Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2017, 15:41   #436
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Metric system dumbs us down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
We started off with a joke about cultural differences of no particular import. These 430 posts later, posts about a triviality, I think the thread has transmogrified into a joke about fanatiscism.

Pax vobiscum!

TP
I think the thread has transmogrified into a really interesting and broad ranging discussion about all sorts of real world measuring systems. I'm really enjoying it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 22:38   #437

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I think the thread has transmogrified into a really interesting and broad ranging discussion about all sorts of real world measuring systems. I'm really enjoying it.
Indeed. A true learning experience

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 22:48   #438

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Here is one that, somewhat surprisingly, has not been discussed or even mentioned, unless I plain missed it. What is the size of a pixel? It is probably best not to answer if you are even slightly apixelated, or is it pixelated?
Old 07-04-2017, 23:37   #439
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Here is one that, somewhat surprisingly, has not been discussed or even mentioned, unless I plain missed it. What is the size of a pixel? It is probably best not to answer if you are even slightly apixelated, or is it pixelated?
It varies depending on screen size and resolution.

A Pixel is one "picture element" or dot on the screen.

So divide your screen width and height by the horizontal and vertical resolution you have currently set and that will tell you the current size of a pixel on your system.

Change the screen resolution on your computer back to the old 640x480 standard and each pixel will probably be at least 4 times the size of one on your current monitor setting.

A pixel will be several inches in height and width on a giant scoreboard in a sports stadium. On a modern computer monitor , they may be in the 1/100ths of an inch range.
Old 08-04-2017, 00:32   #440

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On a modern computer monitor , they may be in the 1/100ths of an inch range.
oh dear - mixing the meteric (1/100th) with imperial (inch)

Will the confusion never stop?

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 08-04-2017, 05:08   #441
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

That's because the common practice with screens and printers is to use DPI (Dots Per Inch).

Oh, BTW it's metric, not meteric
And metric is not a synonym for decimal. It means based on the metre.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:24   #442

When I was a scout we plaid a game, sort of a simple version of "Kim's game": Toss a number of coins on the table so they fall in a random pattern. The "test subject" is to tell you how many coins there are. People will perceive the number instantly, without counting, if the number is six or less. Some people can instantly perceive that there are seven and a very few can instantly perceive that there are eight. Beyond eight, people have to actually count them. I've done it with university students too. Same result.

That's why, I do believe, the "old" system works far better than the decimal system for so many things. We are wired for six!

And something that really tickles me is that tomorrow I'll be knocking up a jig for making finger-joints to join the corners in wooden drawers. The "air" you need to have in each little notch to accommodate each little "finger" so the pieces come together easily, yet will not be too loose, is - you guessed it - 6 "thou"!

I tell you: Homo sapiens is wired for six! The decimal merchants will never win :-)

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:37   #443

Quote: "And metric is not a synonym for decimal. It means based on the metre."

Jai Pedantry - the world needs more of it! :-0)!

Seriously - it does!

My scanner "halftones" material. You can choose between several DPI values. Dunno whether it's useful or not, since I cannot conceive of a situation where you'd ever make a "paper (printing) plate" on a PC. Tho I guess if I played with the function that "copies" photographic negatives, the need for "screening" would emerge.

TP
Old 08-04-2017, 07:13   #444

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's because the common practice with screens and printers is to use DPI (Dots Per Inch).

Oh, BTW it's metric, not meteric
And metric is not a synonym for decimal. It means based on the metre.
The meteric comes from not proof reading adequately - I meant to write metric.

But I agree that metric doesn't mean decimal, although both are in factors of 10

Old 08-04-2017, 08:54   #445

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
When I was a scout we plaid a game, sort of a simple version of "Kim's game": Toss a number of coins on the table so they fall in a random pattern. The "test subject" is to tell you how many coins there are. People will perceive the number instantly, without counting, if the number is six or less. Some people can instantly perceive that there are seven and a very few can instantly perceive that there are eight. Beyond eight, people have to actually count them. I've done it with university students too. Same result.

That's why, I do believe, the "old" system works far better than the decimal system for so many things. We are wired for six!

And something that really tickles me is that tomorrow I'll be knocking up a jig for making finger-joints to join the corners in wooden drawers. The "air" you need to have in each little notch to accommodate each little "finger" so the pieces come together easily, yet will not be too loose, is - you guessed it - 6 "thou"!

I tell you: Homo sapiens is wired for six! The decimal merchants will never win :-)

TP
Very cool:

https://www.google.com/search?q=subi...&client=safari
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48   #446

Well, whaddayaknow! I never thought any more of it, than that it was another one of Baden-Powell's bits of "field craft" from the Boer War :-) Didn't know it had been made into a science :-)

From another article I found as a result of looking at the one you referenced: "They see the domino as composed of two groups of four and as "one eight." Bingo!

You will recall I said "so [the coins] fall in a random pattern". I was aware of the phenomenon of "grouping" because when you play the game you can actually quite readily see this happening. If the random pattern happens to be an "organized" one, the mind "sees" the number of GROUPS in the pattern, but again with a limitation of six to eight, the limit depending on the "subject's" perceptual acuity, which seems to be unrelated to IQ as manifest in a classroom.

Cool indeed!

Thank you very much :-0)!

TP
Old 08-04-2017, 15:55   #447
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Thanks for that - I haven't run across the concept or the word before.

See, that's what I love about threads like this, always some new knowledge to pick up.
Old 08-04-2017, 19:02   #448

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

Oh goody! I created confusion for some. /s/ Loki
Old 09-04-2017, 03:31   #449

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, whaddayaknow! I never thought any more of it, than that it was another one of Baden-Powell's bits of "field craft" from the Boer War :-) Didn't know it had been made into a science :-)

From another article I found as a result of looking at the one you referenced: "They see the domino as composed of two groups of four and as "one eight." Bingo!

You will recall I said "so [the coins] fall in a random pattern". I was aware of the phenomenon of "grouping" because when you play the game you can actually quite readily see this happening. If the random pattern happens to be an "organized" one, the mind "sees" the number of GROUPS in the pattern, but again with a limitation of six to eight, the limit depending on the "subject's" perceptual acuity, which seems to be unrelated to IQ as manifest in a classroom.

Cool indeed!

Thank you very much :-0)!

TP
But wait! most peopel easily recognize a "9" of spadesor hearts etc. Maybe from the pattern? What about "10"s?

Old 09-04-2017, 04:32   #450

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
In sum total, metric, imperial, and traditional, it is still donkey dust.
"Donkey dust" ??? Do you mean "Nun's fart" ???

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote