Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 08:03   #1

Boat: Starcraft Chieftan 22
Marking Rock obdtruction in small lakes

First off, I would like to inform this forum that I have graduated from virtual boating to RL boating. I have purchased a 1975 StarCraft Chieftan 22.
The other weekend I was boating in the area that I grew up in during my childhood and teen years. I notice that a couple of rocks that are just below the surface, that we use to go put a plastic buoy on, were not marked. When was talking to the nearby camp owner, I asked him why he was not marking those out to warn boaters of the danger.
He was telling me that the person who places a buoy on a rock becomes responsible if any boater hits that rock.
Can somebody please clarify this????

Michel
Old 08-09-2016, 08:25   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Marking Rock obdtruction in small lakes

My parents live on a smallish lake, with lots of power boats. Everyone marks the rocks by their docks, for personal safety. There is a lot of weekend traffic on the water from the campground and just about every weekend someone hits a rock because they don't know what the buoy means.
I don't know about legal, but i doubt you would be responsible for someone else's stupidity.
If you run through someone's marked crab traps and wrap your prop, can you sue them?
Edit - when someone pulls them to shore after they trash their prop, they usually state they were curious what the buoy was for
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 15:05   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Marking Rock obdtruction in small lakes

If I was doing it, I'd try to use a proper isolated hazard buoy... not that most lake sailors would know what the topmark meant. But it would at least be correct usage.

Out in the woop-woop, we've used inflated wine box bladders, string and a rock anchor to mark hazards. This has been for our own usage, and not likely to be seen by anyone else.

Jim