Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
National Boaters Rights Federation

FWIW
Lifted from the “Greg’s Pub - Cruisers Forum” at Lats & Atts:
http://206.131.241.61/ubb/ultimatebb...c&f=1&t=009844

<quote>
National Boaters Rights Federation:
Hello friends and fellow boaters. The NBRF is forming chapters across the country. YOUR HELP IS NEEDED. We Need you to help us build a membership which will come together as the voice of the boating community nation wide.
Right now as you are reading this groups of people are meeting and planing the future of the boaters in your area. The groups that are meeting are money hungry real-estate investment groups. The plan is to own all the water front property in the whole USA and our neighbors Central and South America and the Caribbean. This is happening in your little coastal town right now. Once this plan is put into affect you will be blocked from access to the waters that you now enjoy with your friends and family. This is happening right now, time is not on our side.
WE the boating community must act now and have a strong and powerful organization that will look out for all (Boaters rights) across the country and hopefully world wide as we grow. ACT NOW JOIN.
Registration is free at this time, membership dues will be applied as soon as the law will allow.
Your information will never be given up to any person or organization for any reason at any time. Your privacy is protected as will be your Freedom to Boat where and when you want.
To apply for membership please send your name and address phone number and e-mail address to NBRF PO# 501844 Marathon Florida 33050

WE are few they are many Please Join Now
please send questions to libertywhispers@yahoo.com

Posted by “Wind And Waves”
<end quote>

And the follow-up, regarding future dues:

<partial quote>
Right now it looks like the dues would be $25.00 single. And a couple would be $40.00 per year. Corporate would be in the $150.00 range and Life time would be around $400.00. The structure will be similar to ABATE which is a non profit Motorcycle Rights Organization. But right now as a charter org no dues just your good ideas and a strong desire to have your rights intact. When the corporation is complete and by laws are set we will be glad to send you a copy so you can make the right decision ...
Posted by “Wind And Waves”
<end quotes>

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 20:09   #2
Kai Nui

Thanks GORD. I have emailed them, and hopefully this will come together with what is happening here with the Coasties.

Old 17-10-2005, 21:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I'm sorry but it really is about the money. Organizatons like this may in fact be pointless because they have no local power over local politics. Do you think the local people standing to make millions give a hoot abpout a bunch of stupid sailors with nothing?

Due to a lot of bad weather this weekend I got stuck this in a place here in the USA. The town of Cape Charles, Virginia at the mouth of the Chesapeake on the far eastern shore of Virginia is basically all for sale. Almost 60% of all property has a for sale sign on the property. Many places have been sold to the first round speculators and now are on 2nd round of specualtors. Original owners got screwed and now everyone still thinks they will get rich.

As an economic comminty the place is worthless. It's only claim to fame was the terminius of the railroad back in the 1880's and the point from which they built he Chesapeake bridge tunnel system that spans the mouth of the bay. Other than that there are more things for sale than not for sale. There are no jobs and little as an econimic base. This is in the USA so it's an easy target bur nothing campared to the world off shore.

It is a nice place on the Chesapeake. Fantastic sunsets not afforded in any place on the western shore where there are more populations. Having had a chance to meet many of the people I like them a lot but they don't see it coming. As a deer blinded by head lights they rush to get rich too. The first round of speculators skimmed off most of the really cheap property and made a lot of money already. If the whole investment tanks the first round guys already have been paid big money. Locals were all screwed and the last of the suckers take the hit. This is how the game works. This is a game perfect over hundreds of years.

The suckers don't quit. Everyone can all be rich in real estate and and it's a disease that can never be cured. The concept of a "Boater Rights" organization I really feel is an insult to the real people that get hurt and the real problem. Sometimes anything is not better than nothing. The least you can do is still the least you can do.

Boaters have no rights. It really is about the money.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 21:36   #4
Kai Nui

PBlais,
I do not disagree. THe almighty buck has far too much power in this world. And yes, these people are probably of the same ilk, but, they are some familiar names to me from years past, being involved as I was in the helmet law battles of the 80's and 90's.
Money does listen to money, so if these people are financially motivated, they might actually get somewhere. Either way, I am curious to talk with them. I would like to see how broad the scope of their mission is. If it is strictly about property access, then good luck to them, and I am on my way. If they are truly about Boaters rights, well, then we have something to talk about.
Nothing to lose by listening, but always listen with both eyes open.
Old 17-10-2005, 22:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
I would like to see where this guy "Liberty Whispers" got his/her info and who put it out, and why, before I would make any commitment to giving away any funds.
............................._/)
Old 17-10-2005, 22:56   #6
Kai Nui

Notice in the info it says dues "will" be... etc. My feeling is that the more of these PAC groups that can share resources, the more power we have as boaters. Even if it's for a cause that we are not affected by personally, it connects us to the bigger issues.
I know from my own experiences that if the politicians decide how we will run our lives, all the public opinion in the world won't stop them, but if they can be stopped before they make the decision, it is worth the effort.
Old 18-10-2005, 13:19   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
PBlais,
I'm sorry to say that I'm in complete agreement with you ... but I would like to point out one little ray of hope. As of July 20th, Monroe county, Florida ( the Keys) put a complete moratorium on the conversion of public slips to private ones. This is to last through the end of the year, in the meantime, they are studying the situation and trying to come up with a plan that will satisfy both local boaters and the dreaded "developers". It will be very interesting to see what they come up with.
Locally (Lee county) has made NO effort to come up with any plan of any kind ... and to that end, yet another marina has expelled all liveaboards. I mention this because many of the people that live there, no longer have ANY options ... other than selling the boat or moving it out of this area all together. There simply are NO more live aboard slips available in this area.
Florida is supposed to be the "boating capital" of the country ... but has become decidedly boater unfriendly ... as you said, after all ... it is about the money.

Bob & Lynn

L S/V Sew Good
Old 18-10-2005, 14:43   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Bob and Lynn,

The real problem is it's not about boat slips it's about water view residential. If a 4000 sq ft home on the Chesapeake in Cape Charles can sell for $1 million dollars then in FL that is at least 2 - 3 Million for one home lot.

Boat slips are the tail on the dog. Most of the people that are in the game don't have a boat or don't care as they own a piece of the action.

Around here three marina's are for sale one is almost in the tank and another is hanging on. It's the real estate not the marina. Sure it's nice to have a few sailboats in the marina for pictures and the view but it's about the land with a view. New England faces the same problem but worse big time.

Marinas are worth more money as condos than as boat slips and water front property is hell bent to go higher and higher.

The method to stop this madness is not so simple. It is local governements controlling the zoning NOT any one else. Sorry I was a zoning administartor for a while and this is a local matter. You have to fight each battle one locality at a time.

For a real estate developer you blow some smoke up a few skirts and they always bite. The millions will jade the locals faster than a deer in your headlights. It just works.

Greed is a stonger emotion than propriety, fairness, or moral virtue all combined. This is a very old game started in the 1500's and the players are keen on the prize.

There are enough people that really think it is OK to screw a bunch of locall morons to make a buck. The tale they tell makes it a sure thing. They don;t need to complete the project to make a lot of money either. Seriously, if I show you a way to make 6 to 10 times your money in a short period all legal (really legal) how many would bite.

I like Cape Charles, VA as an example as it's one developer surrounding the whole town taking over with lots of rich out of town folks coming in with big money. These guys are actually honest, and they build nice stuff and they have built a nice marina that is reasonable and world class ou of nothing. But it's impact reach many miles beyond the town and real estate prices are screwed up bad. Most of the locals don';t have much income because there are no jobs that really pay well. The Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel has a toll of $13 each way and for folks spending the big money it means nothing. It is a great barrier to folks who have trouble making a living.

This problem takes real grass roots local action. Anything else is a joke. Local people have controls to stop this but they have to do it for themselves for the right reasons with the right tools they already have. But when too many people see gold they won't kill the golden goose that will make them rich.

I'm not a negative person here I really would like to see it solved but I think this proposal is a direct 180 of what it really takes. Just as the fools rush in to get rich and in the end get suckered themselves this is the same thing in reverse.

I still stand. Boaters have no rights! It really is about the money!
National Boaters Rights Federation seems like a punch line to a joke to me. I am very unimpressed. Save your money. Go someplace and help someone that really needs it. Don't pretend a small donation makes qa difference. Otherwise send me $100 I'll make you feel better (but I'll keep the money).

I am very sad for the far away corners of the world still as we all would like to see them some day.

Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: