Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 07:53   #16

Boat: Freedom 29
Re: Met tugboat; I blinked

Remember the General Prudential Rule - which, when I taught the rules of the road I explained as: "Your right of way ends where the other fellow's hull begins".

I've seen it from both sides. But, in truth, I've seen less of it from professional mariners. I sail in a restricted channel, and besides keeping my radio on 16, I keep a handheld on 13. Most professionals will talk to you.

In graduate school I worked as a lobsterman. I recall more than one occasion when a power boat would turn to us at high speed and throw up a wake while we were pulling pots.

On the other hand, as Race Chair for my yacht club I had to put into the NOR and SI that you would be disqualified if you interfered with a vessel constrained by draft in the channel. It happened so often by one boat that it was necessary to disqualify him. I was tired of answering questions from the Coast Guard.

The lesson is that a jerk is a jerk. Be it for work or fun, being on the water is a challenging and dangerous activity. Just play nice and everyone gets home safe.
billmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:56   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Nice pilothouse. What kind of boat? ...
SEAHORSE MARINE
Old 08-05-2016, 08:00   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Hey, I'm just out here for pleasure. These guys are working hard at a dangerous job trying to earn a living. I try to keep that in mind and stay well out of their way if I can. Sure, I've run across an occasional SOB, even had an acquaintance who used to run support boats to coastal oil rigs tell me he and his colleagues shared a laugh at how big a wake they could throw at pleasure boats. But for the most part I've found tug drivers to be professional and as courteous as the situation allowed. A radio call is generally responded to with appreciation.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Northbound in the Hudson we had a tug pass on my port side about 20' away and pushing a helluva lot of water, he then made a sharp turn across my bow missing me by about 15' ........ He had all the room in the world to pass me to starboard and head up the East River.

Securite, Securite, Securite - All mariners take heed. The tug Moran heading north bound into the East River in an erratic and dangerous manner.

Heard the CG call him, they never called me and I never heard their conversation.
I like this.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:12   #20

Boat: Trans Pacific Eagle 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Nice pilothouse. What kind of boat? Tonnage rules in reality. Plus tugs can always claim limited in its ability to maneuver. Always a trump card.
If a tug wants to claim "limited in it's ability to maneuver", it must be flying the appropriate day signals during the day or lights during darkness. It isn't something they can just claim after the fact. Everyone should know the appropriate signals, whistles, lights and day shapes when operating in busy waters. The best is to get on Channel 13 and ask his intentions. With all that being said however, size always comes out ahead during a collision, even if you were in the right!
Capt Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Met tugboat; I blinked

Whats that part time toy sailor doing steaming up the middle of the channel like he owns it.. lets chase him to the edge where he belongs...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:36   #22

Boat: ODAY 28

I have meet tugs on the inter coastal water way, I call and ask which side they would like me to pass,
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:47   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Almost sounds both yielding. Today that is idiotic.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
There are good tug boat crew and also bad, who get a kick out of intimidating small craft when running light and pushing a hell of a lot of water.
The bad ones are real idiots, who get a chip on their shoulder cause everyone passes them when they have a tow and are somewhat constrained.

You were right to blink.
I was on a commercial tug as Captain last summer. I was helping another tug. The Captain was so ignorant and clearly lacking experience that I told him at 10:45 hrs that before the day was over that he would be under. At 1600 he capsized and lost his tug. Lucky no one was hurt. He then fled the scene. A real A__hole.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
I drove commercial on the SF Bay for Hornblower and the USS Potomac.

Many SF Bay recreational boaters don't know that Commercial Boats using Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) do not have to monitor VHF Channel 16.

They do however monitor both Channel 13 (Boat to Boat) and channel 14 VTS SF Bay or Channel 12 Golden Gate Approach.

Next time try hailing them on VHF Channel 13 and ask their intentions...

Fair winds
Old 08-05-2016, 13:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Today, heading in the middle of a mile-wide strait, a commercial tug about a mile and a half heading directly toward me, I turned 15 degrees to starboard. Shortly, it was apparent the tug had turned about 15 degrees to his port! And within a few minutes it was apparent we were headed for collision. About 200-yards distant, it was apparent the tug wouldn't give preference to my stand-on status, so I turned 30 degrees to port. ... There was no necessity for the tug to head for port side (to him) of the strait other than to shorten the distance to his destination. Here, small commercial vessels expect recreational vessels to get out of their way.

Boating is a "game." But don't trust anyone to follow the rules. Assume everyone is incompetent unless otherwise demonstrated.
For the most part I have been recreational. Are you speaking a restricted waterway? Colregs do not apply. It is the law of gross tonnage.
Old 08-05-2016, 17:16   #27

Only two rules of the road red-right-returning and give way to tonnage
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 18:32   #28

In the West Indies, many years ago, I was told, "Da bigga boat got da right-o-way, mon." I have found that to be the de facto rule everywhere in the world. Only a fool would insist on any other rule. When you force an issue, you bet your boat on you winning the argument.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 18:40   #29

Many of these replies ignore the fact that Mark mentioned in his OP that the tugboat continued to changed course as he was doing so.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:54   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I haven't heard anyone mention AIS yet. You can easily I.D. the boat and it will even have the Captains name. By law, he is required to respond. If he doesn't, then the second call is to the Coast guard.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote