Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 11:08   #1

Boat: Westwind 38, 1985
New HIN numbers in Washington St.

The Coast Guard is requiring that all Him numbers conform to Federal Standards. I now have a new Hull Identification number for my sailboat.

Question: How do I mark my boat with the new number? Where is the best place to put it and should I keep my old number on the boat as well.
I noticed that on the now title in still records my old number in a notation below the formal document.
My old Number is attached to the base of the mast in the head. It is carved into a nice piece of wood.
Thanks,
Yankee 30 MKIII
Rconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:21   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: New HIN numbers in Washington St.

You don't. You have a hull number issued by the manufacturer. Unless the mfg is going to give you a new compliant hull number, you're fabricating the number. That's probably illegal too.

So don't do anything.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:53   #3

Boat: Westwind 38, 1985

This is what the State of Washington says:

Vessel owners given a new HIN must permanently affix it to the vessel. It is recommended that the original HIN not be removed or covered up, but that the new assigned HIN be applied adjacent to the original one. You must use methods (such as decals, engraved plates, embossing) that permanently affix the new HIN to a vessel.
Contact DOL Customer Service Center at (360) 902-3770 or by email at CustomerCare@dol.wa.gov. Local licensing offices can also answer your questions.

so yes you must at least post the new one near the old. So I guess I just answered the question. What method would you use? Wood, metal plate?
Rconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 13:52   #4

Normally the number carved into wood near the mast is the federal documentation number, not the HIN. The regulations call for the HIN to be placed on the transom, upper stb corner. There are different placement rules for a double-ender. It seems there might be a mix up with the two very different numbers. If you are missing the actual HIN (Hull identification number) the coast guard will tell you to go to your state motor vehicle dept. I went through this recently and it wasnt too hard. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 14:17   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You must use methods (such as decals... that permanently affix the new HIN to a vessel."

Ergh, no. The courts would have fun with that one, since decals are by definition easily applied and easily removed. Whether it is a classic "water slip decal" applied to a plastic model airplane, or the badges (often called decals) that are stuck onto cars with adhesives, that body shops replace every day.

But a shallow web search of the USCG, of the CFR, of Regulations.gov, doesn't show anything on this topic of new HINs.

Anyone have a direct citation for what exactly the USCG is looking for now? The only thing I found was a reference to asking for a change in teh way model year was indicated, but that wouldn't affect existing HINs.

I know one supervisor who decided a 25+ year old boat had an
impossible wrong HIN on it, and that the correct one would be needed o the new registration. Gee, should we bring the boat into the office? Oh no, a picture of it would be fine. (Hello Photoshop, give the man whatever he wants.) Sigh.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:06   #6

Boat: J/42

FWIW, I had to go through that with an old camp trailer that I took to Washington temporarily. I had to take it to a Port of Entry super-coop, where a state trooper issued a new VIN on the spot, stamped it onto an aluminum tag, and riveted it to the tongue.
Just happened to be looking at it a couple of days ago (trailer now for sale). The stamped number is readable, but all the official State of Washington markings have worn completely away.

So, short answer, I guess Washington considers rivets to be "permanently attached." I seem to recall that the Coast Guard prefers things spelled out in welded bead, but that might be a little tough on a plastic boat...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:27   #7

What in the world will these bureaucrats think of next... Idiots...
"recommended that the original HIN not be removed or covered up, but that the new assigned HIN be applied adjacent to the original one."
Okay, that's a recommendation. Just ignore it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing, Washington