15:53   #625

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
He said I have to drop my rudder, and check it for any problems, and fix them, then install an adequate tricolor on top of the mast then I'm free to go. All services tools materials and costs are free. This includes even wiring for the light as well as the light itself. Also included I have been given 4 liters of bottom paint to complete 2 coats.

[..]

I lose a perfect weather window to go and my freedom to do what I like here, but at least my boat will be better, at no cost, and I can visit nz again whenever I like.
Jeez, maybe I should drift our boat into NZ. It could use a bit of work.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:16   #626

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Should be sailing tomorrow.

The biggest thing that annoys me is the fact they forced me to pressure wash the boat and try to clean the mold off the sides. I dont see how this makes it more sea worthy. The pressure washing chafed some rigging lines too.

Stuck during perfect weather to leave when the boat was basically up for it in the beginning only increases the chances I encounter bad weather.

While I do understand their concerns, they acted on the wrong reasons here.

If you think it costs too much to rescue people, and their right to freely navigate the sea should be in question, just think of all the benefits the sea brings new zealand... good rainfall, nice climate, productive fishing, and isolation. Why not take away any one of these and compare it to the cost of rescue operations.

On the immigration issue: I do not thing it is wrong to overstay. It does not hurt anyone or cause any damage. It is not a reasonable law, has no basis other than a few selfish reasons perhaps, and I do not have regrets especially as I had no alternative.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:40   #627

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Should be sailing tomorrow.

The biggest thing that annoys me is the fact they forced me to pressure wash the boat and try to clean the mold off the sides. I dont see how this makes it more sea worthy. The pressure washing chafed some rigging lines too.

Stuck during perfect weather to leave when the boat was basically up for it in the beginning only increases the chances I encounter bad weather.

While I do understand their concerns, they acted on the wrong reasons here.

If you think it costs too much to rescue people, and their right to freely navigate the sea should be in question, just think of all the benefits the sea brings new zealand... good rainfall, nice climate, productive fishing, and isolation. Why not take away any one of these and compare it to the cost of rescue operations.

On the immigration issue: I do not thing it is wrong to overstay. It does not hurt anyone or cause any damage. It is not a reasonable law, has no basis other than a few selfish reasons perhaps, and I do not have regrets especially as I had no alternative.
I think everyone is beginning to understand why you struggled in New Zealand. I expect they won't be too sad to see you continue on your way, and best of luck.

By the way, the Aussies are wonderful and friendly people, but I wouldn't assume you can take advantage of them as easily as the Kiwis. And since the Kiwis and the Aussies are on pretty good terms, Oz may be expecting you and your game plan, so tread lightly. If you can.
Old 07-07-2013, 19:53   #628

Grrrrrrrrgh.

Now you really are just taking the piss, BA.
You want to overstay without limit while not contributing to the tax base required to fund the rescue service you apparently also expect?????

Absolutely no problem with someone moving about the planet on a shoestring, but to expect the first world to reach out and save you when you apparently disdain the work required to contribute to that infrastructure... THAT's "selfish".
Old 07-07-2013, 20:09   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
Well you would not wish to bring wood nor plants to Australia, Big fines.
Which is a riot in light that you walk the beaches all sorts of wood is found on the beach, naturally. The USA in the same and it's maddening.
Old 07-07-2013, 20:16   #630

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post

Which is a riot in light that you walk the beaches all sorts of wood is found on the beach, naturally. The USA is the same and it's maddening.
I understand, if it is in the sea for 6 months and drifts naturally it would be unlikely to have Unwanted bugs if it is bought on a boat it could verywell have something that could harm our natives.

Closed Thread