Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2015, 10:13   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Miami Beach eliminates shore access by dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Cities regulate parking on streets all the time.

Does anyone know what law might actually prohibit Miami Beach from regulating parking in canals?

And for those who think it is "unconstitutional," there's not a word in the Constitution about this.

If there is such a law, I suppose it is somewhere in the U.S. Code, which is quite lengthy. I'm just hoping somebody can actually cite it.
You are probably right. Once above the high tide mark it is their ball of wax. Like it or not.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:30   #62
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Very simple... just don't go!
Business folks in these coastal communities should realize that they are competing for tourist and cruisers $. If they are not welcome in Miami Beach, there are many other friendly and enjoyable spots to drop your hook and explore. Phil
Easy to say, maybe. But...In reality, it's a good stop. Anchoring is easy, and in the past, very easy access for provisioning and pharmacies close by if you need to re-fill a prescription.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:31   #63
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Florida appears to have a much more casual attitude about many things than the rest of the US does. In some (many? most? all other?) states, if a sign doesn't have the name of the issuing body or the property owner on it, the sign is void. So in New York, you will see traffic signs that say "NYS DOT" or other authorizing body printed, usually in small letters at the bottom. And on towing signs, often the property owner is identified, even if that's "No parking except for Joe's Shoe Sales".

Broward went through a big change in towing laws last year after a lot of publicity and stealing [sic] cars. Chicago, used to tow them whether it was legal or not. Of course, there never was a connection between organized crime and Chicago city politics...

Miami? As the new archbishop actually said, it is SO CLOSE to the continental US. (Audience loved that.) But, don't mistake it as a part of them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:49   #64

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You are probably right. Once above the high tide mark it is their ball of wax. Like it or not.
Well, I think I know that the federal government has the right to regulate activity on "navigable" waterways (although I don't know where that law is, either). What I am curious about is how exclusive that is (states are creating NDZs, under some sort of delegation from the feds).
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:04   #65

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
Well, I think I know that the federal government has the right to regulate activity on "navigable" waterways (although I don't know where that law is, either). What I am curious about is how exclusive that is (states are creating NDZs, under some sort of delegation from the feds).
I believe it is the high water mark, eg. docks come under fed. regs. the Corps with the three **** house logo. above that it is state and local. If sand dunes are involved it is an entirely different can of worms?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 13:10   #66
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yes, the Fed exerts control of what happens ON a navigable waterway.
That's got nothing whatsoever to do with controlling anything on the LAND adjoining those waterways.

Feet Wet? Speak to Uncle Sam.
Feet Dry? Speak to someone else.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:42   #67

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
There are about thirty Lasers in Sunset, were any of them removed? Huge issue of one sidedness.

All U Get
Actually, they are both on the same side (or should I say "he is on the same side"?).
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51   #68
cruiser

Why do people try to cruise America with all the issues? Towing dinghies and holding them for ransom, who puts up with crap like that?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:31   #69
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why do people try to cruise America with all the issues? Towing dinghies and holding them for ransom, who puts up with crap like that?
Well, it's where some of us happen to live, so there's that :-)

And, the East coast of the US still remains a marvelous and remarkably varied cruising ground, in my opinion... Not too many other parts of the world where you can go from something like this...

...to a place like this...

...to a climate like this, by sailing just a bit over 1K miles...

btw, who puts up with crap like the Schengen Agreement, anyway? Seems to me that having your tender towed and held for ransom is a bit more easily avoided...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:47   #70

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Actually, none of this is true. It's just propaganda to scare the foreigners so they won't clutter up our anchorages!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:29   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, it's where some of us happen to live, so there's that :-)

And, the East coast of the US still remains a marvelous and remarkably varied cruising ground, in my opinion... Not too many other parts of the world where you can go from something like this...

btw, who puts up with crap like the Schengen Agreement, anyway? Seems to me that having your tender towed and held for ransom is a bit more easily avoided...

;-)
The Schengen Agreement isn't even a minor issue. Only on CF do folks worry about it.

I've lived on the west coast of the USA for 30 years and 28 years on the East coast. As far as cruising grounds... It doesn't even come remotely close to many other areas of the world.

You don't know what you're missing. Keep an eye on your dinghy.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:01   #72

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Are there "Tow Away Zone" signs farther up the canal at the older Safeway store where the little dock is?
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:05   #73

Boat: OEM, proportional

Methinks I have a cunning plan for all those boatyards that have derelicts to get rid of....
Old 10-08-2015, 05:56   #74

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Unfortunately Miami Beach has long been known for it's hostility towards boaters and has been skirting the laws and regulations for years. For that reason, we simply don't ever visit there, either by boat or auto. And for that reason we decided to NOT include Miami Beach in or ICW anchorage guide. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:12   #75

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
I suppose Europe has its frustrations, as well. For instance, just a few days ago there was a thread in which someone was complaining about Italy enforcing an overly large exclusion zone around an LNG tanker.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, miami