Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 23:06   #1

Boat: Westerly Sealord
New Zealand Arrival Levy

This information has just come to hand.....

I don't think the sums involved are going to change anyone's plans.

'If you are notifying Customs of your arrival in New Zealand please be advised that a Border Clearance Levy comes into effect on 1 January 2016 to pay for the cost of border clearance services.

The Levy has two parts, a NZ$18.21 arrival fee and a NZ$3.37 departure fee.

Everyone on board, except for children under 2 years of age, must pay the Levy.

You, or your delegated agent, will receive an invoice for your arrival Levy within five working days of your arrival. Full payment is required by the 20th of the following month.

On your arrival, a border agency officer will give you details of how and where to pay the Levy and can provide you with further information.

NZ Customs Service'

Ping
Old 23-12-2015, 01:25   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: New Zealand Arrival Levy

It's like dry rot __ it spreads...

Jim
Old 23-12-2015, 09:17   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

That's a very minor fee compared to almost anywhere. I'm not for more fees and taxes but there is a need for these services to keep the freeloading yachties out of the country without the proper protocol to keep their vermin out of the food chain. Seems fair to me for them to pay for the work involved rather than have the general population pay. If you want open borders with no fees just go to Mexico and come across the Rio Grande to the US in a row boat like many do. No fees no papers. The way it ought to be. And by the way, it should be legal for them to bring hand grenades, RPGs, and other weapons with them as a public service to fight against tyranny wherever it is found.

Sorry got carried away....
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 14:12   #4

Boat: Mason 53

Merry Christmas, Mates. This new fee is related to legislation that was passed earlier this year that was aimed at gathering revenue, through taxes, from our successful tourism industry. The tax was primarily aimed at people flying in and out of the country at the various airports. Looks like the yachting community you transit in and out of the country get to participate also. All the best in the New Year. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 14:33   #5

I would have thought you could make more money by letting people into NZ for free, and charging them When they want to leave.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2015, 15:24   #6

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

NZ$18.21 arrival fee? Heck, we paid more than THAT for our first two "We made it!"drinks up at the Marina tavern!

Seriously though, the Customs & Immigration guys were waiting right there at the marina dock when we pulled into Tauranga. They even offered to help with the dock lines! Nice guys. Professional, quick and easy entry.

Yeah - IMHO, that seems a fair and reasonable fee-for-services charge.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:18   #7

As Compared to the Bahamas:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.
a) For boats up to 30', the fee is $150.00
b) For boats over 30', the fee is $300.00
Fees Subject To Change

The fees will cover:
1) Cruising Permit
2) Fishing Permit
3) Departure Tax for up to three (3) persons. Each additional person above three will be charged a $25 departure tax. This fee is good for a second re-entry within a 90-day period.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 10:43   #8

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
That's a very minor fee compared to almost anywhere. I'm not for more fees and taxes but there is a need for these services to keep the freeloading yachties out of the country without the proper protocol to keep their vermin out of the food chain.
Just one more reason I have always avoided New Zealand while sailing. I fully understand it may be beautiful, but it may have more regulation per capita than any place with a coastline one might want to otherwise visit. One wonders if raising sheep is a reflection of a desire to closely control others.
Old 24-12-2015, 11:13   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Just one more reason I have always avoided New Zealand while sailing. I fully understand it may be beautiful, but it may have more regulation per capita than any place with a coastline one might want to otherwise visit. One wonders if raising sheep is a reflection of a desire to closely control others.
I posted the original simply as a matter of record...nada mas.

You want regulations? Try Chile or Argentina...or Straya

Unzud is as laid back as you can get.... check in .. do what you want for two years without let or hindrance..check out.

I certaintly don't mind if small island states like Tonga and NZ levy fees...they need all the financial help from developed countries that they can get....

Feliz Navidad
Ping
Old 24-12-2015, 12:20   #10

Quote:
That's a very minor fee compared to almost anywhere. I'm not for more fees and taxes but there is a need for these services to keep the freeloading yachties out of the country without the proper protocol to keep their vermin out of the food chain. Seems fair to me for them to pay for the work involved rather than have the general population pay. If you want open borders with no fees just go to Mexico and come across the Rio Grande to the US in a row boat like many do. No fees no papers. The way it ought to be. And by the way, it should be legal for them to bring hand grenades, RPGs, and other weapons with them as a public service to fight against tyranny wherever it is found.

I doubt that anyone has any need to bring in guns to a country which is the biggest arms supplier on the planet
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:38   #11

Quote:

And, whilst on the subject,since when have yachtsmen cost the taxpayer a penny ?
We arrive,we spend money in said country.
I,for one,am sick of listening to apologists for yet more taxes for bankrupt governments

Sorry,got carried away
Old 24-12-2015, 13:10   #12

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Your right Mr Cate, New Zealand should be strung up, quartered and then Everdured before this exhorbitance spreads.
PM me sir with your bank details and, despite being the poorest poster on CF, i will deposit TWENTY Unzud fees into your bank a/c poste haste.
Poor man.
You make it hard to love you son.
Churrs.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 13:40   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Hi,
Buzzstar and Bustermaw, It sounds like you have never been to NZ. First NZ is probably one of the least regulated areas to cruise. And second yes the tax payers in NZ do provide search and rescue and Coast Guard, of which the cost is covered
by taxpayers. Maybe you should actually go there and see what you are missing.
Merry Christmas
watevaworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 13:40   #14

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

It is new(s) to me that NZ is the biggest arms supplier.
I like the old romantic idea of sailing the Pacific, visiting unexplored islands and having adventures with Hawaiian music in the background.
I prefer to be free earth traveler with no International boarders. Dream on Timmy.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 13:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawtty View Post
It is new(s) to me that NZ is the biggest arms supplier.
I like the old romantic idea of sailing the Pacific, visiting unexplored islands and having adventures with Hawaiian music in the background.
I prefer to be free earth traveler with no International boarders. Dream on Timmy.
Dear sir ,please read the blog from ex maggie drum before replying.
It comes under putting ones brain into gear before opening ones mouth.
But, yes,I am an old man who has sailed a lot and do find bureaucracy more and more intolerant and trying.
New Zealand in the sixties was wonderful.I have no knowledge of it now,but , assume that it's like the rest of the world,overtaken by poor little men with safety in mind .

Tags
New Zealand