Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:37   #1

Boat: '78 Morgan OI 41
need info about American sailboat cruising in Brazil

Has anyone had experience cruising in Brazil on a US documented sailboat?
What are the procedures on arrival? We are getting conflicting
information about obtaining visas.
captainkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:10   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: need info about American sailboat cruising in Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkai View Post
Has anyone had experience cruising in Brazil on a US documented sailboat?
What are the procedures on arrival? We are getting conflicting
information about obtaining visas.
I have sailed into Brazil on a US-flagged boat last year. Key issue is that US-flagged boats (and any boats flagged in a country that is not a member of Mercosul) are not eligible for the Mercosul customs/immigration preferential treatment. This does not seem much until you realize that there are very few boats from outside Mercosul that go to Brazil, hence it may be difficult to find bureaucrats who know what to do with you if you go to out-of-the-way places.

Start by not let people led you to confusion between the rules about the boat (which are customs rules enforced by Receita Federal and also some rules enforced by Capitanias do Porto) with the rules about the people (which are about customs and immigration, but the concern is mainly immigration managed by the Policia Federal).

If you tell me what are the conflicting bits of info on visas and the basics of your plans (how long, where, what are you going to do, etc) I will be happy to find out. If you send me a pm I can pass on my US phone number..

Cheers

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 14:31   #3

Boat: '78 Morgan OI 41

We are not a commercial, nor a South American vessel, and therefore are not eligible to be affiliated with MERCOSUL. We are a privately owned US sailing yacht.
We are just wondering about the protocol and other people's experience with Policia Federal and Receita Federal giving a tourist visa and other documents to cruise the Brazilian coastline when registering with the first marine port.
captainkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 15:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as far as i know americans need to get a brazilian visa BEFORE arriving in brazil,ie in south africa or wherever you are departing from as tourist visas are only issued on arrival for people from countries who's governments have similar relaxed visa rules.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 15:22   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkai View Post
.We are just wondering about the protocol and other people's experience with Policia Federal and Receita Federal giving a tourist visa and other documents to cruise the Brazilian coastline when registering with the first marine port.
captankai
If you want to enter Brazil with a US passport then you need a visa. Brazil does not issue visas at the point of entry; if your nationality and/or type of trip calls for a visa then you need to get a visa at a consulate outside Brazil before you get there, not at the Receita Federal or Policia Federal inside Brazil once you get there. All this is independent of your means of transport, you can be on foot, riding a donkey or sailing a boat.

Many rules are bent in Brazil but not this one. If you do not have a visa they will give you a few hours to leave (been there with my American daughter!) and after that they will deport you if you have not left.

For tourism the type of visa you want is called VITUR; see requirements and details at the website of the Brazilian consulate with jurisdiction in your place of residence. See for example Tourist

Cheers
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Brazil, cruising, sailboat