Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 22:10   #46

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Mexico enforcing its rules of entry

Navigator says:
"First get your boat permit and tourist cards for your guests all at one time online, easy shmeasy! "

$81 for me and $21 for each guest? For a daysail? Really?

What about the passenger list? I have to complete that, e-mail it to the authorities, and then hope for a reply providing acknowledgement.

I guess I can not get over the "good old days" where we just sailed out past SD1 and had a good time, returned home, tied up, and had a beer - all for no cost.

And why would we fish with guests on board when the cheapest license they can buy is $25.80 per person? I can take my guests out for sushi and sake and pay less than that.

It is a new day and we old-timers / grubby old farts are having trouble adapting.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 11:59   #47

Re: Mexico enforcing its rules of entry - Update from the water

Just talked to a dockmate who was out in his 32-foot open sport fisher yesterday just 7 miles WSW of the SD buoy (SW most buoy of the San Diego channel).

He was chasing a tuna boil with two trolling lines in the water. They got on the fish and stopped trolling but were slowly moving along with the tuna and catching a few.

Suddenly the Mexican Navy boat that was about 3/4 mile south of them put a RIB in the water and they came racing toward Tom's boat. Tom took a quick look at his GPS and saw that he had drifted 100-yards south of the border.

Tom has twin 200 HP outboards and quickly moved back into US waters.

It appears the Mexicans are serious about enforcing their border against US fishing boats. They have every right to do so but it is a big change in the way the SD fishing game has been played in the past.
Old 15-08-2015, 12:23   #48

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

A new revenue stream for them. Lots of boats to seize and ransom back. Wish our nation would better enforce our rules.

Main thing is to be careful when close to the border.
Old 17-08-2015, 06:22   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

U.S. Dept of Homeland Security (CBP) Vessel Entrance and Clearance Statement Form 1300 (Zarpe). ➥ http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...m%201300_0.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:43   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My info is pretty dated but when I was in the delivery business, many of my clients were members of the 91day yacht club I used to carry about 30-40 copies of everything along with my own stamp. Dressing respectfully is also important. Just saying, presentation is extremely important in the Mexican culture. If you look professional, are organized and polite deferring to their power structure, you will be treated well. Phil
Lot's has changed over the years, but in my experience all of your points remain valid. One change, for example, is that the slightest discrepancy in the TIP is considered grounds for impounding the vessel, whereas in the past a typo/transposition error might be easily overlooked.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 08:08   #51

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
U.S. Dept of Homeland Security (CBP) Vessel Entrance and Clearance Statement Form 1300 (Zarpe). ➥ http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fil...m%201300_0.pdf
GordMay is more useful than Key West CBP. This is the doc you need to bring to MX.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 08:58   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
Lot's has changed over the years, but in my experience all of your points remain valid. One change, for example, is that the slightest discrepancy in the TIP is considered grounds for impounding the vessel, whereas in the past a typo/transposition error might be easily overlooked.
I do believe the statement above is true but then wonder how could a pleasure boat possibly use U.S. Dept of Homeland Security (CBP) Vessel Entrance and Clearance Statement Form 1300 (Zarpe)??

There is no possible answer for the following (or any answer you put in is wrong):
Trade Code
Blocks #:
7 - Ships Agent and address
13 - IMO / Official #, Call Sign
20 - Carriers on board by SCAC code
25 - SOLAS Certificate
26 - Passengers allowed per USCG document
27, 28, 29 Certificate of Financial Responsibility for Pollution, Passenger Death, Passenger Transportation Indemnification

It seems that form would raise far more questions than answers. Has anyone actually used this form of the zarpe on the Mexican West Coast or West Baja coast?
Old 17-08-2015, 09:18   #53

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I do believe the statement above is true but then wonder how could a pleasure boat possibly use U.S. Dept of Homeland Security (CBP) Vessel Entrance and Clearance Statement Form 1300 (Zarpe)??
It seems that form would raise far more questions than answers. Has anyone actually used this form of the zarpe on the Mexican West Coast or West Baja coast?
Not only that, I was told that form is only good for 24 hours.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:48   #54

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
There is no possible answer for the following (or any answer you put in is wrong):
Trade Code
Blocks #:
7 - Ships Agent and address
13 - IMO / Official #, Call Sign
20 - Carriers on board by SCAC code
25 - SOLAS Certificate
26 - Passengers allowed per USCG document
27, 28, 29 Certificate of Financial Responsibility for Pollution, Passenger Death, Passenger Transportation Indemnification

It seems that form would raise far more questions than answers.
I have just looked at a clearance form that CBP filled in for me. All the fields you mention are empty.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 11:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I have just looked at a clearance form that CBP filled in for me. All the fields you mention are empty.
I am not concerned about the US authorities - I want to know how the Mexican authorities will feel about the blank fields. I have dealt with quite a few of those folks over the years and they do like their forms completed with no blanks.

If over 300 boats were impounded due to confusion about HIN -vs- USCG document number then what will happen with a zarpe that shows no financial responsibility numbers?

Or - heaven forbid no SCAC number?

That is why I asked if anyone has actually presented such a zarpe with the blank fields to an official in Western Mexico port of entry? Or, even the Mexican Navy?
Old 17-08-2015, 12:28   #56

Quote:
I must apologize to the participants in this thread. I just could not accept the fact that so many things have changed in the way Mexico manages it's territorial waters. Nor could I understand how they wanted to make it darn near impossible to daysail into Mexican waters.

It is simple (but I found it so hard to understand or believe).

1. Plan the trip far enough ahead that I know the exact number of passengers and hope no one cancels or does a plus one. Complete the online form requesting a cruising permit and put in either the HIN or USCG #

1a. Make sure I have the passport number for each passenger, the date of issue, date of expiration, country of issue, and birth date.

2. Pay $81 for a one time cruising permit to sail my boat in Mexican waters

3. Tell each of my guests to apply online ahead of time for a Temporary Visa and pay $21 for that visa

I downloaded the Instructions for Data Entry for Passenger and Crew - item 4 requires all the data provided in the Instructions and will accept an EXCEL 2003 form for which they provide a template. Nice (if I knew what they wanted)

4. Have my guests notify me ahead of time they have their permits so I can fill out passenger list and e-mail it to the Mexican authorities. Provide the passport info and birthdates for each guest.

4a. Provide the Mexican authorities the Sea Record Number for each passenger
4b. Provide vessel SETRAM number
4c. Provide vessel Consignee or Agent name
4d. Provide arrival date and time of Mexican arrival and the Port name

I'm pretty sure I know 4a thru 4d.

5. Verify I receive an e-mail confirming the payment of my $81

6. Ask each guest to show me the e-mail they received confirming their $21 visa payment

7. Make sure I remove all fishing gear, boxes, tackle, spare line, life raft hooks because my guests do not want to pay for a license

8. Ensure I leave on the date that we planned and reported and not earlier than the time I planned and reported.

all this for a four hour afternoon sail - but, I do understand it is Mexico and they have every right to enforce any regulations they wish to enforce.

Ah -for the good old days!
Or don't go into Mexican waters.

In the end it is their territory. For years you got a free pass. Now you don't. Get over it. If the requirements are too onerous don't go.

There are a whole lot of comments implying that Mexico should gladly allow you to sail into their waters any time and way that YOU so desire. It appears to me that Mexico decided that is simply not the case. If you want to go into Mexico, you will jump through the hoops THEY desire.

There is plenty of water north of the border to sail in. If today you sail south into Mexican waters, then at the end of the day you have to sail north back out. Turn it around, and sail NORTH into American waters, and at the end of the day sail south back to San Diego.

Problem solved.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 12:31   #57

Quote:
Navigator says:
"First get your boat permit and tourist cards for your guests all at one time online, easy shmeasy! "

$81 for me and $21 for each guest? For a daysail? Really?

What about the passenger list? I have to complete that, e-mail it to the authorities, and then hope for a reply providing acknowledgement.

I guess I can not get over the "good old days" where we just sailed out past SD1 and had a good time, returned home, tied up, and had a beer - all for no cost.

And why would we fish with guests on board when the cheapest license they can buy is $25.80 per person? I can take my guests out for sushi and sake and pay less than that.

It is a new day and we old-timers / grubby old farts are having trouble adapting.
How about this? You fish on your own damned side of the border?

Would you really expect to walk across the Canadian border, fish all day long and come home and not expect repurcussions?
Old 17-08-2015, 12:45   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

There is plenty of water north of the border to sail in. If today you sail south into Mexican waters, then at the end of the day you have to sail north back out. Turn it around, and sail NORTH into American waters, and at the end of the day sail south back to San Diego.

Problem solved.
Momma always told me: "Sail UPWIND the first part of the day, then the trip back is a LOT easier."
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 13:29   #59

I love it when a technical matter:

WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO ENTER MEXICAN WATERS AND HOW DO I GET THEM?

is discussed in great detail and then the editorial writers choose to get involved and add disparaging comments about intent and attitude.

The problem is that Mexico keeps changing the requirements and the various agencies interpret the regulations differently. This discussion, in some detail, was about the recent changes, what was needed, where to get it, and how to pay for it.

There were difference of opinions about what was needed and where it was available and how much it has changed over the last couple years.

I presented my detailed instruction list to clarify how complicated and expensive it has become to sail into Mexico for the day and I ended that list with I do understand it is Mexico and they have every right to enforce any regulations they wish to enforce.

Why does that lead forum members to start a personal attack and imply that I was trying to circumvent the rules?
Old 17-08-2015, 19:12   #60

Quote:
Why does that lead forum members to start a personal attack and imply that I was trying to circumvent the rules?
Because of this???

Quote:
The "good old days" when you could do whatever you felt like and no one had any right to think you shouldn't be doing that?

And about 14 other such silly posts.

Tags
Mexico, rule