Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06   #601

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

This poster is obviously not current with his rule book. In order to legally fart to windward in the USA you must:

File an environmental impact assessment with the EPA

Hire an approved technician to measure local air quality prior to initial farting, and then each hour after the event for a total of 7 days.

Equip your crew and any innocent bystanders with supplied air respirators, approved by the Bureau of Mines for toxic atmosphere usage.

Insure that all appliances are certified for use in explosive atmospheres.

Have your skippers license endorsed for operation of lighter than air vehicles in case the accumulated gasses provide sufficient lift to become airborne.

Have full instrumentation for determining exactly which direction "to windward" is. Farting in an unapproved direction is an offense not covered by your primary permit, should it ever be issued.

You must file a certificate attesting that you do not discriminate in farting locations, based on religion, sex or ethnic origin.

The above list is for satisfying Federal statutes. Individual states may have additional requirements and counties and municipalities also may have regulations that apply.

Bureaucracies are alive and well in the good ole USA...

Cheers,

Jim
If you are in California don't forget the prop 65 warning, and a properly lit, mapped posted, and graded ADA compliant escape route.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:18   #602

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Apparently the CBP has a lake patrol and a separate river patrol. The lake patrol stopped us on the way in, the river patrol stopped us on the river then the lake patrol came back because they had forgotten something. Mind you we had not left US waters. They are always very friendly and professional, but they don't seem to communicate between departments.

The USCGS has only stopped us once. We occaisionally will stop by and ask nav and procedural questions about a new area. Always helpful and professional.

We have been stopped by multiple states water police asking to see our state registration. Again friendly and professional.

I've got no beef with them, just making the point foreign sailors in the US have a burden of compliance as well.
Absolutely agreed. Were you in Florida perchance? I know that drug running is a major issue there, so CBP may well be more of a pain in the patoot there than elsewhere. You weren't flying your 8' x 20' Peace symbol flag, were you?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:23   #603
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The tax burden for individuals in the U.S. is still less than it is in many other countries. The excise tax I pay on the boat pays for some of the nicest marine state parks, only accessible by boats, you can imagine. It also pays for mooring buoys, and while I think that 50% of the government employees in this country could be let go tomorrow with little impact, I don't mind paying for what I use. You feel differently?
As this is firmly in the category of "silly" thread ...........

I would like to live in place with:
  • No Wealth taxes on assets / Toys (boats included)
  • No Capital Gains Taxes
  • No IHT / Estate Taxes
  • Income tax at 20% (and a stable rate - lets say for the last 75 years).
  • Social Security contributions that go into a separate fund and are invested for stuff like Pensions and Old Age Nursing Home care (so there is an actual pot of cash waiting - and not an IOU).
  • Free (NHS style) at the point of demand Healthcare is also nice (group insurance - it works for a company, it also works for a society).
  • Social Security for the peasant class means low crime (folks can afford their drugs)
  • Free / cheap social housing
  • And a place with Zero External Debt
  • and a year's budget in the bank, just in case.

and I do

Unfortunately the price of all that is that we have to put our own moorings down - or use an anchor. And have to suffer the fact that da gubberment does not have the capacity to launch armed poop inspecting raids (no money = no boat = no dept = no fun when bored ).

Of course the fact that we haven't invaded anywhere since 1066 does kinda explain a lot financially.........
Old 07-07-2013, 10:33   #604

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Absolutely agreed. Were you in Florida perchance? I know that drug running is a major issue there, so CBP may well be more of a pain in the patoot there than elsewhere. You weren't flying your 8' x 20' Peace symbol flag, were you?
Flying nothing more daring than the Aussie flag in the stern and the stars n stripes off the starboard spreader. We are making our way from Duluth to the Bahamas then south some more. This happened near the Soo Locks in Upper Michigan. I think the CBP had not seen a non US/Canadian pleasure vessel in quite some time.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:06   #605
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
There are kind and generous people everywhere, boaters in particularly I've found to be most friendly and helpful. These people vastly outnumber the mean, hateful, lying, accusational, and judgmental people, some of those who post here.

The issue is when one of these is a government official, you can't just put them on ignore, and if they have the law on their side, nothing else you can do.

btw, I didn't notice anyone saying the USA is better than NZ,
only those wanting to claim NZ is better.

And finally, NZ officials DO care if people will not come to visit.
Perhaps when you've sailed out of sight of land a few times you might stop defending criminals and those who damage the lifestyle for people who aren't the worst representatives of the "Me" generation.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:25   #606
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Perhaps when you've sailed out of sight of land a few times you might stop defending criminals and those who damage the lifestyle for people who aren't the worst representatives of the "Me" generation.
one might argue that "you" working in vanuatu has an equal negative effect,taking jobs away from the locals,assuming you work there legally that is
Old 07-07-2013, 12:29   #607

Boat: wharram tiki 26

No Ties, you not a fan of the O.P.?
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39   #608
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
one might argue that "you" working in vanuatu has an equal negative effect,taking jobs away from the locals,assuming you work there legally that is
Maybe you should talk to the locals I employ, the local I have made a director of the company, the locals I train inhouse and send away for internationally accredited training and qualification before you start questioning my integrity.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46   #609
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Maybe you should talk to the locals I employ, the local I have made a director of the company, the locals I train inhouse and send away for internationally accredited training and qualification before you start questioning my integrity.
The OP is a criminal, this has been established as fact. Anybody who continues to defend him is morally bankrupt IMO
i guess you ignore beggars on the street and tell them to get a job veiwed from your lofty position in society
Old 07-07-2013, 12:47   #610
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i guess you ignore beggars on the street and tell them to get a job veiwed from your lofty position in society
Some I ignore, others I employ and train.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:55   #611

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Bwana dispella need a job.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59   #612
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Some I ignore, others I employ and train.
maybe you should offer the op a job ,sounds like a handy guy to have around having crossed an ocean and survived for so long on so little

sounds like he could do with a leg up rather than mean spirited critcism bigfella!
Old 07-07-2013, 12:59   #613
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Bwana dispella need a job.
That's pretty bloody offensive to someone who has made the effort to assimilate into another culture and has learnt the language and customs.
Old 07-07-2013, 13:04   #614

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Thread drift warning!!!

NoTies, by any chance did your boat once belong to Mark Ruddiger? IIRC it had been extended (sugar scoop stern) whilst he and Kay were in NZed.

Just curious...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-07-2013, 13:10   #615
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thread drift warning!!!

NoTies, by any chance did your boat once belong to Mark Ruddiger? IIRC it had been extended (sugar scoop stern) whilst he and Kay were in NZed.

Just curious...

Cheers,

Jim
Hi Jim, Mark didn't own our W29 but the sugar scoop extension was a pretty common mod so there are a few around.
Closed Thread