Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2013, 04:52   #301
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

What Real KruiZers tend to forget is that when it comes to how da gubberment impacts on them it is the view from the armchairs that counts far more than anything they say or think....especially if they be a furriner .

Cue squealing about how the world should be rather than it is .
Old 30-06-2013, 05:24   #302

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post

Just seems a little more serious and REAL cf with some idiot with POT plants and bamboo sticks...
Actually, in defense of the OP (and I don't usually do this). He did say they were potted plants, not pot plants. I carry aluminum poles on the deck, not bamboo, I use them for the sun awning.
Old 30-06-2013, 09:48   #303

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I have made a boarding ladder for my cat out of bamboo, when will I be vilified ?
Old 30-06-2013, 11:39   #304

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As long as you keep the bamboo ends bug free, I believe Quarantine will allow you to keep it.

A.
Old 30-06-2013, 11:54   #305

Boat: wharram tiki 26

No worries there, as it is all epoxied and varnished.The bugs...? Well they would be American for sure
Old 30-06-2013, 12:23   #306

Boat: Skookum 53'

We harvested bamboo off of one of the Marquesas islands and used them for ratlines on the standing rigging, and no one ever mentioned it. Neither did we.
Old 30-06-2013, 13:52   #307

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Such vehemence for that of little consequence. Especially when most of it is heresay.
No wonder the world is as it is.
Wonder what footprint the loudest leave?
Old 30-06-2013, 14:04   #308

Boat: Skookum 53'

I went back through the OPs posts, and he seems quite rational, and reasonable. There has been a lot of speculation here based on nothing.
Old 30-06-2013, 17:34   #309

Having seen this boat, up fairly close and personal, I would agree that outwardly it appears to be of considerable concern - I would not do coastal cruising on this thing, let alone go out into the blue water where a well maintained yacht with experienced sailors just got lost. The south Pacific can be tricky IMO, even with the best of gear. I have seen quite a bit of damage on top notch boats.

I have not spoken to the local customs/immigration/biosec chap, but have heard from a marine engineer who owns one of the BOI marine engineering firms, whom has been contacted regarding this boat. His view ( I can only assume from how he was talking that he has been on it ) was that its not safe for anything other than near shore day sailing, at best. He commented that he would not sail on it at all. Reasons were many, but almost all relating back to maintenance issues. He ventured that anything resembling the conditions at the time I was discussing this with him would most likely result in at best, a lost rig.

Maritime NZ have stopped commercial vessels leaving when they have had concerns about the safety of the vessel, the CAA have most certainly stopped planes from leaving NZ when safety is of concern. No body considers this to be a bad thing other than possibly the companies which lose money due to their vessel not producing profit. Is it ok to let private vessels leave when there is a concern for the safety of the vessel, considering that should something go wrong, it will be risking the lives of the rescuers?

It matters not weather its a single, private individual or a crew of 30 commercial sailors when they require rescuing - simply put, all possible avenues will be taken to rescue someone.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:06   #310

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by puketawa View Post
It matters not weather its a single, private individual or a crew of 30 commercial sailors when they require rescuing - simply put, all possible avenues will be taken to rescue someone.
Commercial: I agree, keep them in port. It's only money and the government need to protect the sailors who can't really raise their voice to say "no".

Private: If everyone signs a waiver, let them go. It is between them and Poseidon at that point...
Old 30-06-2013, 18:13   #311

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Not sure I'd use a marine engineer to judge a boat that has no motor.

Welcome Puketawa, I've also seen the boat up close, was parked next to me for 2 days. My view is that OP had a very good handle on electricals and is a good student of the weather. The boat would be very difficult to sink, and provided his supplies were adequate he should be allowed to go when the weather window is favourable. All the talk about a difficult Tasman crossing is irrelevant if you're heading N or NW and picking your weather patterns.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:13   #312

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
Commercial: I agree, keep them in port. It's only money and the government need to protect the sailors who can't really raise their voice to say "no".

Private: If everyone signs a waiver, let them go. It is between them and Poseidon at that point...
Boy, that's a tough one. If the opinion is well founded that a person is likely to come to harm by pursuing an action, and another person has the ability to prevent the harm, isn't there a moral obligation to do so? If I see a crazy person throwing lit matches at a gas can, is the right thing to do to say it's between him and Vulcan?

I'm to the right of Attila the Hun on most issues, but this just seems like a person trying to prevent another human being from coming to harm.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:20   #313

Boat: Alberg 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Boy, that's a tough one. If the opinion is well founded that a person is likely to come to harm by pursuing an action, and another person has the ability to prevent the harm, isn't there a moral obligation to do so? If I see a crazy person throwing lit matches at a gas can, is the right thing to do to say it's between him and Vulcan?

I'm to the right of Attila the Hun on most issues, but this just seems like a person trying to prevent another human being from coming to harm.
I'm assuming a rational human capable of making their own risk calculation based on their knowledge of their boat and skills. If the idiot throwing matches has been told that it will explode and continues, then he's a Darwin Award candidate... let him see if he wins.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:21   #314
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
This is a common misconception and is so often touted as a reason for letting these people go their own way but international maritime convention requires mariners to go to the aid of a vessel in distress if they can do so without endangering themselves. Also, human nature precludes the necessity of making it a requirement as who amongst us wouldn't go to the aid of someone in distress? Admittedly not carrying an epirb would lessen the chances of knowing they were in distress but in a relatively close community such as bluewater cruisers then someone somewhere would know if they were in danger, ie, sailing on a bad forecast in a badly prepared boat(sound familiar?), overdue at a new destination etc. If you knew that someone who had signed a waiver was in peril would you sail away? If the answer is yes then you are a harder bastard than me.
Old 30-06-2013, 18:26   #315
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Not sure I'd use a marine engineer to judge a boat that has no motor.
There is a hell of a lot more to being a marine engineer than working on engines. I'm a semi retired marine engineer and deal in vessel surveys (safety compliance, insurance etc.) hull and structural work, etc. Not very often I have an engine in pieces.
Closed Thread