Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2014, 13:06   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Mexican SAT officials in San Diego presentation

Tonight at 7 PM (Jan 24, 2014) at Sunroad Marina on Harbor Island in downtown San Deigo:

Representatives of the Mexican SAT (IRS & documentation authorities) and seven Western Mexico marinas will present an update on the TIP problems and potential resolution.

The meeting is open to all interested parties and will be held in the Pavilion next to the swimming pool across from the Sunroad Marina Office.

The meeting is being held in conjunction with the Sunroad Boats Afloat Show which is Jan 23 - 26.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 19:23   #2

Re: Mexican SAT officials in San Diego presentation

The meeting was typical of this fiasco!

Got to the Sunroad Pavilion at 6:55 PM. I heard the last two sentences of some American telling the crowd to contact the USCG if you want to change your HIN.

Then "Thanks for being here" and the meeting that was to start at 7 PM was over at 6:57 PM.

Asked a marina official what happened and was told "There were so many folks here at 6:25 PM we decided to start early."

I have no idea was was said at the meeting! But, a video camera was recording the session and I assume some press were there.
Old 24-01-2014, 19:27   #3

Boat: 48' steel cutter

It's better in the Bahamas.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 20:00   #4

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Reminds me of the time my brother and I were in San Jose, Costa Rico, planning to catch the 7AM bus. My brother says " we're going down there at 6AM". Why so early I say, not liking to get up early most times. " Just to make sure we get on the bus" he says. So we get to the bus stop at 630 and buy the last two tickets for the packed bus and the bus leaves half an hour early. Schedules are made to be ignored.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 21:09   #5

This isn't like buying a bus ticket. This was a meeting of govt agencies. Changing the meeting time without public notice or just prior to the scheduled meeting time was and continues to be a favorite tactic of public agencies. It is one of the reasons why the Brown Act was enacted. That this occurred in San Diego may mean there is a violation of the Brown Act however because it included an international agency I really don't know. It is a lame excuse to say they started early because the turnout was more than they expected.

This is akin to the city council extending a scheduled meeting so far into the night that most folks go home to sleep. That is when the council gets down to business.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 21:35   #6

Richard5

Whoa! This was an informal meeting sponsored by the boat show ( I think 'cause I live in the Marina and heard about it at the boat show). It was not a government meeting subject to any kind of regulation.

They were not hiding anything by starting early - the problem was there were TOO MANY people there! When I entered the Pavilion - the closest I could get was three rows back.

I think the early start was typical of the whole problem - the officials involved are just winging it and improvising as they go along. They just don't seem to realize how many people are concerned or affected and they sure don't know how upsetting it is to most of us.

Let's hope something important was said and Lat '38 or the San Diego Log publishes something soon.
Old 25-01-2014, 10:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
Richard5

Whoa! This was an informal meeting sponsored by the boat show ( I think 'cause I live in the Marina and heard about it at the boat show). It was not a government meeting subject to any kind of regulation.

They were not hiding anything by starting early - the problem was there were TOO MANY people there! When I entered the Pavilion - the closest I could get was three rows back.

I think the early start was typical of the whole problem - the officials involved are just winging it and improvising as they go along. They just don't seem to realize how many people are concerned or affected and they sure don't know how upsetting it is to most of us.

Let's hope something important was said and Lat '38 or the San Diego Log publishes something soon.
Officials from an enforcement agency with the full authority of the govt 'just winging it'. Compare that with how strict and decisive they are to enforce regulation.

It bares a close eye whenever govt is involved. The continued behavior of them has earned the watchfulness.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 11:50   #8

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
It's better in the Bahamas.
Ssssh.
Old 25-01-2014, 12:01   #9

With luck, someone who attended the meeting will post their review here. It would be much appreciated.
CSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 12:48   #10

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Ssssh.
If they make it from SoCal/Mexican Pacific to the Bahamas, they have earned it.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego