Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2019, 10:51   #16

Boat: C&C 35 Mark 2
Re: Need help on 1974 C&C 35 HIN format

Hid is ccy352161073 but all the paperwork reads hid 35021674 because it's a documented vessel. My broker register the boat with the documented vessel number instead of the real transom hid... The boat is still a documented vessel but the old owner is dead so I'm trying to figure out how to transfer the u.s. coast guard document number to my name.
Hazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 11:08   #17

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

The 35021674 is not a USCG document vessel number, they at 6 or 7 digits.

Here is the link, maybe you can find it by name.

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/coast-g...l-search/index
Old 23-05-2019, 11:13   #18

How did I end up with two different Hull ID numbers... When I look up the boat on the uscg documented vessel search it reads 35021674 ... different from what's on the transom
Old 23-05-2019, 11:18   #19

The primary vessel number is 558790
Old 23-05-2019, 11:18   #20

The HIN is assigned by the boat manufacturer. The Vessel Documentation number is assigned by USGC Vessel Documention Center. Once you vessel is USCG documentated, the HIN is only used for state registration long with the documented number.

Enter 558502 in the link I provided can you see what our boat looks like.
Old 23-05-2019, 13:33   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Hid is ccy352161073 but all the paperwork reads hid 35021674 because it's a documented vessel."
You've been misinformed. The HIN is what it is, it never changes, irregardless of state or federal agencies. If the HIN on the boat was xx73 and someone, somehow, gave that incorrectly to the USCG and made it xx74, then you've got a problem. That error has to be corrected. You'd want to contact the Vessel Documentation Center (they're pros and they answer the phones, too) to ask them what the procedure is.
At the same time, ask them about your bigger problem. The previous owner is deceased. The boat is titled property. Which means a legal title holder has to sign it away and transfer it to you--and he's deceased.
I suspect the only way to get proper legal title to that boat, is to have the boat title transferred to whoever was in his will, or to have the adminstrator of his estate handle the transfer. Titled property can't just be bought and sold--there are always specific requirements as to who must sign away the transfer. In this case, the previous owner's estate if the boat was not left to anyone specific. That may require an original (stamped) copy of the certificate of death, a copy of the will, or other paperwork that is going to need to be followed very specifically.
Right now, you've got possession of a boat--but you don't own it. And you won't really own it until those children, or that estate, completes a proper transfer. If the PO didn't leave a will, the estate may be required to go into probate, and the boat may not even be their's to sell, so easily.
Find out specifically what the VDC requires, for the number correction AND the actual title transfer. "Houston, we have a problem."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 13:58   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I also had an ownership problem...coincidentally with a 1972 C&C27. Canadian boat, registered vessel, and I'm in Canada. Apparently, the boat was registered to the original buyer, and a blue book was issued. 25 years and 3 owners later, I buy the boat. The blue book is long gone. When I contact the registrar of ships (in Toronto), they tell me the boat is still in the name of the original owner...no one had ever made a transfer of ownership. To make matters worse, there was a lien against the boat by a Toronto Bank. And of course the branch holding the lien no longer exists.

The good news is that the registrar of ships was very helpful. The main branch of the bank was able to track down the loan file...and it contained the lien release, all complete, in a stamped envelope...but had never been mailed. Sat there for 20 some odd years. Anyway, the registrar of ships issued me a new blue book in my name. Yes, I had some serious stress over this, and there were more than a few long distance calls (back when long distance calling was a thing). But it all worked out in the end.

A quick lookup using the online registry lookup tool tells me that my old boat is still registered in Kingston (my port of registry, although the boat went to Quebec 20 years ago), and the owner "edited" (I assume that means new owner) in 2018. There is NO ZCC or hull number listed (blank field), only the OFFICIAL NUMBER.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 20:20   #23

I just ran into a red tape wall with my boat. I wanted to charter my 1973/74 C&C 35 mark 2. I have my license and passed my state inspection but being not the most experienced guy with Marine buraocracy I was nieve to the fact that my gross tonage meant that I had to document the boat. When I bought the boat from a dead guys estate he was carrying a uscg documentation. Our broker asked if we wanted to document the boat which was expensive or just State register it. We chose to state register it. Now we are creeping up on high season for tourism and the boat is close to ready. I start looking back at documenting the boat because during my reading I see that at 5 tons and a passenger vessel it has to be documented. The nail in the coffin is that the boat also has to be made in the USA or has to go through a lengthy process of getting a waiver. My heart sunk... My only hope would be that by some miracle though a slim chance my 1974 was built At the Rhode Island plant. My Hull ID is CCY352161073. Does anyone know if ccy was only used at Rhode island. I did read the plant didn't formerly open until 1976 but hopefully they were working there prior... I know long shot. Can anyone put some wind back in my sails.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:46   #24

I have a title and a bill of sale from a broker. The bank and broker also checked for liens... The broker was empowered by the estate to sell the boat for the children who lived out west. But my Hull ID numbers is still an issue. My transom reads ccy352161073 and all my paperwork and the documentation at the uscg read 35021674 no ccy it really is a pain in my ass... Many other problems with chartering too it's a foreign made boat ... Should have bought a Catalina.
Old 14-06-2019, 20:53   #25

Boat: Outremer 50S

How many people are you planning to put on a 35' boat? If 6 or fewer passengers (6-pack) then you can run under the UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) rules. In that case you must be documented if over 5 gross tons, but the US-built requirement does not apply. If you have the required MMC (merchant mariner credential) then you should already be familiar with those rules. If you want to carry more than 6, well then, doesn't look good.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 05:30   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
How many people are you planning to put on a 35' boat? If 6 or fewer passengers (6-pack) then you can run under the UPV (uninspected passenger vessel) rules. In that case you must be documented if over 5 gross tons, but the US-built requirement does not apply. If you have the required MMC (merchant mariner credential) then you should already be familiar with those rules. If you want to carry more than 6, well then, doesn't look good.

Even if my vessel is over 5 gross tons? My understanding from reading the documents is that at 5gt I have to be documented with a coastwise trade endorsement which I understand my boat should have no trouble getting other than it's expense and 3 month timeline.
Old 15-06-2019, 05:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazer View Post
Even if my vessel is over 5 gross tons? My understanding from reading the documents is that at 5gt I have to be documented with a coastwise trade endorsement which I understand my boat should have no trouble getting other than it's expense and 3 month timeline.
Vessel Documentation and Registration (46 CFR 67)
All motorized vessels operated in waters under federal jurisdiction are required to be
either registered or documented (This includes ocean waters, rivers, and some large
lakes in Alaska). If your vessel measures more than 5 NET TONS, and you carry
passengers for hire, it must be "documented" by the Coast Guard for use other than
pleasure (either coastwise and/or registry). It must also have a Certificate of
Documentation (COD) on board bearing a valid endorsement for the activity in which it is
engaged. A certificate/registration is valid for 3 years.
Old 15-06-2019, 09:06   #28

If you vessel was previously documented, you can try the return to documentation approval. Our C&C was documented but elapsed and hadn't been active for 8 years. We just did the "exchange" to update the owners.

In your case, if you have reasonable chain of ownership and history of documentation, you can add a letter to the exchange process describing the error of only have a number portion of the HIN and ask to have it corrected. Send a rubbing, they seem like that.

the form is here: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-567
Old 15-06-2019, 11:37   #29

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazer View Post
This used to be automatic, now you have to spend money and get a waiver (and there is a chance that a waiver will not be granted based on location, call first to discuss your location).

https://www.maritime.dot.gov/ports/d...waiver-program
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 16:52   #30

One more question, did you formally delete your boat from documentation?