Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-06-2012, 12:21   #16

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Mexican Territorial Waters

If you are coming from the south, Chinchorro is not on the way. We spent the night on a mooring there right off of the navy base and they watched us for about an hour from their dock with binoculars but didn't hail us or come to our boat. We had cleared in in Isla Mujeres and cleared out of Cozumel so at that point we were no longer with our Mexico papers but we still had our courtesy flag up. I don't think any of the officials in that part of Mexico know anything about this "sea visa" and this is the first I have heard of it. No one seems to be worried about the fishing permits there either though it is a big deal on the west coast. If you were to be transiting that area and had a Zarpe from your last port you could just say that you are bound for Isla Mujeres (or Cozumel, Cancun, etc to clear in). There aren't too many instances of cruising boats in that area being boarded at random by the Mexican Navy anyway and Banco Chinchorro is just a small outpost with no Navy ship stationed there.

Old 05-06-2012, 13:20   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

if you have questions, go to mexican consulate in san diego before leaving for mexico-- you get a visa free, you pay in mexico whenye check into mexico.
you pay for you-18 or 23 dollars. at a specified banco. crew pays same.
boat is tip--temp import permitted within 6 mos of arrival. have heard nothing, nada, about any changes that are official, and i have friends in the port capt offices. so--- if you get the visa in sd, you should be ok for 6 months. if you are on other side-get visa in mex consulate that side wherever you may find one. i am currently travelling in mexico--there is NO 250 dollar visa.
it is generally presumed by mexican officials that you have cleared into mexico by the time you arrive in la paz/cabo san lucas. easiest place in which to do that is ensenada. everything including fishing license is under same roof. not sure about the easiest place to check into mexico on eastern side. us citizens do not need zarpe to check into mexico initially on west coast. you can make crew list int he port cpt office in ensenada.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:00   #18

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

on the east side of Mexico they want you to get a temp. importation permit within one week. A Zarpe even if you came from the U.S. (if you don't have a Zarpe you had better use a good agent for your checkin). Nobody (cruisers nor officials) ever even mentions fishing permits. But this guy on this thread is avoiding Mexico so none of this matters to him. We avoided checking into Belize on our way back to Guatemala from Mexico.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:06   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

in mexico the tip is demanded only when you are planning to remain inmexico for 6 months or longer. i didnt get mine until i was here in mexico for 6 months. is no big deal. fishing license can be a big deal if you are boarded by mexican navy and they choose o search for the permit and contraband fishing gear.
i have been here in mexico for over a year. yes the tip is for more than 6 months time in mexico. is not needed for less than 6 months transit of the country.
if you plan on staying in mexico or cruising thru here, learn the laws. i asked the port cpts of the ports i checked into and learned from them.
also make sure ye dont sail into or thru a tuna pen--that is a BIG nono and they are located, unlit, up to 30 miles offshore. be safe.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

The rest of you can learn something here--the rules in Mexico are dependent on where you are and who you talk to...just be sure you get a receipt for everything you pay.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13   #21

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if you have questions, go to mexican consulate in san diego before leaving for mexico-- you get a visa free, you pay in mexico whenye check into mexico. ...
This has changed as of 1/1/2012. The free land visa does not qualify for travel into Mexico by boat (requires a "sea visa"). It is not free, and you need to have it before crossing into Mexico (can't wait till checking in at Ensenada anymore). They can check you at the Coronado Islands for visas. The San Diego charter fishing fleet is suffering as a result of this new rule. Complicated by fact that no two authorities understand or interpret the regulations the same way as it is all still new with many unanswered questions on the details. One detail does seem clear however; the covered area is 24 miles from coast of Mexico (i.e., the Contiguous Zone).
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46   #22

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
This has changed as of 1/1/2012. The free land visa does not qualify for travel into Mexico by boat (requires a "sea visa"). It is not free, and you need to have it before crossing into Mexico (can't wait till checking in at Ensenada anymore). They can check you at the Coronado Islands for visas. The San Diego charter fishing fleet is suffering as a result of this new rule. Complicated by fact that no two authorities understand or interpret the regulations the same way as it is all still new with many unanswered questions on the details. One detail does seem clear however; the covered area is 24 miles from coast of Mexico (i.e., the Contiguous Zone).

Dennis the "Sea Visa" is actually for a Charter USA fishing boat entering Mexican Waters, but not actually going to land. It has nothing to do with recreational cruising boats.

Since the Mexican Law change everything is being interpreted differently. Laws on the PACIFIC and CARIBBEAN sides seem to be enforced differently, probably because most of the recreational traffic on the Pacific side comes from California, where the Caribbean side is host to numerous countries. Also it is clear they are still trying to figure out how to enforce the new laws.

Now that the Mexican's are starting to tighten their boarders a little bit, we are crying foul... One of the things I find intriguing is that we Americans seemed to be the ones most pissed off about the Mexican Law changes....

But I ask you.. Would the US put up with foreign flagged vessels entering our territorial waters to fish without identifying the crews? or better yet, let a sailboat come in from Mexico and sail/anchor along the coast of California as far as San Francisco without checking in?

Up until recently we were doing that regularly in Mexico... Recreational vessels routinely travel from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas or even La Paz, anchoring along the way, before checking in (750-900 miles inside Mexico territory). They would get away, because Mexican law allowed you to sail along the coast avoiding immigration, basiscally giveing the Captain the choice of where to check into he country.

Check with the Mexican Consulate nearest you... Also NOONSITE for the most up to date information....

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:50   #23

OK, I guess things have changed from what I said in my last post. Much confusion exists since new regulations were enacted in Mexico on 1/1/2012. The Mexican Consolate in San Diego issue a "clarification" in March on the subject however. It still leaves me a bit confused, so better read it yourself if interested.

"MEXICO REMOVES AMBIGUITY REGARDING SPORTFISHING VISA REGULATIONS " by BAJA-4-U | San Diego Reader
Old 06-06-2012, 11:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
...But I ask you.. Would the US put up with foreign flagged vessels entering our territorial waters to fish without identifying the crews? or better yet, let a sailboat come in from Mexico and sail/anchor along the coast of California as far as San Francisco without checking in?
Ask any foreign visiting cruiser. The USA is perhaps the biggest hassle to visit of any country. Mexico is very accomodating to visitors in comparison.
Thank goodness, I love Mexico.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03   #25

From Feb 2012 Latitude 38:

And down in San Diego, there's been a big hubbub about Mexico supposedly now requiring visitors by sea, and even those coming within 24 miles of shore, to obtain visas in advance. There's a lot of confusion about the new law, and it's beginning to look as though it's only intended for folks on the commercial fishing boats. As Bob Hoyt of Mag Bay Outfitters told Latitude, the visa fees are not unreasonable, as U.S. fishermen cross into Mexican waters to take lots of fish. Only time will tell how this all plays out for cruisers.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:07   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

This site helps to explain the visas. Apparently, "sea visas" are only required for fishermen (sport and private) and not for innocent passage (but doesn't fishing gear on board define everyone on board as a fisherman?).

New visa requirements set for U.S. anglers fishing Mexican Waters

Confusion reigns.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:23   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

dennisg--there have been no new changes as regards cruisers since i came here over a year ago. you get visa in consulate in sd or in ensenada at checkin. you pay in ensenada at check in --pay the banco in the same office as the port cpt and aduana.and conapesca.is best to get fishing license in sd, as you CAN and probably will be stopped to be boarded by los coronados--they DO look for fishing gar and contraband.
tip is mandatory for 6 months or longer duration stays in mexico--i got mine at 5 1/2 months-in mazatlan. same with my fm3. fm3 is good for one year, tip for 10 yrs.
the entry for humans is 23 dollars at the banco.
regulations for commecial fishing are neded as the place is being fished out by usa sport fishers and other sporty fisherfolks. those regs are DIFFERENT frm the cruisers regulations.
enjoy --

btw--the regs are same on both sides of mexico--is a nation of many states but the attempt to make it universal is meting with officials who do ot tolerate change well. the law is the aw, and the differences are due to lack of desire to change from mordida system to normalcy.

btw--if ye can speak spanish--even broken spanish, it is deeply appreciated by the authorities in each different port. 6ou will have a much easier time checking in and out once there is a respect for the spanish authorities instead of making them speak english. YOU are visiting THEIR country--makes a big difference.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:27   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dennisg--there have been no new changes as regards cruisers since i came here over a year ago. you get visa in consulate in sd or in ensenada at checkin. ...
When I sailed into Mexico last year that was the case, but I think that has changed as of 1/1/2012. You now need to have both your FMM and MX fishing license before entering Mexico, and can not wait until entry in Ensenada to get your FMM. As I have had it explained to me, if you are stopped by the Mexican Navy south of border, they will ask for both an FMM (or as an alternative a visa), a fishing license and passport from each person on board. This is true for either private or commercial boats. Working crew on commercial sportfishing boats must each have a current Mexican work visa (likely root of "only commercial boats require visas" comments). Mexican authorities do not consider an FMM as an actual visa (although cruisers commonly refer to them as visas) which has added to the confusion.

This is to best of my knowledge, but very possible that I am wrong.

A more recent San Diego Log article on this subject:
The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News - Mexican-Consulate-Makes-it-Clear--Anglers-Need-FMM-to-Fish-in-Mexico
Old 06-06-2012, 17:47   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ANGLERS are different than CRUISERS check it out before making noises that cruisers need a 250 dollar angler visa..

i have said many times that the conapesca fishing license is mandatory before gong into mexican waters. cruisers still obtain a visa at the mexican consulate in sd and pay in mexico. is 23 dollars in the banco in ensenada. the fishing license for cruising is obtained from conapesca in sd on 5th st....is 48.78 for a year. i was assured by the friends in port cpt office that these have not changed.
ANGERS are a different breed of individual--mexico doesnt like th eover fishing of heir waters by anglers from usa and other places. thre isa big difference between ANGLERS and cruisers.

if you haVE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ANGLER AND DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ANGLER AND CRUISER--ASK CONSULATE FOR MEXICO IN SAN DIEGO. or find the cruisers guide to mexico at downwind marine .
Old 06-06-2012, 18:17   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

fishing visa is different from cruising visa. cruising visa is a tourist visa. angler fishing visa is a commercial fishing visa. BIG DIFFERENCE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: