Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2013, 13:07   #31
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer making wild claims

The Port & Flag State law has always been in place. it is the emphasis on enforcement for recreational boats that has changed. Don't confuse with cat one regs for NZ registered boats.
Old 19-06-2013, 13:52   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
A little background information goes a long way

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...sia-40061.html

I'm not saying he can't change and learn the ways of the world, but just to help some if this make sense.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:07   #33

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Since you are a US flagged vessel, have you contacted the US embassy/consulate to tell them you are not being allowed to leave? Maybe they can help.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:22   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Goodbye New Zealand as a choice for me yachting. That link shows that only NZ yachts have to have that safety clearance certificate. Oh boy, a nanny state again!
They do this for good reason! It has nothing do due with nannies or wet nurses etc. if a vessel is in distress nearby NZ they are obligated under international treaty. This cost a small country like NZ a ton of money to rescue fools that get there foot stuck in a clay pot and crack there head on a winch or whatever. While, some of the Cat 1 stuff is a bit extreme. Anyone that has actually been thru an inspection on an otherwise well found yacht will tell you it was no issue.

One vessel " long white cloud" told me the inspector asked to see his tool kit when he came aboard and that was the end of it. This is mind you for a Bristol condition yacht one can clearly see is fit to go to sea from the quay.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:26   #35

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
They do this for good reason! It has nothing do due with nannies or wet nurses etc. if a vessel is in distress nearby NZ they are obligated under international treaty. This cost a small country like NZ a ton of money to rescue fools that get there foot stuck in a clay pot and crack there head on a winch or whatever. While, some of the Cat 1 stuff is a bit extreme. Anyone that has actually been thru an inspection on an otherwise well found yacht will tell you it was no issue.

One vessel " long white cloud" told me the inspector asked to see his tool kit when he came aboard and that was the end of it. This is mind you for a Bristol condition yacht one can clearly see is fit to go to sea from the quay.
Well, there is a thing called reciprocity. If that happened to a NZ fool who was in trouble off another country he would not be subject to this sort of crap.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:32   #36
Marine Service Provider

Again, it the cost of rescues for a small country, If the state of Florida for example had to pay for all rescues in there waters. You can just imagine the new laws that would be passed or additional fees for rego, etc. this guy clearly has some issues.

I go back to my original notion that all owners or EPIRBS should be required to buy rescue insurance. Don't want to buy the insurance, no problem, no rescue. Problem solved for NZ.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Again, it the cost of rescues for a small country, If the state of Florida for example had to pay for all rescues in there waters. You can just imagine the new laws that would be passed or additional fees for rego, etc. this guy clearly has some issues.

I go back to my original notion that all owners or EPIRBS should be required to buy rescue insurance. Don't want to buy the insurance, no problem, no rescue. Problem solved for NZ.
I guess NZ should have thought about it when they signed up to the treaty? If they are too small to reciprocate then stay out of the treaty.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:48   #38
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Wouldn't be the first time a small country has been bullied by a big country into signing a treaty that treated it unfairly.
Old 19-06-2013, 14:57   #39

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

You know.... I'd like to have a chat with the involved NZ official, and/or get the other side of this story. This whole thing - as explained so far - doesn't seem to make sense.

When we checked into NZ, then twice extended our visas, then finally cleared out we dealt with professional and courteous officials. No hassles, no untoward requests or demands, no time consuming efforts.

Mind you, even though we had to reschedule departure twice due to unforeseen circumstances, NZ customs & immigration each time came down to the dock and processed the paperwork. Their attitude? Like the Aussies say: "No worries, mate!"

A quiet plea to the gods of the sea: May all our future encounters with government officials in foreign lands be so straight forward and uncomplicated as they were in NZ.

And that's my opinion.
James
Old 19-06-2013, 15:01   #40
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

more a matter of simple logistics mate, NZ has a population of under 5 million people and a hell of a lot of Ocean to cover for SAR operations, say 10% of the worlds surface. Australia is similar with 20 million people and 10% of the earth to cover. One lost sailor can be a huge burden on resources. It makes sense to take pro active rather than reactive when it comes to safety. Yes sea going vessels in Australia and NZ are required to meet a certain safety standard and required to carry safety equipment that isn't required in all countries, PDF's, EPIRB, Radio, Flares, Charts, Fire extinguishers etc.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:02   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Wouldn't be the first time a small country has been bullied by a big country into signing a treaty that treated it unfairly.
I don't buy the "bullying" line until I see evidence. Which country bullied NZ into signing the treaty and how did they do that? I didn't think NZ were that weak that they would allow themselves to be bullied, just not my reading of them.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:04   #42

Yip, they don't have to rescue everyone everywhere either. If they signed a treaty to that effect, they should have thought it through better.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:11   #43
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Goodbye New Zealand as a choice for me yachting. That link shows that only NZ yachts have to have that safety clearance certificate. Oh boy, a nanny state again!
somehow I don't think they're going to miss you
Old 19-06-2013, 15:13   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Yip, they don't have to rescue everyone everywhere either. If they signed a treaty to that effect, they should have thought it through better.
Are you for real? THEY ARE acting responsibly by doing having a quick look at all vessels departing. If some jackass wants to take off late in the season on a boat they consider suspect, they are doing mankind a favor.

I'm sure the treaty has certain allowances for countries to use there discretion in these matters. When we departed Opua in 2006 they were kind enough to even take a photo of our boat in case it was needed for rescue purposes.

You seriously should forget about buying that boat if this is the way you're planning to approach things.
Old 19-06-2013, 15:16   #45

Boat: Trismus 37
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Boat_Alexander, you don't say where you are in NZ?? Unless your boat is an apparent complete unseaworthy wreck you have nothing to fear, As you are a foreign flag vessel you do not have to comply with Cat one as we Kiwi's have to. An immigration official has no jurisdiction over the condition of your boat.
Closed Thread