Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 13:30   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Met tugboat; I blinked

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
most tug companies don't want trouble with recreational vessels. next time get the name of the vessel and then give a friendly call to the port capt of the company with a lightly worded conversation of the incident. just express your concerns and don't get angry

they want to be good neighbors. I have worked on tugs for 35 years and have been sailing for 50. be diplomatic. some times being 3 levels above the water gives you a different perspective than at you level
What a good post! And what good advice. If you really want to change the tug's behavior in future encounters, following this path is more likely to get results than angry responses of any sort.

If the offender is a real jerk, nothing is likely to change him, though. I doubt if many such jerks survive as skippers for too long, or at least we can hope this to be the case!

As others have noted, we've found most professional skippers to be good at their jobs and to follow the COLREGS far more than we WAFIs do.

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 13:45   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
So your wet behind the ears? Air pilots that take a whole plane load of passengers to their death; cops that rape women after stopping their cars, ministers and priests that say "come here little boy/girl"; and so on. Just plain mean exists and if you live long enough you will see it in many places, especially in those with positions of power. Now about that book on the Third something or other.
If I'm wet behind the ears I hope it dries at 73. That is a hell of a way to look at life. Yes there are those that abuse it, their power. I hope that is in the minority. God help my great, great grands if you are correct.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:36   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

One thing I always try to keep in mind is that I am lucky to be on a pleasure boat that is perhaps the dream of commercial crew.....and they just want to take a closer look.

Mark's Seahorse would be a very attractive tug like attraction to a bored tug jockey and he was altering to get within 50m for a good look.

Driving Super yachts....I would get that all the time (especially from smaller sailboats) and we just made our intentions clear .

In harbour conditions, I am comfortable with 50 m and at that CPA, often the cameras were out on the other boat and they were waving hello.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:22   #49

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
One thing I always try to keep in mind is that I am lucky to be on a pleasure boat that is perhaps the dream of commercial crew.....and they just want to take a closer look.

Mark's Seahorse would be a very attractive tug like attraction to a bored tug jockey and he was altering to get within 50m for a good look.

Driving Super yachts....I would get that all the time (especially from smaller sailboats) and we just made our intentions clear .

In harbour conditions, I am comfortable with 50 m and at that CPA, often the cameras were out on the other boat and they were waving hello.
You may have nailed it. He does have a beautiful boat and I can see it being attractive to a tug boat crew.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 20:12   #50

Boat: Fusion 40

On the other side of the coin, I was moored just off a busy ferry jetty showing my boat off to a friend when when this dirty great big ferry nosed up to me, the skipper came out of the wheelhouse to let me know there was a severe storm warning had just been broadcast if I wanted to seek better shelter.

There are some good people.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 18:26   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
On the other side of the coin, I was moored just off a busy ferry jetty showing my boat off to a friend when when this dirty great big ferry nosed up to me, the skipper came out of the wheelhouse to let me know there was a severe storm warning had just been broadcast if I wanted to seek better shelter.

There are some good people.

Scrubby
Yes, on the other side:
I have had a few encounters with Tugs on ICW from Tex to Fl and I have to say they were all friendly. A Tug with a tow once pulled me off a bar at the entrance to San Antonio Bay going North. Was my first day sail by myself in the 80's. I had a Cat with 2' draft and thought I could go anywhere. Later on that same sail, my engine went out South or Morgan city, La. A Tug with tow tied me along side and took me all the way into Morgan City and also fed me with his crew and let me steer the tug. That probably wasn't a good idea with my past rep.

Later on in that same year, I decided if I'm going to learn to sail, I need to get out into the Gulf, so I sailed about a 100 miles due South of Galveston, Tex. At first there was no wind and I bobbed around amongst the oil rigs for three days and didn't get any sleep. Then a Norther hit and I flew South in a rain storm until I tripped over a ice chest I dumbly left in the cockpit. I hyper extended my left knee and cracked some bones in there and broke my left ankle. A few hours later the wind stopped and I bobbed some more sitting there with a splint I had configured with blades from my wind vane. I used a dingy paddle for a crutch. I still hadn't slept and I was beginning to hear voices, and I had broken bones and another Norther was coming. I decided to put out my para-anchor and get some rest. First time I deployed it but it seemed to go well and I slept for about 12 hours. When I awoke it was calm, the sea as flat as glass but my leg was swollen from the knee to foot so decided I better get back into a port. I went to pull in the sea anchor and the line was going straight down. I had forgotten to put a float on the end of chute. It took me an a hour or more to pull up the 12' wide bowl of water. Still in the learning curve and a long curve it had been.

I begin sailing toward Port Arthur, Texas and had good wind out of the SE for about 2 hours and then it stopped again. I was back inside the rigs, my little outboard was out of gas and it was getting dark. About the time I saw a tug/workboat type coming toward me from one of the rigs. He said he had been watching me and wondered if I was in trouble. I told him what happened and that I needed to see a doctor. He threw me a line and towed me into Port Arthur and then took me to the hospital. The hospital wasn't as kind since I didn't have insurance and didn't live there. They x-rayed put a fiberglass cast on leg and foot and billed me $1,500...I told them $700. was all I had, so they took that and sent me on my way. The Tug captain took me back to his boat and I stayed there and slept and ate with his crew for two days.
I know there are probably bad guys out there but I think most of them are pleasant sort of folks.
Old 21-06-2016, 05:02   #52

Maybe it was included in a follow up post and maybe the tug captains was a %@%# but:
- You made no mention of calling on the radio.
- You made no mention of sounding your passing intentions via whistle
- You only angled 15 degrees away...from a distance that may not have been clear that you made a turn. I usually make at least a 45 degree turn so there is no question as required by the colregs.

Sounds like both of you failed to follow colregs for a passing situation.

Finally there is the question of what do you consider too close? Going down the river system, it's common to be within 100yds of a tow (tow not tow boat). In tight spots, being within 50ft is not uncommon (though you pucker up a little at that range). The captain may have simply been comfortable with a much closer pass than you are comfortable with. If that's an actual picture of the incident, I don't see that he was too close.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote