Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 17:28   #1
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,086
Metric system dumbs us down.

This thought arises from another thread

Metric system is too easy - dumbs down maths in the population due lazy brainwork.
Just like paying people every week instead of monthly has bred a population that would starve if the shops weren't open 24/7.
Just like fast foods has bred a population that can't put together a healthy meal.
Just like GPS dumbs down nav skills.

Thank God for public officials who make life so difficult for freedom hunters that our brains get all the exercise we need.
__________________

__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:12   #2
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 393
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
This thought arises from another thread

Metric system is too easy - dumbs down maths in the population due lazy brainwork.
Just like paying people every week instead of monthly has bred a population that would starve if the shops weren't open 24/7.
Just like fast foods has bred a population that can't put together a healthy meal.
Just like GPS dumbs down nav skills.

Thank God for public officials who make life so difficult for freedom hunters that our brains get all the exercise we need.
Not here in Canada. We've mixed metric and Imperial up so much it is actually a complex part of of our "national heritage" :-)

Watch the video in this tweet from This Hour Has 22 Minutes ( a local comedy group) it's so real it's not funny...

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/841690344597118977
__________________

__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Neverforever.ca
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:28   #3
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,086
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Haha - very good
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 18:50   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 652
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Bring back the stone wheel and the animal skin sail!
__________________
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 19:00   #5
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 728
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

I find the imperial system easier. Think about it. It's basically base 8 - octal - like computers use.

Example: Cup, pint, half-gallon, quart, gallon. Easy.

Funny thing about Canada. All through the Maritimes last year I paid for slips and line by the foot, and when getting directions it was always in miles. One place even asked how many gallons of fuel I needed, even though the pump read liters. Only thing that messed me up was trying to buy deli meats in grams. Wonder what would have happened if I asked for a half-pound?
__________________
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 19:07   #6
Registered User
 
bvander's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 189
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Find it funny, US kicked BritS out in 1700s and yet still today use the imperial system of wieghs and measures, a system based on the size of a kings appendages.
__________________
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:19   #7
Registered User
 
Orion Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Noank, Ct. USA
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 984
Images: 6
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
Find it funny, US kicked BritS out in 1700s and yet still today use the imperial system of wieghs and measures, a system based on the size of a kings appendages.
In Britain miles and MPH are still the norm. If you go into a pub you still get a pint, not some milliliter equivalent. I guess those appendages still have some relevance.
__________________
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:28   #8
rom
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 116
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
In Britain miles and MPH are still the norm. If you go into a pub you still get a pint, not some milliliter equivalent. I guess those appendages still have some relevance.
And you get more than in the US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pint_glass):
"A pint glass is a form of drinkware made to hold either a British ("imperial") pint of 20 imperial fluid ounces (568 ml) or an American pint of 16 US fluid ounces (473 ml)"
__________________
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 20:57   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
Scott Berg's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Aboard
Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Posts: 858
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

So a pint is NOT a pound the world round... in fact the last pint I bought was about 2.3!
__________________
Scott Berg
WA0LSS
SV CHARDONNAY
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 21:15   #10
rom
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 116
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
So a pint is NOT a pound the world round... in fact the last pint I bought was about 2.3!
No, but a bottle of Chardonnay is 75 cl everywhere in the world.
__________________
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 21:54   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 652
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I find the imperial system easier. Think about it. It's basically base 8 - octal - like computers use.

Example: Cup, pint, half-gallon, quart, gallon. Easy.

Funny thing about Canada. All through the Maritimes last year I paid for slips and line by the foot, and when getting directions it was always in miles. One place even asked how many gallons of fuel I needed, even though the pump read liters. Only thing that messed me up was trying to buy deli meats in grams. Wonder what would have happened if I asked for a half-pound?
But is that a us cup and gallon or an outdated imperial (that stands for the British Empire, because Britannia rules the waves.) And are you still measuring in rods, chains and furlongs? What about bushells and pecks and did you build that ark using cubits?
__________________
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 22:59   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,340
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
And are you still measuring in rods, chains and furlongs? What about bushells and pecks and did you build that ark using cubits?
If you buy a piece of property in the states, it will typically be measured in those units.

At the horse racing track, they still measure in furlongs.

In the fall, yes, produce is still purchased in bushells and pecks. Talk to a farmer and they will give you yields in bushells per acre.

Cubits...not so much but that's not a recent change. I think it was pre-middle ages when that left common usage.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 23:02   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,340
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Funny thing about Canada. All through the Maritimes last year I paid for slips and line by the foot, and when getting directions it was always in miles. One place even asked how many gallons of fuel I needed, even though the pump read liters. Only thing that messed me up was trying to buy deli meats in grams. Wonder what would have happened if I asked for a half-pound?
400 grams is roughly a lb. Of course, in europe, they then mess with you as sometimes things are priced in kilos and others are in 100gr units.

Made the mistake in Italy one time when the lady asked how many while buying some deli meat, I said 1. What was supposed to be a light picnic lunch for 4 became some meaty sandwiches.
__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 23:29   #14
Registered User
 
0urh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Great Sandy Straits, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Easy Cat, 10.5m
Posts: 87
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

How come you Yanks have metric money?
__________________
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 23:36   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,899
Images: 69
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
How come you Yanks have metric money?
You beat me to it!

Why not 12pennies to the shilling, 20 shillings to the pound? Proper money!
__________________

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convenience of the metric system Lars_L Off Topic Forum 433 11-11-2015 23:42


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.