Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 16:42   #16

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Mike - in English it's spelled "presumptuous"; I fail to see how your version is cleaner. As for the perfected accent, of which of the several 'Merican accents do you refer?

Kevin
Kevin,

I believe it was Andrew Jackson who said "It's a poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word", but I remain busted. As to which 'Mercan' accent I refer, I suppose it doesn't really matter as they are all equally sonorous. If I may be so presumptuous (see, I'm teachable!) I might even include Canadian as they are so similar, although you guys are a little free with your 'u's (harbour?)

Best regards,
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 16:52   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I've lived in Japan, Malaysia, The Phillippines, Singapore, Thailand and the US.

I can order beer in Japanese, Bahasa Malaysia, Tagalog, and Thai, Mandarin and perhaps English - that's about all you need really.

Seriously though. I have learned Tagalog and Japanese well but to be honest unless used daily it goes away for me. Some people have an affinity for languages, I have to study.

For cruising in SEA I would learn Bahasa Malaysia or Bahasa Indonesia. No matter where you land you should learn a few phrases. A few words goes a long way towards breaking the ice.

On a circumnavigation I'd agree with Gord and go with Spanish and French.

The reality is that English is the common language. We have a very international club and the Dutch communicate with the Japanese in English. The Latinos communicate with the Chinese in English. The Americans communicate with teh Brits in English. The French just sit around looking disgusted - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:24   #18

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The French just sit around looking disgusted - LOL...
So true

These days the electronic translators are wonderful. I have one that does Vietnamese, Mandarin, Thai, french, German and others. I speak quite a lot of Vietnamese but my pronunciation is bad and most people can not understand me untill they get used to my flat pronunciation style. The electronic book fixed that though.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 21:39   #19

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Whimsical
I was just looking at getting one of those. I hadn't tried one and was wondering how good it was. What make and model do you recommend. I was looking at one the size of a calculator, said it could voice translate 22 languages. About $300
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26   #20

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I have had 2 of them, the first was dropped on the road and about 4 million scooters run over it before it could be rescued. Can't remember the brand but its Vietnamese speak was very good, English so so, French not bad and chinese is just garbled gobeldy gook to me. The current one while having a better vocabulary is not as good at pronunciation. I bought them is Saigon and they just have some strange word for a brand. The ex has the new one now, I think it is called a diamond. Vietnamese versions are impossible to find outside Vietnam.
I think it would be wise to see it in person before buying as I have heard some shockers. I did listen to one that the european languages were good but it didn't have Viet so I didn't bother, cant be sure of the brand but I think it was a Franklin

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote