Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 17:26   #31

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Mexican Territorial Waters

Don't forget to get a park access permit also,needed for going ashore in many places.Lobster is a big nono.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:33   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It's alot easier on the gulf side all we need is a Exit Zarpe from where we come from, never had anybody ask for a fishing lic ! or say anything about the very apparent fishing equipment aboard all the boats Ive visted eastern Mexico in!! I know things are different on the west coast, same country different rules !! or at least different inforcement!! We love mexico, get there any chance we get !! the fishin on our side is not as good as the west side! but theres less compatition for the fish !! and the local fishermen love to trade fish and lobster for the darndest things LOL
Old 06-06-2012, 18:47   #33

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ANGLERS are different than CRUISERS check it out before making noises that cruisers need a 250 dollar angler visa..
?? never made that noise.

I said if going south of boarder in a boat that you (cruiser?) will need a FMM (or FMM visa form). This is the type of form you would normally fill out if flying into Mexico. It costs about $27, is good for a single trip up to 180 days. You need to have this, a fishing permit, and your passport if south of boarder with fishing gear in your boat. You need this before checking in at Ensenada. So get at a Mexican consulate I guess. This is required for cruisers, fisherman on private boats, or paying customers on commercial fishing boats (the charter boat docks sell them to fishers via a special service company at the dock).

The working crew on commercial fishing boats need a work visa (Annual Working FM3 I think) which is expensive, and is good for a year. Is this your "angler"? I guess so.

If a cruiser has a annual residency FM3 or immigrant FM2 they do not need to get the FMM.

If you showed up in Ensenda without an FMM, likely they would just issue you one at immigration. That is not the problem. The issue is with the Navy, as if they check you before you get to Ensenada they will expect you to show them at least an FMM. Really need to get before entering Mexico.

By the way, Southwest Marine's cruising guide (as good a resource as it is) is dated in 2011 and does not include the new requirements that became effective in 2012.

I think I am really in agreement with everything you say, but just clarifying that as of 1/1/2012 the requirements are now that boaters within 24 miles of Mexican coast need to arrive with their FMM or other visa on their person. If you wait until Ensenada you are taking a big chance.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:50   #34

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

So help me out. I sail out of San Diego and find myself inadvertantly in Mexican water on just day sail. Do you guys recommend having any kind of documentation on board for just day sails or do you recommend heading West or North as soon as we round Point Loma just to avoid the Mexican water? What do others sailing out of San Diego do?
Old Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18   #35

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sailor View Post
So help me out. I sail out of San Diego and find myself inadvertantly in Mexican water on just day sail. Do you guys recommend having any kind of documentation on board for just day sails or do you recommend heading West or North as soon as we round Point Loma just to avoid the Mexican water? What do others sailing out of San Diego do?
Actually pretty hard to sail into Mexico if just going out of SD on a day sail. Its about 8 miles due South from Point Loma, and you can easily see the big bull ring at the boarder as a landmark. Just don't go further South.
If you aren't fishing, and not lurking about the Coronados, it is very very unlikely you would be stopped by the Mexican Navy. Likely your bigger concern, if you did accidently cross into Mexico and then back to USA, is being stopped by US Coast Guard. You have just entered USA waters from foreign country. Better have your passports on board in that case.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19   #36

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Actually pretty hard to sail into Mexico if just going out of SD on a day sail. Its about 8 miles due South from Point Loma, and you can easily see the big bull ring at the boarder as a landmark. Just don't go further South.
If you aren't fishing, and not lurking about the Coronados, it is very very unlikely you would be stopped by the Mexican Navy. Likely your bigger concern, if you did accidently cross into Mexico and then back to USA, is being stopped by US Coast Guard. You have just entered USA waters from foreign country. Better have your passports on board in that case.
Guess you are right about the day sail. We have been 5 miles or so out and believe it or not my wife gets a "Welcome to Mexico" message on her iPhone. Don't think they aren't watching? It was pretty strange the first time we ventured out of SD Harbor thinking we were headed West but when leaving Point Loma astern we were actuallyheaded due South.
Old Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:03   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

out of san diego to avoid mexican water, sail north.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 15:40   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Documentation: FMM (Immigration Card)
Expiration: 180 days
Extensions: N/A

Nationalities elegible for an FMM Multiple Migratory Form

Andorra
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Canada
Czech Republic
Chile
Costa Rica
Cyprus
Denmark
Estonia
Results in shorter
processing times.

FMM - Multiple Immigration Form
Short-term Immigration document under the Non-Immigrant (Status)
It refers to the immigration status given to foreign nationals who legally enter the country
for stay in Mexico on a temporary basis less than 180 days.

This new form became effective May 1st, 2010, which substitutes the old FMT and FMN
forms.

Finland
France
Germany
Greece
*Hong Kong
Hungary
Ireland
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Latvia
Lichtenstein
Lithuania
Luxemburg
Malta
Monaco
Norway
New Zealand
Poland
Portugal
San Marino
Singapore
Slovenia
Slovakia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
The Netherlands
United Kingdom
Uruguay
United States of
America.

Note: If your nationality does not appear in the above list you need to apply for A VISA
in the nearest Mexican Consulate where you reside then you can apply for the FMM.

No visa shall be required in the following events:

Foreign national who lives in the country on a temporary or permanent basis, and
proves his/her status with a true and valid FM2, FM3 or FMTF immigration form.
Foreign national who bears a true and valid FMVL (local visitor) immigration form.
Foreign national who bears a valid exit and return permit or an APEC Business.
Travel Card valid in Mexico.
Permit from the INM in the corresponding events.
In the event of connection transmigrants, such permit may be verified through
electronic means.

Important: presentation of visa does not guarantee the foreign national’s entry.
Visas & Immigration Documents
* Chinese citizens with passports issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region*
HOME ABOUT US VISA SERVICES MEXICAN VISAS VISAS FOR OTHER COUNTRIES CONTACT US
Derechos Reservados, 2008. Visasmex ™ / Batres Nieto, Abogados Asociados, S.C.
HOME / ABOUT US / VISA SERVICES / MEXICAN VISAS / VISAS FOR OTHER COUNTRIES / CONTACT US
As part of our services, we will identify your current immigration status in order to offer you the best option for your Mexican visa or long term
immigration document in Mexico. Our Immigration & Naturalization Attorneys, are people with more than 10-year experience on the field,
attaining visas and immigration documents for Foreign Nationals from all over the world under all the immigration modalities and characteristics.
Immigration & naturalization documents

FM3 Long-term visas / 1year
FM3 family visas

FM2 Long-term visas / 1year
FM2 family visas

Resident
Resident family visas

FMM Short-term visa / 180 days
Modalities
Business

this is NOT the visa required for cruising in a sailboat a a tourist in mexico. as a tourist cruiser in mexico you WILOL be asked for a visa turistica, for up to 6 months. once you leave, when you return, you are required to obtain a new visa turistica. fm3 follows the visa turistica.

these visas are paid for in mexico. if you have any questions, GO TO MEXICAN CONSULATE.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote