Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-08-2015, 15:16   #76

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Miami Beach eliminates shore access by dinghy

Maybe we should do a protest raft up in front of Miami harbor!

Old 10-08-2015, 20:24   #77

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Are there "Tow Away Zone" signs farther up the canal at the older Safeway store where the little dock is?
Oops. I just read my own note. I meant Publix not Safeway. For the last couple of years farther up the Collins canal there has been a small dock across the street from the old Publix grocery. I wonder if it too is off limits.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:36   #78

Boat: OEM, proportional

Muahahahaha! Dinghy? This aint no dinghy, it's my truck. Exemption! Though when it beaches at speed it tends to bring some water with it....

Old 11-08-2015, 03:57   #79

Boat: 38' French Cat

Maybe take all the cuban chugs littering the beaches of the marquesas and tow them to collins canal and tie them up for sea tow to deal with...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-08-2015, 10:29   #80
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Schengen Agreement isn't even a minor issue. Only on CF do folks worry about it.
Glad to hear it... However, there are still a few out there who might beg to differ with that assessment ;-)

Quote:
I've lived on the west coast of the USA for 30 years and 28 years on the East coast. As far as cruising grounds... It doesn't even come remotely close to many other areas of the world.
I wasn't making the claim that the Eastern seaboard of the US tops the list of the world's cruising destinations... Certainly, when it comes to a region of such deep historical and cultural significance as the Med, few other parts of the world compare... Still, I think the East coast has plenty to offer, and I'd challenge you to name another region that offers such a wide variety of topography and climes squeezed into such a narrow band of latitude. (Not to mention, with the additional added benefit to cruisers of a marvelous feature like the Intracoastal Waterway tossed in for good measure, that's pretty much unique in the world.) A place like New Zealand, for instance, is one of the rare few that immediately come to mind...

Do you sail through the winter in the Med? That is very easily accomplished by many East coast sailors, no matter where you're based... How long would you have to sail before reaching a winter cruising ground equivalent to the Bahamas, for instance? I live in New Jersey, yet the Bahamas are easily reachable for me, making even a relatively brief sojourn to escape the worst of the winter worthwhile... At the other extreme, heading in the opposite direction, I can be sailing among icebergs in 2 weeks, if I'm lucky, I'm guessing you'd be hard-pressed to match that from your home base in the Med... ;-)

Quote:
You don't know what you're missing.
Hmmm, don't be so sure of that... ;-)

Quote:
Keep an eye on your dinghy.
Don't worry, although I prefer to avoid destinations where 'dinghy security' might be an overriding concern, I always do...

'Cause, you never know...

Last summer, for instance, the greatest threat to my inflatable tender would have come from a polar bear, confusing it with something blubbery and tasty...

;-)

Old 11-08-2015, 15:18   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Maybe take all the cuban chugs littering the beaches of the marquesas and tow them to collins canal and tie them up for sea tow to deal with...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Or take those dinghies that guy has anchored all behind his house to stop anchoring and tie them up to the signs.

And, then sit back and watch the a-holes fight!
Old 12-08-2015, 13:56   #82

Boat: Krogen 42

So, the past 2 years we anchored in Sunset Lake and reprovisioned prior to leaving for Bimini, same on the return. Where close by can we do the same?
Old 12-08-2015, 14:39   #83
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Terry, The City of Miami still loves you. Try No Name harbor on Key Biscayne or Dinner Key.
There is a good restaurant in No Name Harbor. Dinner Key has a nice dinghy dock with groceries and other stuff with in walking distance. Great area to have a bicycle.
Old 12-08-2015, 16:23   #84

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Skip Miami Beach. The would be rich don't want you. Your probably hauling around non of their debt.

Not being from there I would recommend Scotty's Landing in Cocanut Grove. Cold beer. good food and nice management if it hasn't changed hands 8n 13 yrs..
Old 12-08-2015, 16:55   #85

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Skip Miami Beach. The would be rich don't want you. Your probably hauling around non of their debt.

Not being from there I would recommend Scotty's Landing in Cocanut Grove. Cold beer. good food and nice management if it hasn't changed hands 8n 13 yrs..
Had lunch at Scotty's as recently as March and it seemed to still be going strong. One of the last holdovers from the "old" Grove. I was born in & grew up on & off in Miami but, other than sailing on Biscayne Bay, tying up at Dinner Key, frequenting a few select places in Coconut Grove, and a couple of great old chandleries like Hopkins-Carter, I find the place & its surrounds less & less tolerable. I keep trying to rekindle the attraction, but incidents like the repeated unfriendliness of M. Beach towards its visiting cruisers leaves me cynical. I lived on my boat for awhile at Dinner Key and found it enjoyable if I didn't venture beyond walking distance of the marina. Just a personal take on the area & not intending any offense towards those who make it their home. I have several family members who still live there and so I make visits from time to time.
Old 12-08-2015, 17:00   #86
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
So, the past 2 years we anchored in Sunset Lake and reprovisioned prior to leaving for Bimini, same on the return. Where close by can we do the same?
Last time I anchored in Sunset Lake was about 4 years ago, so this may have changed...

I always left my dink underneath the bridge with the guard house at the part of Sunset Drive that gives residents access to the two islands on the SW side of the lake... It was sort of a 'hidden' spot, and might have even been part of the property of an adjacent auto repair shop right on that canal. But no one ever objected to my coming and going from there... So, who knows, perhaps that's one spot that might not have been 'tagged' yet?

It's a convenient spot, as I recall the walk to Publix might have even been shorter than it was from the Collins Canal...

Here's the bridge, bottom left of the pic...

Old 12-09-2015, 14:40   #87
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Has anyone got an update? Anyone anchored near the Collins Canal very recently. We hope to make Miami in about two months.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:34   #88

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There is a good restaurant in No Name Harbor.
They have incredible cuban coffee there!
Old 15-09-2015, 19:34   #89
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Well said! The Retirement Project: Dream and fantasy

Photo offered with permission from Michael Ahart. His article is worth reading.Social media rumor has it that one of our favorite anchorages in FL has been rendered off limits to cruisers. Not directly. The anti-cruising anchoring law failed to pass…this time. Instead, they outlawed tying up a dinghy to get to shore, particularly where there was access to stores and services. The vast majority of the people affected by this new law will be American cruisers. But, because we live on boats, we have become just another group to be disenfranchised. Somehow, we are not considered "true Americans" any more.

The excuse is getting rid of the derelict boats, but even those who wrote the law know it is just that, an excuse. Derelict boats are already against the law, just like letting a yard turn into jungle is against the law in most of the cities and townships where I have lived. The “fix” for those who ignore their lawn isn't tearing down every house in the neighborhood. But in Florida the “fix” for having poor people living on decrepit old boats is to chase every cruising boat away.

Clearly Floridians, at least some of them who have access to power, simply don't like people who don't live on land.

Ah well, so much for the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

There are 45 million Americans living below the poverty level. It is inevitable that some of them have found living on a decrepit old boat is one way they can keep even a marginal roof over their heads.

Many of those unsightly old boats are, as I have mentioned before, inhabited by veterans, many with a variety of mental and bodily health issues. That any are homeless at all should an embarrassment to the richest nation the planet has ever known. That some of those homeless are war-damaged veterans should be a source of utter shame for every American, everywhere. Instead, laws are passed to simply chase them away, make them hide somewhere so the shame isn't right out front for everyone to see.

That has become the typical American “fix” for nearly every problem. Hide it, and then insist over and over that the problem simply doesn't exist until people think that is the truth. This will be the main story line of the just-started Presidential Campaign. It isn't a particularly elegant or intelligent way to deal with the world, but it appears to work in the short run. In the long run it leads to the downfall of nations and the end of civilizations.

One of the reasons I like living on a boat is that hiding from the world just isn't an option. There is no ignoring tides, currents, thunderstorms, high winds and big waves when one lives “out here”. Realistic assessments of the boat's conditions, the crews abilities, and the environment are daily responsibilities in a cruiser's life. There is a huge difference between living the dream and living a fantasy void of reality. The Dream can fill a life with purpose, adventure, learning, experience, and wisdom. Trying to live a fantasy devoid of reality will get one killed.

America is living in a fantasy void of reality. It will be the other main story line of the just-started Presidential Campaign.

We will be heading to Florida soon, along with a few thousand other cruisers. Part of my reality is that the welcome will be less than it was. There is nothing I can do about that. We will be forced to skip what was a nice spot for a break and a provisioning run, even though we should have as much claim to American waters as any American who lives on land. We may still stop there for a night or two. Right in the middle of a major metropolis, it has a different kind of beauty than an isolated Cay in the Abacos. There is no provisioning in one of those Cays either, but we still enjoy spending time in them.

There are few people in those isolated places. Sometimes we are the only ones around for miles. And yet they will be more welcoming than a city full of Americans. The small Islands that do have residents will be more welcoming still. Kind of a sad commentary given what kinds of things America likes to boast about...Land of Free, Home of the Brave, Lovers of Liberty, Touchstone of Human Rights, Land of Opportunity, yadda, yadda, yadda...

A fantasy void of reality.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 06:37   #90
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Sad but true. And the next push for restricting anchoring within a certain distance from residential waterfront properties starts soon.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, miami

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: