Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 14:10   #31

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Monroe wants to close Upper Keys Dock to Dingys

...and here I thought that ALL boaters were self-made millionaires...after all Monroe county subsidizes much of Florida's coffers... <going to duck fast...QUACK!>

Mauritz
Someday I should get serious, don't you think?
Old 26-08-2013, 15:29   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
How does a country that is approaching an 18 trillion dollar debt, spending 85 billion a month in stimulus spending(Bernanke), borrowing voraciously from China, printing money at breakneck speed which further devalues the dollar and increases inflation pay for your generous humanity? And, did you know our 40th president of the US name was Reagan, not Regan? And did you know that "trickle down" has nothing to do with government funding but rather the concept that as people at the top make more money there is a historic and recordable "trickle down effect" that stimulates job growth, investment and consumer spending for lower income groups that want to work and participate in the system? Your response is truly "voodoo economics" of the most absurd reasoning based in emotion and lacking any conceivable economic viability. SVDestiny is exactly correct in his assessments about the homeless "bums" and they are based upon first hand experience, logic and reason-- concepts the America Haters and professional whiners just don't get. We can't help everyone in the world. We can't even help everyone in our country. But we can try to help those who want to participate in the system and try to help themselves. There's not a bum in any homeless encampment I've ever seen that didn't want to be there. It's their choice because even as broke as we've become in our soon to be bankrupt Utopian Society of compassion for the downtrodden(ie; those that don't or won't work but prefer to be wards of the State at the taxpayer's expense) there is real help if they want it. As a postscript, I have one last comment: those who are successful should not be punished for being so. It is not American, It is not our History, but rather the history of the failed Communist societies in Russia and Red China. The successful citizens of our country have not created poverty, homelessness, the welfare state,welfare cheats, illegal immigration, unconscionable Black on Black murder rates, the decay of our inner cities, the failure of our public education system, the loss of jobs,and our fragile failing economy--that was created by an ineffective and corrupt government who failed the American people by unconscionable spending, government over regulation and an unfair tax system that dictates a small group of Makers pays for the growing, unstoppable hordes of Takers. No decent human being lacks compassion. However, the Utopian concept of Sir Thomas More has come to represent the naivete of humanity rather than the common sense of reality.
Old 26-08-2013, 17:38   #33

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Your refrain sounds just like the drivel my friend the multi-millionaire espouses every day. Not worthy of a response.
Hey there Mr. Wrong--- my post was not drivel. Appears you failed the debate classes if you got that far. But again, your name is WRONG, maybe it should be WRONG AGAIN
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Regan and his ilk defunded the hospitals and threw them out on the streets. More trickle down nonsense.

Easy answers? Fund the hospitals.
A quick answer and like most quick answers, it lacks substance. The movement to close hospitals was driven by the desire to stop involuntary commitments inspired by special interest groups. Check the history on this topic.
Old 26-08-2013, 17:48   #35

Quote:
How does a country that is approaching an 18 trillion dollar debt, spending 85 billion a month in stimulus spending(Bernanke), borrowing voraciously from China, printing money at breakneck speed which further devalues the dollar and increases inflation pay for your generous humanity? And, did you know our 40th president of the US name was Reagan, not Regan? And did you know that "trickle down" has nothing to do with government funding but rather the concept that as people at the top make more money there is a historic and recordable "trickle down effect" that stimulates job growth, investment and consumer spending for lower income groups that want to work and participate in the system? Your response is truly "voodoo economics" of the most absurd reasoning based in emotion and lacking any conceivable economic viability. SVDestiny is exactly correct in his assessments about the homeless "bums" and they are based upon first hand experience, logic and reason-- concepts the America Haters and professional whiners just don't get. We can't help everyone in the world. We can't even help everyone in our country. But we can try to help those who want to participate in the system and try to help themselves. There's not a bum in any homeless encampment I've ever seen that didn't want to be there. It's their choice because even as broke as we've become in our soon to be bankrupt Utopian Society of compassion for the downtrodden(ie; those that don't or won't work but prefer to be wards of the State at the taxpayer's expense) there is real help if they want it. As a postscript, I have one last comment: those who are successful should not be punished for being so. It is not American, It is not our History, but rather the history of the failed Communist societies in Russia and Red China. The successful citizens of our country have not created poverty, homelessness, the welfare state,welfare cheats, illegal immigration, unconscionable Black on Black murder rates, the decay of our inner cities, the failure of our public education system, the loss of jobs,and our fragile failing economy--that was created by an ineffective and corrupt government who failed the American people by unconscionable spending, government over regulation and an unfair tax system that dictates a small group of Makers pays for the growing, unstoppable hordes of Takers. No decent human being lacks compassion. However, the Utopian concept of Sir Thomas More has come to represent the naivete of humanity rather than the common sense of reality.

Well stated! Our silly president believes the nation can borrow its way to prosperity.

The panic will come when the service cost on our debt is no longer affordable. Too many crave a free lunch with benefits ignoring that we need to borrow over 40c on every dollar spent. What a way to run the country!
Old 26-08-2013, 17:57   #36

Quote:
How does a country that is approaching an 18 trillion dollar debt, spending 85 billion a month in stimulus spending(Bernanke), borrowing voraciously from China, printing money at breakneck speed which further devalues the dollar and increases inflation pay for your generous humanity? And did you know that "trickle down" has nothing to do with government funding but rather the concept that as people at the top make more money there is a historic and recordable "trickle down effect" that stimulates job growth, investment and consumer spending for lower income groups that want to work and participate in the system?

As a postscript, I have one last comment: those who are successful should not be punished for being so.
In no particular order:
- trickle-down is a plutocrat bedtime story. The last round of rising economic tides lifted only the richest boats, and many smaller boats were left high and dry, where they remain. While the rich float higher, and higher...
- where were you when the financial sector was deregulated, leading to the meltdown which necessitated the bailouts and stimulus? How about the $1T spent on poorly-conceived invasions and over-long foreign occupations?
- as Obama said during the last campaign - everyone stands on someone elses' shoulders. If America is your home and gave you the opportunity to be wealthy, and you succeeded, pay your damn taxes and smile. Particularly if you got wealthy by essentially robbing fellow Americans of jobs or retirement savings.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 18:09   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I must be missing that whole utopia thingy. Some folks are unemployed simply because they are too old. I had no idea that at 55, I was going to find myself on the streets. I had worked for 32 years, always able to find a job before the great recession. Even in 2009 I found a job when the company I was working for got real slow. Took all of one resume sent out. It was good, but I was a new hire. So a year and a half later, I was out the door.

Now a days I'm either over qualified or most of the time " not a good fit" which is code for "over 50". I'll be 58 in a few more months and I've pretty much given up finding another "real" job. With so many folks in their 20's and 30's available, people over 50 need not apply. My new goal in life, is to make it to 62-1/2 and retire, if SS exists by then.

Now a days I do odd jobs to make ends meet. A little boat electrics, a little plumbing and general cleaning. Lucky for me I was already living on a boat for years before I was laid off. That's the only reason I'm not on the streets now.

Ah Utopia, I guess that means living on less then $5000 a year. Might want to try it some time and see how enlightening it is. You know no one ever chooses to be homeless or would choose to be homeless if there was a choice. But bad things happens.

Yes there are still about 11 million people out of work, but they are no longer counted as part of the work force as your dropped from the roles after unemployment runs out. I know people who have lost everything. Most would kill for a job.

I see couples going through trash looking for cans and bottles to recycle for cash that they put in bags hauled around on bicycles. That's the reality of the Utopia your talking about.

Yes there are a lot of folks living in utopia, but its not at all what you think it is.

Yes there is food stamps and welfare But welfare is pretty much only if you have children. Food stamps, Ah there is a luxury. Try living on $160 a month for food. No wonder so many folks run out after two weeks. Thats the Utopia your talking about.

Yes the answer is just get a job, any job. Well look around in the stores and fast food places and see how many over 50 folks or over 40 for that matter are employed there. Not so many it turns out. As to you just need more training. Good lord I was training the young engineers out of collage... That's not the problem.

The problem is 30 years of Reagan deregulation, and jobs shipped overseas by corporations/corporate raiders. The jobs just are not here. There has not been any real job growth since about 2000.

Sorry I might be just a tiny bit sensitive about the whole utopia thingy. On the plus side I live most of the time on the hook. At least its not boring...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 18:29   #38

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hugs SailorChic! Hang in there, kid, and don't give up! That resume of yours; make sure it passes a grammatical check as employers get a hint of what you know based upon what you write. I have been in your shoes so many times, but somehow I always managed to dust myself off and ride on a new horse...errr...in a float-plane; perseverance pays. Home Depot and the likes are hiring the middle aged folks and are paying them a working wage with benefits; check them out! Good luck!

Mauritz
Read "Walden II"...all about Utopia, that does not exists...and saw "Lost Horizon".
Old 26-08-2013, 18:41   #39

Chic--- benefits have costs. Here in Massachusetts the cost for a welfare recipient was posted just last week at over $40K. That include housing, food stamps, medical benefits & subsistence checks. There are reports all over the place such as

Study: welfare pays more than work in most states | The Daily Caller

Work or Welfare: What Pays More? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

As to job searches-- I was laid off at 60 when DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) was in its death grips. I could not even get an interview although I maintained my circuit design engineering skills (BSEE) as a manager. Things were tough but I did survive. I have a business partner and we own (almost paid for) 19 apartment units. They are located in a distressed area and were purchased at very low cost. But nothing is free. It took sweat equity along with my 401K and pension benefits plus a business partner to reconstruct the old apartment buildings, bring them to current code along with making them lead free.

I do not imply by any stage of imagination that this country has solved the unemployment problems. But it is not all gloom and doom.
Old 26-08-2013, 19:09   #40

Chic--

You are fortunate to have a PE license!!!! Today, minimum qualifications require a BS degree and there is a move to upgrade the degree requirement to the Master's level.

Have you tried leveraging your license??? There must be demands for those with a PE now that just about everything in construction requires them. Give that some thought.

Foggy
Old 26-08-2013, 19:10   #41

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Sailor chick do you want to come to Key Largo and help us rewire a 39' Cat? All the lobster you can eat and at least 1 day a week guaranteed fishing and or diving?!! Nice Ac and a good marina? Ill get the wife to cook breakfast too lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 19:17   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Chic--

You are fortunate to have a PE license!!!! Today, minimum qualifications require a BS degree and there is a move to upgrade the degree requirement to the Master's level.

Have you tried leveraging your license??? There must be demands for those with a PE now that just about everything in construction requires them. Give that some thought.

Foggy
You would think so. But most companies now a days don't want a PE, only a decreed engineer, preferably with a masters. That PE just means overpriced older engineer. They want people willing to work 80 hours a week on a $40k salary. I was laid off because I was only working 55 hours a week. I was a slacker...
Old 26-08-2013, 19:23   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hugs SailorChic! Hang in there, kid, and don't give up! That resume of yours; make sure it passes a grammatical check as employers get a hint of what you know based upon what you write. I have been in your shoes so many times, but somehow I always managed to dust myself off and ride on a new horse...errr...in a float-plane; perseverance pays. Home Depot and the likes are hiring the middle aged folks and are paying them a working wage with benefits; check them out! Good luck!

Mauritz
Read "Walden II"...all about Utopia, that does not exists...and saw "Lost Horizon".
Eye's gots good Grammerer too. You know that whole english/ grammer thing was always my downfall. Never could wrap my arms around the illogical structure of it. But I knew engineering systems and materials and codes forwards, backwards and sideways.

Actually sort of hard for me to get taken seriously at hardware stores.
Old 26-08-2013, 19:43   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ah Utopia, I guess that means living on less then $5000 a year. Might want to try it some time and see how enlightening it is. You know no one ever chooses to be homeless or would choose to be homeless if there was a choice. But bad things happens.

Yes there are still about 11 million people out of work, but they are no longer counted as part of the work force as your dropped from the roles after unemployment runs out. I know people who have lost everything. Most would kill for a job.
While this is true of many people in many parts of this country today, I think that it is especially amplified in your area. I've been through the tenderloin district. I've seen what down & out means in that town. I've also seen the prices on food, housing & other essentials in that area. They are all well above normal. That town is a particularly cold place to be if you lack healthy resources to back you up.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 19:58   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Chic--- benefits have costs. Here in Massachusetts the cost for a welfare recipient was posted just last week at over $40K. That include housing, food stamps, medical benefits & subsistence checks. There are reports all over the place such as
Ah, but a good part of that $40K pays for the folks that administrate the various programs and does not get to the hands of the recipient at all. The recipient would be lucky to see about a 1/3 of that. Very lucky. Really only 10 percent that apply for actually get housing as there is a shortage.

So folks are not actually getting $40k a year. Maybe $17k a year if they have housing which only 10% ish get. Think is you only get welfare if you have children. No children, no welfare. No housing. OK food stamps which averages about $2k a year and medical which I have no idea what that costs.

But no folks are not getting $40K a year handed to them. Yes It costs $40K just like the military costs $700 billion a year. You could cut the military budget by 80% and it would still be larger then anyone else.

We have 10 nuclear powered air craft carriers, well 9 and one under construction, each massing 160 percent of anyone elses. No one else even has a nuclear powered air craft carrier. The F35 program is a bloated pig that still is not fit for combat as many of the systems including vertical takeoff and landing don't actually work. That's a trillion dollar weapon system (counting spares) that does not work.

The NSA spies on every person in the USA. Every phone call and every email.

Oh there I go again in rant mode. must be time for my meds again....

Tags
dock