Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 10:56   #31

Re: Miami Beach eliminates shore access by dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
if in fact they did remove these boats illegally, Then werent the removed boats stolen?
Easy way to find out. The next person whose dinghy gets towed from there just needs to file a stolen boat report with the FWC and then see what happens when they locate it.

But, it does sound like another case of "we can't get what we want legally, so we will just do something illegal to get it and make you sue us to stop us from doing it."
Old 24-07-2015, 11:18   #32

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

This is clearly not private property. The second sign is a dead end street. All photos are from Collins canal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437761789145.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	105929   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437761817727.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	105930  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1437761878355.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	105931  
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 13:58   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Has anyone given consideration to the signs are meant for people using their waterfront as their own personal marina?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 15:17   #34

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It looks like Miami beach has amended the city ordinance to allow towing. Here is the pertinent section of the municipal code.

Sec. 66-151. - Launching, hauling and docking at public seawall, etc., prohibited.
(a)
No person shall launch or remove any vessel from the waters of the city over any public seawall, sidewalk, street end, or public property except at locations where a regular business of launching and hauling vessels is conducted, which has the necessary equipment to do such work, or in areas designated and posted for such purpose by the city.
(b)
Docking at public seawalls in single-family neighborhoods prohibited.
(1)
No person shall dock or otherwise secure any vessel, or embark or disembark any passengers or charter parties, at any municipal or public seawall, wharf, dock, or bulkhead, in a single-family neighborhood, except in case of emergency involving safety to life or property.

The question I have is the Collins canal a single family neighborhood. It appears to me to be a business district.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 02:49   #35

Yes, what Miami Beach is doing is criminal. I live aboard in sunset harbour near police dock and have been witnessing the actions of sea tow and of police. Today they towed a kayak and I over heard police laughing and telling sea tow here's another one! Stay close by I'll be calling you to take more dinghies. However it's OK for the police to park their private boats at dock for four days in a row and bring their families out? Also they are discriminating against dinghies only. I have witnessed boats parked for 5 hours at a time and being over looked and police Towing a Dinghy that was parked for 30 minutes. What's the fairness in that? We need to all join together and take action now. I propose that we all write the mayor and we all call channel 7 help me Howard and let people know what's happening here. It's only going to get worse. Also document by videotape all the police and sea tow corruption. The signs they just put up don't match the ordinance either. They apply to single family residencies only! Anyone want to join the fight contact me and we can all have a meeting of the minds and fight this corrupt town back legally and level the playing field.
CHILLMIAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 04:35   #36

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Write to Seatow. Tell them you're not going to buy their towing insurance.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-07-2015, 04:40   #37

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILLMIAMI View Post
Yes, what Miami Beach is doing is criminal. I live aboard in sunset harbour near police dock and have been witnessing the actions of sea tow and of police. Today they towed a kayak and I over heard police laughing and telling sea tow here's another one! Stay close by I'll be calling you to take more dinghies. However it's OK for the police to park their private boats at dock for four days in a row and bring their families out? Also they are discriminating against dinghies only. I have witnessed boats parked for 5 hours at a time and being over looked and police Towing a Dinghy that was parked for 30 minutes. What's the fairness in that? We need to all join together and take action now. I propose that we all write the mayor and we all call channel 7 help me Howard and let people know what's happening here. It's only going to get worse. Also document by videotape all the police and sea tow corruption. The signs they just put up don't match the ordinance either. They apply to single family residencies only! Anyone want to join the fight contact me and we can all have a meeting of the minds and fight this corrupt town back legally and level the playing field.
State law appears to allow people who were illegally towed to get back their money including attorney's fees. It sounds like some people need to find a lawyer who wants to earn some money on the city's dime. Unfortunately this appears to have been the Mayor's idea so appealing to the mayor is not going to help. I could not help but notice that this same ordinance prohibits the blocking of canals by boats. It seems like enforcement is a bit selective.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 05:02   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Miami as a whole sucks. The city is ranked only safer than 4%of the other cities in the US. For a group that thrives on crime awareness im suprised this didnt come up. We had a conference a few years ago in the south beach area and 2 employees were mugged right outside the hotel. Its pretty bad when $3-400 night hotels have to put up warning signs for guests that the isnt safe at night and the hotel isnt responsible for their guests safety.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/fl/miami/crime/

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 17:41   #39

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

If you work in the Miami Beach tourist "industry", you are probably in a minimum wage or low wage job in a hotel, restaurant, or shop. An anchored boat would provide inexpensive housing in an area where housing does not look to be cheap. A place to tie up a dinghy while working, shopping, or whatever ashore would be a requirement. While we cruisers are inconvenienced by the no docking regulation and by the police dock 20 minute rule, these working people are truly hurt.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 01:11   #40

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Exactly. if people aren't paid a living wage they have to find an alternative way to live (like on a boat)or get government subsidy. I also think that's why theft is so high here. there's so much money here but so many more people struggling just to live.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 16:37   #41

It nice to think that the money spent by boaters in Miami Beach makes a difference to any government or commercial entity on the beach. Be realistic. There are a large number of boaters anchored in the area for days or months. Short term transients may go ashore and spend tourist sized bucks but most are long term residents looking for an economical residence afloat. Why do you think the tourist oriented economy cares about your spending or your anchoring rights?

The Beach not some sparcely populated ICW town or tropical out island that wants your businesa. Its the cemter of a high $$$ tourist economy that sees you (us) as an inconvenience that is only tolerated. Why would anyone in the city be interested on your needs and requirements.

So base your arguments and outrage on fundamental rignts of access. Get the city to provide a public access point that will have restrictions to overcrowding or overuse. Sounds like a municipal mooring field doesnt it.

Get real and be more effective. It was only a matter of time before the Miami Beach anchorage was regulated in some way.
ghan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 16:51   #42

I think calling seatow would be the first step. We cruisers use this service, and we do not want our dinghys towed. If this does not work it can be taken farther. even finding out the name of the tow operator that is towing the boats. They are obviously taking advantage of people in an illegal way. I contacted seatow, so should all of you. If this is not made right, its time to tell everyone, "say no to seatow"
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:27   #43

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I called the city office and got a copy of the amended municipal code 66-151 which was apparently codified on April 15 (wonder why it's still not on the city website). Too much info to post here, but the basics is that they added "dock" to the launch and remove language, changed "single family" to "residential," and added language that allows them to tow them away. I also talked to SeaTow. Full article with link: Miami Beach cracks down on dinghy access located in Atlantic ICW - FL & St. Johns R. | Waterway Guide News Update.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:53   #44
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
I called the city office and got a copy of the amended municipal code 66-151 which was apparently codified on April 15 (wonder why it's still not on the city website). Too much info to post here, but the basics is that they added "dock" to the launch and remove language, changed "single family" to "residential," and added language that allows them to tow them away. I also talked to SeaTow. Full article with link: Miami Beach cracks down on dinghy access located in Atlantic ICW - FL & St. Johns R. | Waterway Guide News Update.
Thanks for the update...

From your link:

Quote:
The Background section of the amended ordinance states: "There have been complaints in certain multifamily districts that there are boats and jet skies docked and often abandoned near their homes. In reviewing the issues with Code Compliance it was determined that the code currently only provides protection from mooring and such activities in single family home districts.
People "abandoning" jet skis and RIBs with 15 HP outboards along the Collins Canal, huh ?

Yeah, I'll bet that happens "often", alright...

UFB...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:59   #45

Boat: Pearson 530

There are about thirty Lasers in Sunset, were any of them removed? Huge issue of one sidedness.

All U Get

Tags
dinghy, miami